EET-SE Review

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll second the strategy of taking it over an extended time; it can really wear on you when you have to study for the SE exam for 1 or 2 (or more...) years. However, after talking with a lot of people here about how best to tackle the exam the majority agree that this way does appear to be the least stressful and more practical method despite the long timeline involved.
Studying for both seems (from so many that I see succeed) to be the best way to tackle this test.  When you study for Day 1 you learn a lot of the basics of design.  When you transition to Day 2 studying you are simply applying a new analysis technique.  I have found that if you move too far away from the studies of Day 1 exam you forget a lot of the basic design principles that help so much in Day 2.  For instance, I studied for 4 months for Day 1 alone but sat for Day 2 just to get the experience.  I passed Day 1 and did pretty well on Day 2 for not have studying at all!  I took Day 2 by itself again the next time and again studied for 3-4 months for the exam focusing strictly on the lateral portions of each code that was required.  That time i failed the Day 2 exam and scored only slightly higher than I did without studying for it at all.  This is a pattern I see a lot in others as well which seems to be why there are so many repeat takers on Day 2.  I would say this approach is a little tougher on the Bridge guys because it seems the lateral bridge design procedures are quite different whereas for buildings engineers it is just an extension of the AM test.  Bridge engineers have to master both areas of structural engineering.

How good are the binder that EET provides for the SE courses?  I took their Civil-Structural Depth On-Demand and the binder was my main resource for the afternoon.

I took the EET SE Lateral online demand course this past fall.  I had taken and failed the SE Lateral (Bridges) multiple times over the past few years, primarily due to the AM multiple choice questions which I was never able to achieve an acceptable level.  I almost always got "Acceptable" on all 3 of the PM bridge essay questions.

I have taken a couple of different review courses and I found EET to be the best option.  I used School of PE in the past, which helped me past the SE Vertical (Bridges) on my 1st attempt.  I took School of PE again for the Lateral and found that only the instruction for the bridge PM essays was worthwhile.  I also tried Kaplan's online demand course for Lateral and did not find the instruction to be very helpful.  There was limited application to exam problems and too much background discussion.

Just to give some background on my experience with the EET SE Lateral online demand course: I signed up rather late and did not start studying until September 18th for the October 29th exam.  However, I worked through all of the online tutorials nearly every night and spent my entire weekends studying up until the exam.  My focus was on topics related to buildings for the AM portion, which I struggled with in the past.  The instruction was extremely helpful and there are many homework problems to go with it.  I would advise anyone who is interested in this class to take advantage of its wealth of information and practical exam problems.  As stated in one of the posts above, the exam simulation is extremely helpful.  No other course I have taken previously offers this level of training.  Both instructors are extremely knowledgeable and very approachable for 1 on 1 tutoring in the evenings to answer questions.  Although I did not focus too much on the bridge PM essays since I had always done well in the past, the course material is also extremely valuable.

I found out on December 12th that I passed the SE Lateral (Bridges) to close out that chapter.  Again, I highly recommend EET for the SE review courses and I am confident that this applies to any of their other topics (Civil PE, CA Seismic PE, FE, etc.).
How much would you say you studied outside the lectures on your own?

How many practice problems were provided in the course?  Was there enough material to keep you busy throughout the week learning the codes?  Like homework assignments?  I think that practice problems are where I need to the most work as I don't do quick hand calculations much in practice.

I am taking the EET lateral class right now and wanted to share my opinion of the class.  So far the class has been extremely informative, and very professional.  The sessions are clear and the class notes that are provided are priceless.  These class notes that are far better than anything that I received in school (including grad school) and they include several key diagrams from the code so that flipping through your code in the exam will not be required.  Each class has had several "quizzes" that test your knowledge and allow for you to get feedback on working out problems during the class.   There are even more example problems at the back of each chapter  (for example: 58 different six minute problems available to work through for seismic load analysis alone).  

I do not know if you can still sign up for this class but if you can, I would HIGHLY recommend it. 

I am troubled by several people trying to cut out EET (or any other course vendor) by buying used notes and/or sharing registrations. As licensed engineers, we are obligated to not only obey the laws, but also conduct ourselves in an ethical manner. Not only is it important to respect copyright laws, but we should also consider the tremendous amount of time and effort that these people put into the course material and running these courses. Would you not be upset if a client decided to not pay you for your expertise and work? I think that paying $1,100 for 75+ hours of lectures (< $15/hour) is extremely reasonable. If the cost is too much, maybe consider asking your firm to pitch in. FWIIW: I am not associated with EET, but I have found their classes to be excellent. 

