EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tinkering with this idea:

• 3 mafia (with more than 12 players)
  • 2 motion detector/medic hybrid (hybrid)

can either track or use doctor action
  • must cycle through both options before using action again (similar to JoAT)

[*]no min post count

[*]PMs allowed

It's similar to the way we used to play since it averages out to one doctor and one cop. But it makes the cop action weaker since it's only a motion detector. And as we've seen the last two games, the MD sends mixed messages. The weaker cop is balanced out by the use of PMs.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of it is just there's no real strategy talk to be had early in the game, cause we're still combing the desert, and no-one has found anything.
obligatory: 
200.gif

tenor.gif

I mean, I guess there might be a way to do it if everyone is super experienced and knows that right way to communicate convincingly that they are townies. But that probably doesn't happen often.

[*]no min post count

[*]PMs allowed

It's similar to the way we used to play since it averages out to one doctor and one cop. But it makes the cop action weaker since it's only a motion detector. And as we've seen the last two games, the MD sends mixed messages. The weaker cop is balanced out by the use of PMs.

Thoughts?
Woohoo! We as a group are evolving!

The most significant game-play affect of no PMs (and the one I think we should consider most when deciding to bring PMs back) is the town cabal. 

In past games, Cop has typically immediately PMed people who are cleared, and this creates a town group. Even if the cop dies, these people can find each-other and work together.
With PMs the cop does this connecting 100% risk free, and it gives the town a large advantage when it is accomplished.

If PMs are not used, the "cop" / JOAT has to either bide their time, and consider whether/when to reveal information, and assumes some degree of risk in revealing this, which I think is appropriate. 

Personally I like this, because it allows for the types of plays we saw when RB was JOAT. He came out with information, putting himself at risk, and giving some advantage to town. He was also PROTECTED by the other JOAT, as of yet unrevealed, because he was convincing.

I'd say this change makes this role a little more engaging than just "Gotta Catch 'Um All - Townie Edition"? But I haven't actually been a JOAT, so idk. Maybe those of you who have been both cop/doc and JOAT can comment? 

[*]no min post count

[*]PMs allowed

Thoughts?
I think that sounds like a really good setup (one of many possibilities).

I kinda like the no PMs tbh

The most significant game-play affect of no PMs (and the one I think we should consider most when deciding to bring PMs back) is the town cabal. 

In past games, Cop has typically immediately PMed people who are cleared, and this creates a town group. Even if the cop dies, these people can find each-other and work together.
With PMs the cop does this connecting 100% risk free, and it gives the town a large advantage when it is accomplished.

If PMs are not used, the "cop" / JOAT has to either bide their time, and consider whether/when to reveal information, and assumes some degree of risk in revealing this, which I think is appropriate. 

Personally I like this, because it allows for the types of plays we saw when RB was JOAT. He came out with information, putting himself at risk, and giving some advantage to town. He was also PROTECTED by the other JOAT, as of yet unrevealed, because he was convincing.

I'd say this change makes this role a little more engaging than just "Gotta Catch 'Um All - Townie Edition"? But I haven't actually been a JOAT, so idk. Maybe those of you who have been both cop/doc and JOAT can comment? 
Another bad thing about PMs, by the end of the game the main game thread is completely dead. (No pun intended). Everything is happening in the PMs. Which is fun for everyone in the PMs, but if you're no in either the maf or townie PM, it isn't much fun.

But like I said, I'm not advocating for all or nothing. I think each of the various versions have merit. IMO, it's fun to mix it up.

The post count is a pain, but I think gently guiding people towards game related conversation is.... more fun?... More of a game? That way it's not just a completely random process of elimination, choosing amongst people who talked about A. what they baked, B. What type of butterflies they caught in AC today, or C. How they built extra garlic into their gardens this weekend. 

I kinda like the no PMs tbh
Personally, I really enjoy the min post count/no PMs.  Yes, min post is a pain, but it at least confirms you're 'active' in the thread.  There were so many times that I attempted to play only to kinda be blocked because someone never posted in the thread, or they didn't start posting until later in the game (I know there are some past mafia players who would do this, not post in the thread, hope people forgot they were playing, and only start posting after the townie numbers have dropped).

As for the no PMs...I like this because, like the min post count, it forces people to actually post in the thread?  I mean, once the PMs start flying this thread gets really dead...unless you're the one person nobody trusts (even though you're totally a townie) and you get ostracized.  

I think the JoAT as a whole has been an interested play and I'd like to include it in my future mod games, and I think the JoAT will also allow other skills to be more easily incorporated (vs. creating a whole new role/character that confused people and messes with the townie vs. mafia balance, converting that into more of a townie vs. mafia vs. new weird character).

Last edited by a moderator:

I find it hard to be a JOAT. It is like floating in a bubble... Is the other one investigating the same people? When do i reveal myself?

[*]no min post count

[*]PMs allowed

Thoughts?
The other rule I like that we have sort of added is the "no checking PMs" thing. There's been games where I've been a townie and people suspected me of being maf because I was in PMs - specifically that big game right around December results. I like that there's no stress if you're a PM-using character to hurriedly get out of your inbox. 

The other rule I like that we have sort of added is the "no checking PMs" thing. There's been games where I've been a townie and people suspected me of being maf because I was in PMs - specifically that big game right around December results. I like that there's no stress if you're a PM-using character to hurriedly get out of your inbox. 
But how 'enforceable' is that?  I mean, yes, I want to trust everyone on EB, but it's soooooo easy to just-oh no!  Mistake was made!  Saw person in PMs!

(1/5)

But how 'enforceable' is that?  I mean, yes, I want to trust everyone on EB, but it's soooooo easy to just-oh no!  Mistake was made!  Saw person in PMs!

(1/5)
Eh, those that are going to do it are going to do it but I agree that it should be a written rule to discourage that sort of thing. It doesn't need to be enforceable. I just don't want people publicly posting that they saw so-n-so in PMs so they must be mafia.  That shouldn't be info released to sway the groups voting.

(1/5)
i think we're a pretty honest group of people, so i wouldn't say it's enforceable but very likely that people won't do it. i haven't checked since it was discouraged.

Eh, those that are going to do it are going to do it but I agree that it should be a written rule to discourage that sort of thing. It doesn't need to be enforceable. I just don't want people publicly posting that they saw so-n-so in PMs so they must be mafia.  That shouldn't be info released to sway the groups voting.
Right, that's the thing. There's definitely people here who chat via PMs with people not playing in the game, and I don't want that punished because we are playing a game, you know?

(1/5)

Back