Exercise/Weight Loss

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of eggs, my 7yr old cracked me up so bad this morning I almost ran off the road while taking him to school. He's been hog hunting with me a couple of times so he knows how prolific they are on the property we hunt. He likes to talk about hunting all the time and this morning he brought up the subject in conversation.

"Daddy, what will happen if the hogs just keep laying eggs and keep laying eggs and keep laying eggs?"

He knows that hogs don't lay eggs, he was just yanking my chain. I almost lost it I was laughing so hard.

:true:

Is it true that pop (soda for all non-West Virginians), even diet pop, slows down your metabolism? Seems like a guy at the gym told me this a couple of years ago.

Using Elington Darden's "Flat Stomach ASAP", (now AKA Bowflex Plan), using weight machines and free weights, both me and my wife have lost 30lbs plus in the past in an 8 week period.

Keep calories in the 1200-1500 range, drink lots of water, and lift weights with high intestity really slow to failure in the 4-8 rep range. Once you reach failure, hold the position for 30 seconds. Spotters are required with free weights, but since you are lifting lower amount of weight really slow, even weaker spouse can spot.

Drink 1 to 2 gallons of water per day to help rehydrate the fat into carbs, and to free the liver to fat conversion rather to than taking care of toxins. THe water will flush toxins through the kidneys.

I hope this helps.

Remember, in engineering, it is a mass/energy balance.

Is it true that pop (soda for all non-West Virginians), even diet pop, slows down your metabolism? Seems like a guy at the gym told me this a couple of years ago.
This is the killer to most people's diets. Regular Soda (not diet) is terrible for you.

A regular can of Coke has like 44grams of sugar in it, that's 180 calories. So if you go by the 400 calorie per meal guidelines I wrote above, and add a coke to the meal, you just ruined it by going over. But, it's actually worse than that. The Coke is simple sugar, which the body will use first for energy, so the other carbs will be stored as fat, and the fact that you give a spike in simple sugar to your system by drinking the Coke will cause your body to release insulin.

The insulin regulates your blood sugar levels by "pushing" the sugar into cells. It will push what is needed at first to the starving cells, and the rest will be pushed into fat storage.

when it comes to fat cells, they are either accepting or giving. The insulin causes them to accept. This means they are not giving, so you are not losing any fat.

That is why I have listed complex clean carbs above because the simple carbs (sugars) cause the biggest spike in insulin. Complex carbs cause a spike but it's much smaller. The Atkins diet works for the fact that there a ZERO spikes because there are no carbs.

Oh, and diet soda doesn't really affect your diet or metabolism because there is zero calories. Although, I have read studies that give info suggesting that phenylalinine (in diet drinks) causes a blind spike in insulin, which would shut down fat release.

I don't buy into that. I drink diet soda all the way thru my bodybuilding show prep and get into 4-5% bodyfat levels. I only drop diet soda out the last few weeks because of it's sodium and carbonation content, not because of insulin spikes.

Also, don't believe the Low Carb beer bullshit like Michelob Ultra. I love Ultra, but not because I believe it to only have 2.5 carbs.

They say there is only 2.5 carbs because the rest is "Sugar Alcohols" and FDA doesn't make them claim sugar alcohols. You can name them whatever you want, but they still spike insulin and they still have 4 calories per gram, so an Ultra still has as many calories as a Bud Light, and there is really no difference. It's a marketing scheme.

Oh, and diet soda doesn't really affect your diet or metabolism because there is zero calories. Although, I have read studies that give info suggesting that phenylalinine (in diet drinks) causes a blind spike in insulin, which would shut down fat release.
I don't buy into that. I drink diet soda all the way thru my bodybuilding show prep and get into 4-5% bodyfat levels. I only drop diet soda out the last few weeks because of it's sodium and carbonation content, not because of insulin spikes.
It DOES SO AFFECT IT.

The caffeine in the soda causes you to dehydrate more, so you need to drink more water in order for your liver to break down fats quicker.

You can safely lose 1lb of fat per day following proper diet, hydration, weight training, low stress, and rest program.

No surgery required, and after a week of getting over the sugar adictions, you won't feel hungary eating 5 or 6 mini-meals per day.

If you think caffeine negatively affects your metabolism then you are badly mistaken.

Why do you think the ECA stack is so popular? Because it works. It works REALLY well.

Dehydration because of a can of diet soda? Do you know how extreme that is? Anyone dieting and training knows that you should have a good amount of water intake. More than a gallon a day is bad. But you will not dehydrate or come close to it because of the minimal amount of caffeine in diet soda.

DV is right. Eat smaller meals more often. Also, the Ephedra stack was very effective.

Like someone else said, lifting weights also helps burn fat. If you notice on cardio machines at the gym, there's a target heart rate for fat burn. Try that too.

