EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay.  I'm trying to figure out some fitness goals for the new year?  Does anybody have examples of stuff they've done?  I want to do something short-term and something long-term.  I think for short-term I want to try and go to my new gym at least twice a week (Monday = cardio, Wednesday = new strength training class that I hope becomes a standard), but I want something else that is a little more diet-based?  But I don't know what...

Long-term goal = lose another 10lbs this year.
I had success losing 15lbs and maintaining the new weight.  It was mainly calorie tracking using myfitnesspal and using fitbit to track calories burnt.  As you get a hang of it you can get fancy and control your macronutrient content etc.

For burning calories i did workout 3 days a week initially and then increasing it to 5 days a week. For me the key was finding something I enjoyed doing and didnt feel like a chore. 

Game Analysis Update

There has been a derth of public useful information this round. We haven't had anything useful since the round that @ChebyshevII PE was voted out. Despite the large number of players, there aren't many high-turnout votes, and votes are spread around.

My analysis will have to focus on non-public information.

The cop is still alive. The cop discovered that @ChebyshevII PE was mafia on day 2. A proxy was employed to help whip up enough votes to vote him out.  @leggo PE voted for @ChebyshevII PE , @tj_PE was held in reserve to vote at the last minute in case it was needed. It wasn't. The proxy was not nightkilled so @leggo PEand @tj_PE were considered trusted but unverified townies. They were kept informed throughout the game in a compartmentalized PM thread.

Meanwhile the cop was verifying several people are townies. The following players are known through investigation to be safe  @chart94, @RBHeadge PE, @MadamPirate, @vhab49_PE, @Roarbark. Any of these players, and @tj_PE and @leggo PE, can verify what I am saying is correct. This is certainly more than the number of mafia in the game so don't bother with the "tHi5 i5 a MafIA pl@t" defense.

To be clear, a vote for @RBHeadge PE, @MadamPirate, @vhab49_PE, @Roarbark now shows that you are mafia.

This leaves four players who have unknown roles: @Spickett, @txjennah PE, @blybrook PE, @jean15paul_PE.

There are 2-3 mafia members remaining. So there are 1 or 2 townie members on that list of four players. They know who they are.

The cop has one remaining investigation. Who should the cop investigate tonight?
How did the cop investigate 5 players in only 3 (4?) days? I guess one of them is the cop.

I'd like to nominate myself to be investigated. Then yall will confirm I'm a regular townie and can eliminate the other 3 as mafia. Or maybe I'm lying and I'm mafia, you should still investigate me. (I'm not mafia, just trying to get investigated so I don't get dedded.)

Good luck!

My goals are to train with weights regularly, and lose 75 pounds. To do this i’m just generally trying to limit the amount of calories that i’m eating in general; and no more indiscriminate snacking, especially right before going to bed.

Good luck!

My goals are to train with weights regularly, and lose 75 pounds. To do this i’m just generally trying to limit the amount of calories that i’m eating in general; and no more indiscriminate snacking, especially right before going to bed.
ugh the office keeps snacks and i need to stop eating those snacks! 

Okay.  I'm trying to figure out some fitness goals for the new year?  Does anybody have examples of stuff they've done?  I want to do something short-term and something long-term.  I think for short-term I want to try and go to my new gym at least twice a week (Monday = cardio, Wednesday = new strength training class that I hope becomes a standard), but I want something else that is a little more diet-based?  But I don't know what...

I've had good success with a combination of crossfit workouts and keto diet. (Down 20+ lbs and about 3 inches at my waist.) But neither of those is for everyone. Heck, nothing is for everyone. You gotta figure out what works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had success losing 15lbs and maintaining the new weight.  It was mainly calorie tracking using myfitnesspal and using fitbit to track calories burnt.  As you get a hang of it you can get fancy and control your macronutrient content etc.

