Failed 3 times in Florida

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotCMKX

Reaction score
anyone have any advice on which state is easiest to get approved to take the exam?

with a toddler I really cannot afford the money or time to take 12 hours of college courses

thank you for any input

if you need a FL license at some point even if you take it elsewhere you might not get the FL license by comity since you still need 12 hr college credit in their books.

I failed 3 times in FL as well. One of my friends suggests NY since there is an unlimited attempt over there. Please advise me if I should take college courses then retake in FL or give it a try in the other state and make up the courses for the FL comity. Thank you.

Agree with Snick. If you want a PE in FL you will most likely need to take the classes.

No you don't have to take the classes. Just apply to GA or NC or whichver state is closer to you and then just pay the reciprocity fee and....that's all folks :)

So if you fail multiple times and use up your attempts in that particular state, you can apply to a different state's board to take the test? How easy is this done? Do you need an address in that state to apply to take the exam in that state?

No you don't have to take the classes. Just apply to GA or NC or whichver state is closer to you and then just pay the reciprocity fee and....that's all folks :)
Not quite. Anyone applying for a license in Florida has to meet the same degree requirements, even if they are licensed elsewhere. I work with a guy who is a licensed P.E. in 25 states but can't get licensed in Florida because he lacks the academic credentials Florida requires.

so in otherwords, call the FL board and ask if you took it elsewhere would you be able to get a FL by reciprocity

Not quite. Anyone applying for a license in Florida has to meet the same degree requirements, even if they are licensed elsewhere. I work with a guy who is a licensed P.E. in 25 states but can't get licensed in Florida because he lacks the academic credentials Florida requires.
Yes I know about those issues however...cause there is a however you can "trick" the system. Basically you need to check if they accept NCEES Evaluation of your Credentials(from what I know all states accept this evaluation) and if they do just evaluate your degree with NCEES. I had that problem and after I evaluated mine it was missing 2 credits in Social Science group so I took a history class, even though it's an engineering degree. So what I'm saying is that you need search, search, search, always there are ways to get around. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you fail multiple times and use up your attempts in that particular state, you can apply to a different state's board to take the test? How easy is this done? Do you need an address in that state to apply to take the exam in that state?
Every state has different rules regarding who is allowed to take which exam, and even which exam is required for licensure. I know of at least one state where up until last year it was possible to get a P.E. license without ever even taking the P.E. or F.E. exams. You usually don't need to be a resident of the state, but you must meet that state's requirements to take the exam and get licensed there.

Where people run into problems is when they think they can get licensed in an easy state and then use that as a springboard to get a license by comity in a hard state. States only issue licenses by comity to people who meet their requirements. All the comity process really does is allow someone to avoid having to take the NCEES exams again. I used to work with a guy who had the ABET degree, passed the F.E. and P.E., got the experience, and then got licensed in his home state. But when he moved here, he was told that since he took the P.E. before getting his four years of experience (allowed at the time in his home state), he was ineligible for license by comity and would have to take the P.E. again.

Yes I know about those issues however...cause there is a however you can "trick" the system. Basically you need to check if they accept NCEES Evaluation of your Credentials(from what I know all states accept this evaluation) and if they do just evaluate your degree with NCEES. I had that problem and after I evaluated mine it was missing 2 credits in Social Science group so I took a history class, even though it's an engineering degree. So what I'm saying is that you need search, search, search, always there are ways to get around. Good luck.
It doesn't look to me like you "tricked" the system. Florida's Web page states that you have to have an EAC/ABET-accredited bachelor's degree OR an engineering degree that has been officially evaluated as being substantially equivalent to an accredited one. I think you just met the requirements under the second option. My impression is that the original poster either needs 12 credits to get the EAC/ABET degree or was told that the evaluation of their non-EAC/ABET degree resulted in a deficiency of 12 credits.

The orginal poster failed the test 3 times. FL is one of the states that requires college credits after failing 3 time before they will let you sit again.

The orginal poster failed the test 3 times. FL is one of the states that requires college credits after failing 3 time before they will let you sit again.
From the original subject line and message, I thought the meaning was that the poster tried to get approved to take the exam three times. I wasn't aware of the requirement to take an additional 12 credits before being allowed to take the exam again after failing it three times.

I guess the question to ask now is if they require the 12 credits for someone who fails three times in Florida, but then passes the exam in another state that doesn't have such a requirement. I'd check with the Florida board before going that route. Sure would suck if the poster went to another state and passed the exam, only to be told that it won't count for comity in Florida because of the requirement for the additional 12 credits. Florida might say that anyone who fails three times regardless of jurisdiction must get the extra 12 credits if they want to be licensed in the state.

yes my understanding is that after you fail 3 times, you have to take 12 hours of classes.

my plan is to first pass the exam in another state and then take the 12 hours of classes and then transfer the PE back to florida. bc i cannot justify sacrficing the time away from family and money spent on 12 hours of classes without first passing the PE. also the PE exam subjects are fresh in my mind and i want to take the exam again in october.

however, i am hoping there is a state which will allow you to sit for the PE exam without the need of going thru a difficult Exam application process

54/80 = worst feeling ever

yes my understanding is that after you fail 3 times, you have to take 12 hours of classes.

my plan is to first pass the exam in another state and then take the 12 hours of classes and then transfer the PE back to florida. bc i cannot justify sacrficing the time away from family and money spent on 12 hours of classes without first passing the PE. also the PE exam subjects are fresh in my mind and i want to take the exam again in october.

however, i am hoping there is a state which will allow you to sit for the PE exam without the need of going thru a difficult Exam application process

54/80 = worst feeling ever
Florida is known as one of the stricter states, so if you have taken the exam there, you probably qualify to take it in most, if not all, other states. Offhand, I don't know of any jurisdiction with more stringent requirements than Florida's. My state's requirements are pretty much the same as Florida's, but we are no longer required to supply personal references from PEs on the application form, just employment verification from supervisors.

Once I had my paperwork together, I mailed it in and got an approval letter about a week later.

I'd still check with the Florida board to see if your plan will work. I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of taking the exam and then be told it didn't count because it was taken before the 12 credits.

Back