Good point SkyWarp. Fat burning is most efficient around 70% of your maximum heart rate. Once you get to 85% of your Max heart rate you are in cardiovascular improvement mode and will burn little to no fat.

To find your target area, take 220 minus your age and multiply by the 70%. So if you're 30 yrs old, it would be 220 minus 30 = 190*.7 = 133 beats/minute

I lost about 50 lbs over 6 months about 2 years back by simply hitting the gym and using the eliptical joggers (various types) for about 20 minutes at a pop then hitting the weights for another 20 or 30 minutes as well as cutting back on the sugar and other carbs. In addition, I ate fruits instead of other snacks and ate 3 meals instead of 2. I don't want to associate myself with the Atkins diet or any other carb conscious "diets" because I think the exercise was just as important, I previously ate too much junk food and I never really read any or subscribed to any official diet plans.

I've since rebounded about 15 lbs but most people thought I was too thin back then and I have totally cut out my exrcise and seriously slacked up on my "diet" since then.

Never before had I ever attempted (or had to) lose weight. This system worked the first time.

Ed

The technique I found most effective post-college was 'body for life.' I hate gimmicky diets, but this one made sense.

Eating:

Smaller, more frequent meals (6/day)

Have a portion of protein and carbs at eat meal

Add vegetables at two meals

A portion is about the size of a fist

Exercise:

alternate cardio and weight training days

base workouts on intensity levels and increase your intensity level each set/minute

Take one day off per week to not exercise and eat what you want.

I'm starting the new year taking more of the 'healthy foods' approach:

- no more cokes (did this during college, but have slowly fallen off)

- no fast food

- bring lunch to work (eating out too much lately, but a new job next year may change the pattern)

- reduce processed foods/increase vegetables and fruits

- exercise more (goal of a 5k in march)

The technique I found most effective post-college was 'body for life.' I hate gimmicky diets, but this one made sense.
Eating:

Smaller, more frequent meals (6/day)

Have a portion of protein and carbs at eat meal

Add vegetables at two meals

A portion is about the size of a fist

Exercise:

alternate cardio and weight training days

base workouts on intensity levels and increase your intensity level each set/minute

Take one day off per week to not exercise and eat what you want.

I'm starting the new year taking more of the 'healthy foods' approach:

- no more cokes (did this during college, but have slowly fallen off)

- no fast food

- bring lunch to work (eating out too much lately, but a new job next year may change the pattern)

- reduce processed foods/increase vegetables and fruits

- exercise more (goal of a 5k in march)
I did the no coke, no fast food thing for about a year in college (yeah IN college) and I didnt lose much weight but my "overall" health went way up. I felt better and got sick less often.

The best weight lose plan I ever had was working part time at Best Buy my senior year of school. I only had 3 classes so I worked most evenings from about 5 till 10:30. As a sales person there you are on your feet running around so much that I dropped 15 pounds in about 3 months. I even ate McDonalds like crazy because it was the only thing close by. I always tell myself if I ever get mega-fat Im going to go work at Best Buy again to shed that weight.

Right now Im in pretty bad shape. Im 6' and at ~215 which is 15 pounds heavier then I would like. Part of the problem of getting me motivated is that I carry a lot of my weight in my legs and upper body. When I put on weight it actually makes me look like Ive been working out more so it doesnt motivate me to ACTUALLY workout. If the weight went straight to my gut I would be in the gym EVERYDAY like a fiend.

youre right, i worked at Home Depot in college for about 3 years, and I lost a boatload of weight, my aisle was "the nail aisle" not as bad as lumber, but nail delivery day was awful

Bill Phillips wrote "Body for Life" and it is a VERY good program for the average person. He is very knowledgable, it is not a gimmick, but a correct way of eating.

I'd recommend it to anyone other than a competitive bodybuilder. (only because our diets are much more strict getting ready for a show)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Phillips wrote "Body for Life" and it is a VERY good program for the average person. He is very knowledgable, it is not a gimmick, but a correct way of eating.
I'd recommend it to anyone other than a competitive bodybuilder. (only because our diets are much more strict getting ready for a show)
I agree. I did it after a friend recommended it and I loved it.

I have a question though, since you're a bodybuilder: the only problem I had was getting gas with all the protein. I enjoyed the shakes, but wasn't married at the time and might get some objections to the diet when I get on it again. Is there some enzyme you can take to reduce this problem or is it just a matter of your body getting used to digesting the extra protein?

Big problem. (if you don't live alone)

Not all protein powder is good for everyone. I use Met-Rx because it goes well with my digestive system. I can't use alot of the other big brands because I'll feel like I'm going to puke it back up, or it'll give gas, etc.

You have to shop around until you find one that you can take without any problems, then go with it.

Back