Any tips on how to pass Survey Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatsAndBoots

Reaction score
Just joined this group because I'm hoping someone can help me. Found out I failed Survey exam yet again. At this point I have no idea what to do- I have taken multiple review courses, purchased and studied sample exam books, and devoted a lot of time to passing this. The same approach that worked for the 8-hr exam and seismic exam just doesn't seem to work for me here. It's really disheartening to keep failing this exam, and it is taking a toll on my professional prospects as well- most promotions in my field require a P.E.

Is there a review course the BPESLG endorses? I have found a selection of 3 sample problems on the BPELSG website, but do they publish an actual sample exam like NCEES? Has anyone found success in using the reference texts BPELSG list on their website? Or is there a college course that would provide the background needed to pass this exam? I hate to keep throwing money at this, but if that's what it takes to pass this exam, so be it. In terms of my actual experience, I work in construction inspections, so I do get some exposure to surveying in that context. Any input is appreciated, and congratulations to all of you who have passed!

Which review courses have you taken?

I was able to pass on my second attempt using CPESR and Reza, but ultimately what helped me was making very thorough cheat sheets from those two resources in a way that I understood the basics and could apply to virtually any problem. If you feel like you're having a hard time understanding the fundamentals, really take the time to study those (ie YouTube) as that will help you tremendously with the trig questions.

Sometimes you get lucky or very unlucky with the exam that you get also. I felt like my first exam was all curveball questions and could only answer half confidently. Second time around it felt like it was very similar to the practice exams I took.

Pretty sure BPELSG cannot endorse anything as they cannot be biased or advertise a specific course.

Good luck and don't give up! You're one exam away from being licensed!

Just joined this group because I'm hoping someone can help me. Found out I failed Survey exam yet again. At this point I have no idea what to do- I have taken multiple review courses, purchased and studied sample exam books, and devoted a lot of time to passing this. The same approach that worked for the 8-hr exam and seismic exam just doesn't seem to work for me here. It's really disheartening to keep failing this exam, and it is taking a toll on my professional prospects as well- most promotions in my field require a P.E.

Is there a review course the BPESLG endorses? I have found a selection of 3 sample problems on the BPELSG website, but do they publish an actual sample exam like NCEES? Has anyone found success in using the reference texts BPELSG list on their website? Or is there a college course that would provide the background needed to pass this exam? I hate to keep throwing money at this, but if that's what it takes to pass this exam, so be it. In terms of my actual experience, I work in construction inspections, so I do get some exposure to surveying in that context. Any input is appreciated, and congratulations to all of you who have passed!
Hi there, I took CPERS course and practiced his timed test 5 times and went from 60% to above 80%. I passed last June at first attempt after 4 months of studying. I think you need to be good at Geometry and Trigonometry to pass the exam. Also, you need to memorize the formulas and recognize the problems when you are reading the questions. There are several types of problems, but they are look very similar. The Photogrammetry is the one you need to focus. Timing is also very important. If you can solve the problems without thinking, then you will be OK to go. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back