Exercise/Weight Loss

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so whats a decent supplement to take that actually helps?
or am I better off just eating better (& all that shit) ???
Supplements are just meant to 'supplement' your diet, they are not meant to replace it.

The only way to do it is through proper nutrition. They've never made a pill yet that's either legal or illegal that can do it by itself. Supps only help out some.

Eating proper foods in the right amounts is the only way.

Friend of mine at work said that his brother was big into body building and took massive amounts of protein suppliments...

Then he didn't drop a deuce for over a week, ended up passing a turd that was HUGE. He was seriously bound up.

I haven't ever messed with the suppliments, but have found that my body is only capable of building a set amount of muscle with my existing diet (no matter how much I lift). I'm limiting my mass by diet at this point, but I'm not looking to get huge either.

DV - I was wondering why my weight loss tapered off when I worked cardio at the gym on the elliptical and I operate in the 80-90% range for HR, maybe I should slow down to the 70% and see if weight loss begins again.

He didn't drop a deuce for a week because he wasn't eating the veggies that he should have been.

When I help guys get ready for a competition I keep them on solid foods and away from protein powder. Solid foods boost the metabolism while being broken down and digested, powders do not.

On the cardio, when the intensity is too high, the body cannot effectively break down fats into ketones fast enough to be used as a fuel source so it switches over to nitrogen breakdown (muscle tissue) if the activity is sustained for a long duration. More than a minute or two.

For an example look at 5k, 10k, and marathon runners. They are skinny as a rail but flabby and smooth. That's because they body breaks down alot of muscle to be more effecient for endurance purposes. Too much muscle burns too many calories during a marathon, so the body burns that muscle off.

Then, look at olympic sprinters. They are muscular and lean. Their bodies do not burn off the muscle because they are not 'endurance' athletes.

That is why interval training is so effective at fat burning.

It's more complex, but I hope you get my point.

Just an update: I've lost 14 pounds since the beginning of December by cutting back on portions at dinner, cut out snacking, drinking lots of water, and playing basketball/cardio at the gym. :woot: :woot:

Sweet.

We've started the "Biggest Loser" here at the office. I have to lose 40 lbs. by April 17th.

I'm down 6 this week.

Chicken, veggies, fruits, salad, and water.

My goal was to be at my pre-pregnancy weight by the new year. I still have 5 lbs to go, which are always the hardest. But I'm training for a 1/2 marathon, so hopefully that will do it.

Good luck dvinny.

congrats Peter, and good luck to others

my PE present was I signed up for the New ING Marathon in Ga (late march) I was already running 20 miles a week for the last 2 months, I just need to get up to the long runs.

I need to be back in gutless shape by the time Sea-Doo season rolls around..

the last time I did 26.2 (2003) I was still smoking a pack a day (camel-filters) so I am hoping the training will be easier than it was when I was also destroying my lungs.

& yeah, I was "that guy" who was walking around the parking lot enjoying a smoke aabout a half hour after running a 4:02 marathon time (my PR) that nicotine must be some strong shit..

Frazil which 1/2 marathon are you doing? to me a 1/2 marathon is much more fun than a 10K!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing the Covered Bridges 1/2 marathon in VT. It's a big event (~2000 people) and it's a lot of fun. I did it a couple years ago too.

It's a goal of mine to someday run a marathon. Are you following a training schedule?

yes I got one from runnersworld.com they have good stuff

I have run 2 before (in 2001 & 2003) so its been a while.

I did a bunch of 1/2's to build my confidence for the full marathon. The one's I ran in Atlanta only had <1000 people so after 8 miles you were mostly by yourself and there was no crowd so it was you and you!

The new one is supposed to have 20,000 runners so maybe it will be more interesting.

Mainly I had to sign up so at least I would force myself to run, its to easy for me to skip running at lunch when I dont have it hanging over my head..

Wow, that's impressive that you all are able to run a marathon! I would love to do that. I tried to get into running a couple of years ago and got bored with it pretty fast. It would be more fun for me if I joined a club and trained with others.

there's a method called the Zone...

developed by a PhD in biochemistry as an offshoot of his research on how a body absorbs things...

it balances protein/carbs/fats, so the correct sugar levels, etc. are maintained and by doing so consumes the fat...

it's been used by olympic wrestlers & US mil spec op types...

I did it for 3 months, lost 20 lbs and actually ate more, yet better...

it's a lifestyle deal...it's good for your heart, etc., plus you feel better...

http://www.zonediet.com/public/about-the-zone-diet.aspx

you can regulate the loss based on consumption qty, but you must keep the ratios the same...

it's perfect for an engineer, involves knowing rations, and carb, etc. qtys of various foods...once you do it for a while, the meals become standard...

my std breakfast

1/2 cup low fat yogurt

1/2 apple

1/2 protein bar

1 glass of water

:D

It baffles my mind that a human can run a marathon in just over 2 hrs. A 13mph average pace for 2hrs!! :wacko:

Back