I am troubled by several people trying to cut out EET (or any other course vendor) by buying used notes and/or sharing registrations. As licensed engineers, we are obligated to not only obey the laws, but also conduct ourselves in an ethical manner. Not only is it important to respect copyright laws, but we should also consider the tremendous amount of time and effort that these people put into the course material and running these courses. Would you not be upset if a client decided to not pay you for your expertise and work? I think that paying $1,100 for 75+ hours of lectures (< $15/hour) is extremely reasonable. If the cost is too much, maybe consider asking your firm to pitch in. FWIIW: I am not associated with EET, but I have found their classes to be excellent. 
I suppose you never purchased a used:

- car

- book

- furniture

- video game

- movie

- phone

- computer

before?

no one mentioned anything that would violate copyright laws

- car

- book

- furniture

- video game

- movie

- phone

- computer

before?

I agree with Hugh Jass. By buying second hand notes or going halves on a registration you are not doing anything unethical. The person buying the notes and/or half a registration understands they are not getting the full experience of the course which translates to paying a fraction of the cost. It's no different from buying any other product second hand. If I had EET notes I would even give them away for free. They are my notes upon purchase and I have the right to do with them as I see fit. Now if you make multiple copies of notes and give away for free/sell then that's unethical.

- car

- book

- furniture

- video game

- movie

- phone

- computer

before?

I have to admit, I never thought of it that way. :) 

I have to mention, having taken EET, I'v never ran into a more cooperative bunch before. They are fantastic at answering your questions and have a lot of patience. The learning environment in their classes is great! 

I agree with Hugh Jass. By buying second hand notes or going halves on a registration you are not doing anything unethical. The person buying the notes and/or half a registration understands they are not getting the full experience of the course which translates to paying a fraction of the cost. It's no different from buying any other product second hand. If I had EET notes I would even give them away for free. They are my notes upon purchase and I have the right to do with them as I see fit. Now if you make multiple copies of notes and give away for free/sell then that's unethical.

yeah, they don't even respond to any inquiries. I asked how much cross over is between the vertical and lateral courses. No reply.

I asked if they would combine both courses for a lower price. No reply.

Honestly, since many people taking the SE don't even need it, I think EET would get MORE registrations since the people who wanna go halfsies would not have signed up full price at all.

Even if it's not a copyright or ethical question, it's definitely a question of morals. Either way the test is going to be tough. Then waiting for your results will test your faith.

Even if it's not a copyright or ethical question, it's definitely a question of morals. Either way the test is going to be tough. Then waiting for your results will test your faith.
ethics -  a set of moral principles

morals - of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior

Regarding the EET SE Review courses: The content of materials keenly paralleled the Vertical and Lateral Exams enabling me to accurately anticipate many of the questions. The test-taking strategies supported an efficient and effective means of approaching the exams. The EET SE courses are an extraordinary resource and an invaluable tool that was instrumental in my successful passing of the exams.

Regarding the EET SE Review courses: The content of materials keenly paralleled the Vertical and Lateral Exams enabling me to accurately anticipate many of the questions. The test-taking strategies supported an efficient and effective means of approaching the exams. The EET SE courses are an extraordinary resource and an invaluable tool that was instrumental in my successful passing of the exams.
Thanks for your review of them! I'm keenly considering taking EET's SE courses in a few years' time when I will take the SE exam. I took their classes for the PE civil structural exam, and really thought they were worth the time and money, so it's great to hear that the SE ones are so valuable as well.

I would like to share my experience with the class. After failing SE Lateral Bridges without a review class, I decided to sign up for EET Lateral. Class material and instructors are outstanding. Always willing help you out. I followed class as it was in schedule, it does get too much if you are working full time but its worth it. There were plenty of practice problems, mini exams, full exam on top of lectures. Practice and timing yourself is key for test but studying correct stuff is equally important. I would totally recommend this class for any one doing bridges and having hard time passing lateral.

I took the EET vertical loads review course for the Oct 2017 exam, and was extremely happy with all elements of the class. The class notes that are provided are a great study tool, and are a huge time savings during the exam. I referenced the EET class notes almost exclusively during the exam. Both Foued and Ahmed are excellent teachers with a strong academic and practical knowledge of the material. Because of the fantastic review provided by EET, the exam day was great, and I felt well prepared for the material. The best part was the passing notification! I would highly recommend this course.

Back