Electrical PE Exam - Oct. 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question... I'm pretty sure that is correct though. I think pass/fail is handled by each state that administered the exam.
Can anyone offer some insight? [mention=14295]knight1fox3[/mention]?
Negative. Email with results will come from NCEES. In some cases, certain state boards or other 3rd party exam administrations (i.e. PCS) will first need to "validate" the results. But once complete, either look for the email or check your My NCEES account and the status will be updated accordingly. HTH

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Results were released in Florida this afternoon, I passed!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you my friends! I wish all the best!

TN is out.

I passed.

Thanks for all the tips and help this community has provided me.

All the best.

Congrats for all those passing. And good luck for those waiting.

I passed 

Thanks to all my friends in this forum, it was great time and experience.

Wish you all the best.

Failed Nashville, TN 2017 Oct. Power PE  :(    

49/80... EEK...

Congrats to all those passed and passing!

Round 2... here we come! 130 days and counting. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Passed, second try.

If you failed your first time don't be discouraged too much. 2nd time around, while the test is still hard, you won't be overwhelmed like the first time. I jumped from 65% to 78%

Passed, second try.

If you failed your first time don't be discouraged too much. 2nd time around, while the test is still hard, you won't be overwhelmed like the first time. I jumped from 65% to 78%
How do you know your score! Are you in Texas?

@vickass & @navixv 

How did your study approach/method change for the retake?

I've got all my study material organzied. I know I need to get better on the practice exams for one thing.

Thanks,

Brip

@vickass & @navixv 

I've got all my study material organzied. I know I need to get better on the practice exams for one thing.

Thanks,

Brip
First time around I had the following references: NEC, NESC, Complex Imaginary, Spin-Up, Graffeo's Engineering Guide, Wildi Electrical Machines and Drives, and miscellaneous pdfs printed out and put in a binder.

Second time, I bought Camaras Engineering Guide (not bad to have as a backup reference though I spent no time studying it), Power Systems Analysis by Grainger and Stevenson (I didn't read this but used it during the exam to answer a couple questions, useful), and a new practice exam I found (http://www.engproguides.com/powerexam.html).

I highly recommend that exam linked above. Also, NCEES has released a new practice exam so it's worth getting that.

My studying strategy the second time was this: First I went through the Spin-Up practice exams pretty quickly. This is a very easy practice book which I used to as a warm-up to get back in the studying mindset after a little while off. Then, I actually sat down and read a textbook for the first time in my life. Even in college I didn't really read textbooks. I read through most of Wildi's book and tabbed each section in the important chapters (transformers, transmission  and distribution, and generators/motors). Obviously this took a while. While I didn't necessarily learn everything I read, when it came time to answer questions, I was able to recall familiar sections and referred back to them using tabs/index. Then after reading, I simply did practice problems for about a month. Complex Imaginary is decent so I went through all four exams, then the exam linked above and the ncees exam. The key to doing practice problems is actually understanding the problems and solutions. It's not enough to answer a practice problem, you have to actually understand why the answer is correct and why the other answers are incorrect. So I used my references to find the answers and tried to expand on the solutions.

Oh and see what subject you are weakest at from the previous exam and make sure to study that even more. For me, Protection was the worst. So I found a few chapters out of a textbook and printed them out and actually studied them.

@vickass & @navixv 

Thanks,

Brip
I spent a lot of time with the NEC and NESC. You can get 100% marks on these topics if you know the context. Protection/Area Classification/ IP Ratings / PLCs / Circuits / Harmonics/ Coordination are some of the topics which are easy to score. Testmasters has an amazing code section which gives a great summary. Special applications is a must to ace. Energy Management/Reliability are some of the topics you need to be good at. 

Back