EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh, I forgot about DST!  That might explain why my Sunday was all weird/my sleep from Sunday to Monday was total shit (according to my fitbit).  Actually hate that all my clocks auto-update so I don't have the 'aha!'-moment when I wake up.  Oh well.  I'll be grumpy the rest of the day.  Might even get coffee!

False.  Lakes do not count as 'large bodies of water'.  I want to fear sharks and other deep sea creatures in the water I swim in, not just large tourists who are in severe need of a tan.

Lake Michigan has riptides and sometimes even dead bodies.
when you cant see to the other side I think they count!
When the wind can kick up 20' waves I think they count!
I'm ambivalent. OT1H, the rest of the forum is correct that the great lakes are physically large bodies of water where you can't see land on the other side and present a variety of nautical hazards - and they have a recreational culture associated with them. OTOH, I still fundamentally agree with @JayKay PE that they don't count. But for me, they don't count because I make a distinction between fresh, brackish, and salt water bodies. I find the latter more desirable and sympathize with her desire to be closer to them.

If the waves don't have sharks/don't have the potential to turn into a sharknado, are they really that dangerous?
The great lakes get rogue waves and have a lot of unexplained losses at sea, so yes, they're dangerous.

Who can play this week?

I find the latter more desirable and sympathize with her desire to be closer to them.

The great lakes get rogue waves and have a lot of unexplained losses at sea, so yes, they're dangerous.

Who can play this week?
Please sympathize with me.  Tbh, the only reason I'm not going crazy is because the highway nearby kinda sounds like the white noise the waves create (not at all similar, but it's almost the same frequency?).  I desire to be close to real water sources that allow recreation and sitting on beaches!

Great lakes don't have white sharks.  They're not dangerous.  😛

As for playing...I don't know if I can play for a while?  I'm trying to keep up with a normal schedule and that now involves me going to bed by 10pm (aka: the killing hour).

Swimming in brackish sucks. Down in FL, on the more freshwater side you have alligators and all types of venomous snakes, and other the more saltwater side you have sharks and rays.

I'm ambivalent. OT1H, the rest of the forum is correct that the great lakes are physically large bodies of water where you can't see land on the other side and present a variety of nautical hazards - and they have a recreational culture associated with them. OTOH, I still fundamentally agree with @JayKay PE that they don't count. But for me, they don't count because I make a distinction between fresh, brackish, and salt water bodies. I find the latter more desirable and sympathize with her desire to be closer to them.

Who can play this week?
I can.

Back