Expecting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear things are going well, TX! My wife's bp went up, and as soon as we got to 37 weeks (which happened after the Superbowl), we were induced. Doesn't sound like that will be a problem for you. We had a list of about 6 or 7 names for both female and male. Here are some that we had on our list: Nathan, Matthew, Garrett, Ethan. Feel free to use. BTW, Ted is an awfully good name as well! ;)

Sounds fun!
Do we know the sex? Or do we need to pick unisex names, like Pat, and, um.... I can't think of any others.
It's a boy... here's the deal. We have had a middle name for months... Joseph, after hubby's grandfather.

We decided a few months ago that we want the first name to end with an N because it goes well with Joseph, and it goes well with our last name. So, hubby likes Aiden, and I like Nathan. I'm not a fan of Aiden because it is SOOOO effing popular right now! Hubby doesn't like Nathan because our daughter's nickname is Kate... and he thinks it'd be weird to have a Kate and a Nate. I said I could live with Aiden if we started using AJ as a nickname early on. But, he doesn't like using initials as a nickname.

So, we've gone round and round with this. I think it may come down to whomever happens to fill out the paperwork at the hospital...

as an old guy. I like the traditional names like Joe, Paul, Steve, Dan, Tom, Bob. Sorry, I don't necessarily see how an "n" leads better into Joseph and anything else. In high school the football coach named his son Brian because it was one of the few names that you can't add a "y" or "ee" sound to the end which he felt wasn't manly. (Tommy, Joey, etc.) He got pretty ticked when the girls started referring to the baby as "Bri-Bri".

I said I could live with Aiden if we started using AJ as a nickname early on. But, he doesn't like using initials as a nickname.
Hey !!! Tell your hubby that there isn't anything wrong with using your initials for your name! I have been using mine for the better part of 30 yrs and it fits just fine!

JR

It's a boy... here's the deal. We have had a middle name for months... Joseph, after hubby's grandfather.
We decided a few months ago that we want the first name to end with an N because it goes well with Joseph, and it goes well with our last name. So, hubby likes Aiden, and I like Nathan. I'm not a fan of Aiden because it is SOOOO effing popular right now! Hubby doesn't like Nathan because our daughter's nickname is Kate... and he thinks it'd be weird to have a Kate and a Nate. I said I could live with Aiden if we started using AJ as a nickname early on. But, he doesn't like using initials as a nickname.

So, we've gone round and round with this. I think it may come down to whomever happens to fill out the paperwork at the hospital...
How about Raymond? Raymond Joseph has worked well for me for the last 32 years (and I was called RJ for most of my life up until I entered the work force.

-RJ

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Raymond? Raymond Joseph has worked well for me for the last 32 years (and I was called RJ for most of my life up until I entered the work force.
-RJ
The name is Raymond Jay Johnson Jr. Now you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me RJJ, but youse doesn't have to call me Mr. Johnson.

(I'm showing my age. Maybe others will remember this, too.)

in case you don't know what the $%&^ I'm talking about

I guess I'm the kind of person who really doesn't understand the point of naming a child say michael if you know you are going to call him Mike...why not put mike on the birth certificate as the official name. Or calling them by the middle name as their first name. The neighbor did this with their newest. Susanna gwendolyn, but they call her gwen...all it does is confuse the kid.

I'm not sure about the first name ending in "n"; I think "m" would give a similar sound transition. In reality, though, probably the only time the first and middle name are used together is when the kid is in trouble. I think the combination should be very distinctive and authoritative, so when you yell, "XXXXXXX JOSEPH", it will be intimidating.

I guess I'm the kind of person who really doesn't understand the point of naming a child say michael if you know you are going to call him Mike...why not put mike on the birth certificate as the official name. Or calling them by the middle name as their first name. The neighbor did this with their newest. Susanna gwendolyn, but they call her gwen...all it does is confuse the kid.
We have:

Joseph Raymond (Joe or Joey)

Elisabeth Marie (Emmie)

Charles Michael (Charlie or Char)

We tried to pick names that a) went with my last name and B) looked good on a business card.

Eventually I will stop calling my twins 'Handsome Boy' and 'Pretty Girl'.

Having Michael on b. cert. is irrelevant if you're only ever gonna call him Mike - its just that kids do grow up eventually, and Tom's maybe become Thomas's, Cindy's Cynthia's, and Mike's Michael's (say this 3 times fast). This exact thing happened with my sister. Having the "full" name on the record books make this name transistion (if it even happens) occur without being tinged with snobbiness or arrogance, as it would be, after all, his / her actual name. I guess i'm saying, you can always be Mike to your friends & family if named Michael, but if you're just named Mike, how do you get off wanting to be called Michael later in life?

