Expecting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're trying to use one of the 3 names a week (starting this week... with Olivia) when we talk about the nursery, or buying clothes,etc,etc,etc... trying to figure out which we're most comfortable with, which sounds better to us, and which just seems right.... I do think it'll be an "In the Hospital" decision though....

That's a good idea! We need to use the names we are contemplating to see what we think. I never thought of doing that!
That's one thing good about knowing what you are having you can give him or her a name. I picked out our son's first name (Noah) and my husband picked the middle (Christian). I used to talk to him when I would drive to work, I am sure other drivers thought I was talking to myself. With this one we think we have a boy's name, but still undecided on any for girls. We'll know in June what it is. Also you should yell the names out a couple of times and see how it flows! You know your in trouble when your parents yell all three of your names.

If I ever have a Junior Supe of the male persuasion, it's going to be Dexter.

That's a good idea! We need to use the names we are contemplating to see what we think. I never thought of doing that!
That's one thing good about knowing what you are having you can give him or her a name. I picked out our son's first name (Noah) and my husband picked the middle (Christian). I used to talk to him when I would drive to work, I am sure other drivers thought I was talking to myself. With this one we think we have a boy's name, but still undecided on any for girls. We'll know in June what it is. Also you should yell the names out a couple of times and see how it flows! You know your in trouble when your parents yell all three of your names.
I love the name Noah! That was my first choice. But my husband can't get on board with it because he had a bad student named Noah (he's a teacher) and can't get past it. So we are still deciding.

I love the name Noah! That was my first choice. But my husband can't get on board with it because he had a bad student named Noah (he's a teacher) and can't get past it. So we are still deciding.

Funny how we related names to people we know. I like Griffin, but my husband works with a guy named that and he said that man was as dumb as a rock and he couldn't name his son Griffin. I gave him a list of 25 names that I liked with our first one and he picked 3 he liked off it. I really liked Noah and so he said okay if he could pick the middle name. I reluctantly agreed because he had been suggesting names like Hector and Arthur and those weren't the worst, and I am not sure if that was to annoy me or if it was when he told me a reasonable name I'd go with it which is what happened. He came in and said how about Christian? I said yes that sounds great. I didn't want to give him anymore time to think of another ridiculous names. Of course you have that thought will he look like a Noah, and my husband says what does a Noah look like? Noah means peaceful which is not my son, but Noah seems to fit him otherwise. We like Jonah Lee if this one is a boy and I kind of like Ryleigh for a girl and he likes Paige. Still in the think tank though on girls names.

Good luck!

It's funny that you were wondering if your son would look like a Noah. We picked the name for our son probably about 2 months before he was born (we had a girls name since we got married) and from the moment I saw him, I knew it fit. Looking at him now, I couldn't imagine him having a different name.

there's a difference between a southern accent and a drawl. When the drawl is so bad you can't understand what someone is saying is unfortunate. A slight southern accent can be cute. My husbands stepgrandmothers drawl is so bad it is very difficult to understand a word she says, and she is a lifelong southern IL resident.

When we picked names for our 2 little ones, we had 2 rules:

1) They would share initials with us (boy = my initials, girl = wife's)

2) The name had to "flow." I have a very unusual last name that is hard to pronounce, so we had to figure out syllable/consonant/vowel sounds that work with the name.

We also wanted to give our Daughter a flexible name (Alexandra), so depending on how she grows up we can adjust her nickname accordingly. It allows her to have the option of a "male" nickname (Alex) for the work/office environment, she could have a "cute" nickname (Lexi, Sandra, Alexis) if she grows up into a "princess". Having a "male" nickname can provide a certain extra level of equality at the workplace (depending on where she works). For example, my wife's Maiden name is Maxwell so she grew up being called Max. When she worked at Home Depot at the Contractor's desk, she found that when the advice came from "Max" it was accepted, but when it was from Amanda many gave the "she's a girl, what does she know" type of responses.

Last edited:
she is a lifelong southern IL resident.

I wouldn't consider that a southern drawl/accent. I'd call that a southern IL drawl/accent.

Well, living in Southern :wv: my kids most likely will have the southern hillbilly accent. If anyone listened to the people form the mine disaster, I work 30 minutes from that location and that is how we sound. I ordered a computer and the woman on the phone said where are you from and I told her, she said I thought so, to which I replied you must be from the northern states. She said she was from North Dakota. So everyone has an accent to someone else.

Little Structural #2 is on his/her way! Thanksgiving day is what the OB math says. Our little butterball!

Our 1st thinks that it is going to be a sister because it's in "mommy's tummy and [he] has a brother in [his] tummy". That's kind of cute, but makes me think of the alien in Spaceballs. Yes Spaceballs not Alien because Spaceballs is funnier.

Back