Everything you wanted to know about the CA-Survey/Seismic Civil PE Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone get their authorization for re-examination for the 2nd quarter? Applied for re-exam in January and haven't heard anything since. 
Authorization to schedule exams California Civil exams during the 2nd quarter (April-June) will be sent out near the end of March to all eligible candidates.  And then a follow up notice will be sent to capture any remaining eligible candidates shortly early into the 2nd quarter.

I took an 18-hour seminar with John Pavlik, held in Irvine CA by the Irvine Institute of Technology. Here's the link http://irvine-institute.org/seismic-principles-spring-schedule-2018/

Really great course, he also does it live if you live far. He assigns homework and problems you should do before the next lecture. The classes alone, his manual, and the Surveying Principles book by Cuomo is all I used.

And I think you're right, like you said, I got adopted into the new system.  
Is this course being offered again for 2019?

I checked the schedule, but it still shows the 2018 schedule. 

Hello.  Is School of PE good courses to take for the CA Surveying and seismic?  Or should I use another?  Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity what the difference between the stamp that says Licensed professional engineer and Registered Professional Engineer? In the congratulation e-mail I got from the board, the board attached a pdf that in includes my stamp sample and says “ Licensed Professional Engineer “ and based on that I ordered my physical stamp, however, my boss stamp says “ Registered Professional Engineer “ . Wondering if there is any difference.   

@CAPLS

https://www.pestamps.com/product/california-engineer/

AF9AE998-F014-438C-9E4D-890365F40732.jpeg

067ECCEA-1812-4D34-BE78-E4D9090B3133.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So am I reading the new CA application process correctly:

• You can take the 8-hour as soon as you graduate
  • You need to pass the 8-hour exam(maybe?) and have the qualifying experience to apply then sit for the CA specific exams (60 day approval+scheduling) and take home ethics
  • Pass all the exams, complete the experience, and pay all your fees
  • ?????
  • Licensure
in other words, I have to wait to finish my last year of experience before I can attempt the two state exams (I just passed the 8-hour).

The language on the Board website is fairly clear.. I'm just hoping someone knows of a method to take them sooner. 

Hi all,

I'm looking to take review courses for CA Seismic & CA Surveying. I took EET's course for the 8 hour exam and passed (transportation). Although the lecture/materials were good, the only thing I wish that the on-demand version had was the ability to speed up videos. They use Adobe Connect so this function wasn't available. I found it a pain to listen through the lectures at normal speed especially if reviewing/rewatching a specific part.

Can anyone provide some details about the on-demand versions of the several different review courses that you have personally tried? (Quality instruction, up to date materials, most importantly THE ABILITY TO SPEED UP THE VIDEOS).

I would appreciate it so much.

Best of luck to all with your careers!

-AM

Hi everyone

I have brand new 3 exam EET CBT book if anyone is interested. New never used. 50 dollars. thanks

Out of curiosity what the difference between the stamp that says Licensed professional engineer and Registered Professional Engineer? In the congratulation e-mail I got from the board, the board attached a pdf that in includes my stamp sample and says “ Licensed Professional Engineer “ and based on that I ordered my physical stamp, however, my boss stamp says “ Registered Professional Engineer “ . Wondering if there is any difference.   

@CAPLS

https://www.pestamps.com/product/california-engineer/

View attachment 13105

View attachment 13107
The term "registered" is an outdated term.  The Board began moving towards "Licensed" or simply "Professional Engineer" or "(insert discipline here) Engineer" over a decade ago.  Not all of the laws reflect this change because it is simply too cumbersome and potentially troublesome to have the Legislature initiate a bill just to do that so changes get made as opportunities arise.  It's my experience that more licensees now use the term "Professional Engineer".

The term "registered" is an outdated term.  The Board began moving towards "Licensed" or simply "Professional Engineer" or "(insert discipline here) Engineer" over a decade ago.  Not all of the laws reflect this change because it is simply too cumbersome and potentially troublesome to have the Legislature initiate a bill just to do that so changes get made as opportunities arise.  It's my experience that more licensees now use the term "Professional Engineer".
Got it! Thank you for the clarification. 

Hi all,

I'm looking to take review courses for CA Seismic & CA Surveying. I took EET's course for the 8 hour exam and passed (transportation). Although the lecture/materials were good, the only thing I wish that the on-demand version had was the ability to speed up videos. They use Adobe Connect so this function wasn't available. I found it a pain to listen through the lectures at normal speed especially if reviewing/rewatching a specific part.

Can anyone provide some details about the on-demand versions of the several different review courses that you have personally tried? (Quality instruction, up to date materials, most importantly THE ABILITY TO SPEED UP THE VIDEOS).

I would appreciate it so much.

Best of luck to all with your careers!

-AM
I did the same for WRE, I feel your pain. I was thinking that you could run some screen recording software while the videos are playing and you're doing something else to make a clip that you could speed up on a seperate video player.

Hey everyone,

Which references are absolutely necessary for the Seismic Exam?

Can we use ASCE 7-10 or do we have to get the 2016 version? Also, do we need to bring the CBC or IBC or both (what version would suffice)? My employer may have some of these books but I'm not sure if the exam will pull stuff from the most current versions of the codes.

Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back