Totally agree w/ the middle name thing - whatever name you want to use on the child, make that the 1st name - everyone knows middle names are for angry parents and for child's peers to make fun of down the road, right?

My son's name is Nicholas, and yes, he goes by Nick - his middle name is Robert, after my dad. Now, in a thank-you Hollywood moment, my mother-in-law has taken to calling him Nicky Bobby (along the lines of Ricky Bobby ala Talladega Nights) - makes me chuckle i guess, and he's only 20 mo., so he's oblivious to it anyways. I don't know if any names or combos of name are ever safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having Michael on b. cert. is irrelevant if you're only ever gonna call him Mike - its just that kids do grow up eventually, and Tom's maybe become Thomas's, Cindy's Cynthia's, and Mike's Michael's (say this 3 times fast). This exact thing happened with my sister. Having the "full" name on the record books make this name transistion (if it even happens) occur without being tinged with snobbiness or arrogance, as it would be, after all, his / her actual name. I guess i'm saying, you can always be Mike to your friends & family if named Michael, but if you're just named Mike, how do you get off wanting to be called Michael later in life?
Totally agree w/ the middle name thing - whatever name you want to use on the child, make that the 1st name - everyone knows middle names are for angry parents and for child's peers to make fun of down the road, right?

My son's name is Nicholas, and yes, he goes by Nick - his middle name is Robert, after my dad. Now, in a thank-you Hollywood moment, my mother-in-law has taken to calling him Nicky Bobby (along the lines of Ricky Bobby ala Talladega Nights) - makes me chuckle i guess, and he's only 20 mo., so he's oblivious to it anyways. I don't know if any names or combos of name are ever safe.
Even as a child I cringed when people called me Nikki instead of Nicole, it's just not my name. The names of endearment like pumpkin and peanut are different bc its easily to distinguish from the real thing.

I want my kids to have names that will sound somewhat professional when they are adults. I have a friend whose name is Cindy (that's the name on the birth certificate). When she tells people her name is Cindy, they assume that Cindy is a nickname for Cynthia (or something similar). Same goes for something like Nick or Mike or Will... it's just assumed that it's really Nickolas, Michael, or William.

As for nicknames, I didn't choose for my daughter to be called Kate. For the first 5.5years of her life, she was Katie or Kaitlyn (name on birth certificate). Last year she decided that Katie was too babyish, and she wanted to be called Kate. I remember being called "Stephie" when I was little and I hated it... especially when I was a teenager and my (much older) cousins were still calling me Stephie. So, when she said that she didn't want to be called Katie, I stopped calling her Katie. I'm sure that at some point, our son will choose his own nick name...

My sister's name is Jacquelyn. Poor girl spent most of her early childhood years being called Squibby (something to do with her cheeks), although she liked the nickname at first. Then came Jacqui. We, family, still call her Jac or Jacqui, but by God, you better introduce her or refer to her as Jacqueline in all other circles - and i respect that and try my hardest to remember to do that. My mom fights it, like she should be above it, but parents should respect their adult children's preferences in these matters. Jacqueline is after all her name.

My daughter's name is Natasha - yup, she goes by Tash or Tasha (please not ever Nattie!) - If she ever becomes a power attorney (or engineer) for a large corporation, i suspect folks will be calling her Natasha - but for us along the way, she'll always be our Tash. We too wanted names that would better meld into professional arenas some day - whether at the Winter Olympics someday, or working for Globo-megalo-cyberdyne corporation.

C-Dog, i am so sorry. i just now ventured back into this thread and saw your posting. i am so sorry. You and Mrs. C-Dog are in our prayers.

Family birth given names:

My dad = Jackie

My uncle = Jimmie

My mom = Beaulah

My dad's side = redneck, My mom's side = German

Thank God they named me Timothy instead of Timmy. That name just pisses me off.

With #3 on the way, I do like the name Joseph, but I'd be calling him Joey for sure. Waddyagonnado?

that's my view. give the kid the full formal name, and he will tell people what he wants to be called. I cut people right off when they shorten my name.

so don't go calling me Cem! :eek:ldman:

that's my view. give the kid the full formal name, and he will tell people what he wants to be called. I cut people right off when they shorten my name.

so don't go calling me Cem! :eek:ldman:
How about 'menty'?

Back