EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meanwhile, in the South....

86773283_2593352554287008_1290317053139353600_n.jpg

Meanwhile, in the South....

86773283_2593352554287008_1290317053139353600_n.jpg
I've never really understood stocking up on bread & milk. Like if you lose power, unless you have good size snowbanks to use as a refrigerator, the milk is gonna be wasted. 

but it's always the bread & milk aisles that get decimated for storms. 

I've never really understood stocking up on bread & milk. Like if you lose power, unless you have good size snowbanks to use as a refrigerator, the milk is gonna be wasted. 

I know.  It just seems to be a tradition around here for whatever reason.

Mmmm, because everyone loves spoiled milk that's been sitting out for hours.  Mmmmm tastes like Whoppers!!

I know.  It just seems to be a tradition around here for whatever reason.
^this.

I think it's because a couple generations ago these were considered the bases for all meals, so as long as you had those items you were good to make most anything else for a few days.   It's probably not as true today where people do less cooking 'from scratch'.

Further, the snow would disrupt the supply chains for a little while so it was a good idea to have the staples around the house. Again, it's not relevant today because snow removal and supply chain logistics are so advanced that things only get noticeably disrupted during a large regional scale events (think massive hurricanes, and major flood events)

I don't know if "tradition" or "learned behavior" is the more appropriate terminology. Some people may do it because it's what they learned to do from their parents, despite its now less applicable utility in the modern era. By comparison, my family has a tradition of baking certain 'comfort food' items only during big snow storms as a pass time activity.

Back