For burning calories i did workout 3 days a week initially and then increasing it to 5 days a week. For me the key was finding something I enjoyed doing and didnt feel like a chore. 
Yeah, I think I am going to wait until the new year to start any new diet stuff.  Got my bloodwork back and my BUN/creatinine ratio was ultra low...which means I either need to up my protein intake (which is highly likely) or I'm going into liver failure (probably not as likely).  So based on my convo with my doctor in a the next week or two, I'm hoping I can start being more strict about my calorie tracking and not go off the rails snacking.  I think I can still snack...just not in the portions I like.

Also!  I was boxing a lot, but I think I'm switching to a more 'normal' obstacle course/cardio gym, so I might get a fitbit to keep track of my steps and everything since I won't have to keep it under wraps/gloves.  Right now I think I am going to aim for 2 workouts during the week + 1 boxing class (hopefully my instructor keeps doing them).  I used to do myfitnesspal religiously a few years ago, but became frustrated when a lot of homemade food wasn't on the app.  I might take the time this time to actually 'calculate' meals I like to make normally to figure out calories per portion.

@ChebyshevII PE I've already lost like 24lbs this year!  I'm still considered 'obese' by the stupid BMI chart, but I'm hoping to drop a few more.  I want to try and get to 175 (that's my ultra goal) and I think 150 lb is my 'normal' weight on the BMI chart, but that will def be a longer road.

@ChebyshevII PE I've already lost like 24lbs this year!  I'm still considered 'obese' by the stupid BMI chart, but I'm hoping to drop a few more.  I want to try and get to 175 (that's my ultra goal) and I think 150 lb is my 'normal' weight on the BMI chart, but that will def be a longer road.
Hah. I don't trust those BMI charts. I'm currently 295 pounds at 6'2", and the BMI chart considers me morbidly obese, even though I don't at all look like it.

Congrats on your progress to date!

ugh the office keeps snacks and i need to stop eating those snacks! 
Same.  Plus, broken toe has meant no gym time, so the combo effect has been... bad.  Foot is feeling much better, so going to attempt at least strength training tomorrow, kickboxing is out for a few more weeks.

Good luck!

The night time snacking is the worst! it packs on weight faster than anything according to my sister the dietitian. 8 pm is a good cutoff she told me.  

Yeah, I think I am going to wait until the new year to start any new diet stuff.  Got my bloodwork back and my BUN/creatinine ratio was ultra low...which means I either need to up my protein intake (which is highly likely) or I'm going into liver failure (probably not as likely).  So based on my convo with my doctor in a the next week or two, I'm hoping I can start being more strict about my calorie tracking and not go off the rails snacking.  I think I can still snack...just not in the portions I like.

Also!  I was boxing a lot, but I think I'm switching to a more 'normal' obstacle course/cardio gym, so I might get a fitbit to keep track of my steps and everything since I won't have to keep it under wraps/gloves.  Right now I think I am going to aim for 2 workouts during the week + 1 boxing class (hopefully my instructor keeps doing them).  I used to do myfitnesspal religiously a few years ago, but became frustrated when a lot of homemade food wasn't on the app.  I might take the time this time to actually 'calculate' meals I like to make normally to figure out calories per portion.

I'm 5'9", 160#, been a golfer almost my whole life, but age is catching up and walking 18 holes no longer burns enough calories.  With all the PE studying golf was put on hold and I started to gain weight so I had to into running (well jogging really lol).

Game Analysis Update

There has been a derth of public useful information this round. We haven't had anything useful since the round that @ChebyshevII PE was voted out. Despite the large number of players, there aren't many high-turnout votes, and votes are spread around.

The cop is still alive. The cop discovered that @ChebyshevII PE was mafia on day 2. A proxy was employed to help whip up enough votes to vote him out.  @leggo PE voted for @ChebyshevII PE , @tj_PE was held in reserve to vote at the last minute in case it was needed. It wasn't. The proxy was not nightkilled so @leggo PEand @tj_PE were considered trusted but unverified townies. They were kept informed throughout the game in a compartmentalized PM thread.

Meanwhile the cop was verifying several people are townies. The following players are known through investigation to be safe  @chart94, @RBHeadge PE, @MadamPirate, @vhab49_PE, @Roarbark. Any of these players, and @tj_PE and @leggo PE, can verify what I am saying is correct. This is certainly more than the number of mafia in the game so don't bother with the "tHi5 i5 a MafIA pl@t" defense.

To be clear, a vote for @RBHeadge PE, @MadamPirate, @vhab49_PE, @Roarbark now shows that you are mafia.

This leaves four players who have unknown roles: @Spickett, @txjennah PE, @blybrook PE, @jean15paul_PE.

There are 2-3 mafia members remaining. So there are 1 or 2 townie members on that list of four players. They know who they are.

The cop has one remaining investigation. Who should the cop investigate tonight?
Assuming all this is true. Then the town has already won, right. If you have a voting block of 5+ townies the maf can't stop us

@tj_PE might say this post is verrrrrry suspish. Especially right before the mafia chooses who to kill
Sure, it can be suspish; but I was considering the results of the day 2 vote when I posted. In that context, I found it funny.

Game Analysis Update

This, combined with the earlier analysis does clear up several questions, provided the information is right.

Something to consider while determining who to vote for today.

Hah. I don't trust those BMI charts. I'm currently 295 pounds at 6'2", and the BMI chart considers me morbidly obese, even though I don't at all look like it.

Congrats on your progress to date!
Yeah!  I don't really trust them either, but this is the first time I've actually been loosing weight!  So I want to keep at it!  I have a very 'proportional' body, as someone said once, so I don't look as big as I should?  Plus, not to toot my own horn, my legs are kinda like slabs of unused muscle from horseback riding when I was younger and they're slowly become bigger/more muscle which is def a thing for me!!!

@jean15paul_PE, I like the idea of keto/crossfit, but crossfit...always starts of good, and then I feel like they start pushing for speed instead of form and I don't want to hurt myself.  As for keto itself...Idk.  I have to look more into it, but I was following a diet when I did a kickboxing bootcamp and I might do that.  It was a very simple portion control + having either a carb/protein/veggie or fat/protein/veggie as my plate.  Worked really well, so I might attempt that a little more.

I'm hoping I can start being more strict about my calorie tracking and not go off the rails snacking.  I think I can still snack...just not in the portions I like.
This^^ I used to snack and then realize I have eaten all the calories for today and still hungry. This helped me eat well.

so I might get a fitbit to keep track of my steps and everything since I won't have to keep it under wraps/gloves
I used to tram boxing and BJJ. you cant wear your tracker. So I measured my heart rate right after the session and approximately estimated how much I typically burn and then manually added it to myfitnesspal. 

I used to do myfitnesspal religiously a few years ago, but became frustrated when a lot of homemade food wasn't on the app.
same. But there are were quite a few of my go to meals. So I created my own recipe with ingredients and I could track that way. Also, If I felt lazy, I found an existing food and reduced the quantity a bit if I did cook mine healthier (as in less butter, cream etc). I figured something is better than nothing.

Good luck.

Hey great job!!! That is really tough! BMI is kinda crap. Im 6 foot 195 myself and its considered overweight even though I clearly am not. Muscle density skews it, though i have gotten to 180 before but i definitely didnt look myself, I looked more sickly than anything. The BMI says 170, but I dont think its even possible given my goals with increasing muscle and definition. 

For fitness, until I sprained my ankle last year, I was on the elliptical every other day for upto an hour at a time, plus walking or hiking a minimum of 5 miles a day. When I rode my bike, it was 5-10 miles. I had lost 50 lbs and was feeling really good. After the ankle sprain, it all came back with a vengeance. My lung capacity had increased, and is still pretty good, and I plan to get back on the machines next week during our paid break.

If I follow the BMI charts, I'm morbidly obese; but I think those charts are full of crap. Not everyone can be a twig!

BMI is kinda crap. Im 6 foot 195 myself and its considered overweight even though I clearly am not. Muscle density skews it, though i have gotten to 180 before but i definitely didnt look myself, I looked more sickly than anything. The BMI says 170, but I dont think its even possible given my goals with increasing muscle and definition. 
Yeah. According to the BMI chart I should be at 190, but I don't think that's very reasonable.

Back