EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm okay either way on this. It is kind of a neat role. Though it could have some pretty dire consequences if the selected successor is MAF. Perhaps during the successor selection (via PM), if a MAF is selected, the moderator could reveal that in the PM and allow a new selection? The Mayor would then be required to not reveal information they learn after their death.

For future rounds, perhaps the mayor will need to choose a successor each night in the event of their death? If they fail to choose and they are killed, then no successor is appointed?
This is how I assumed the role would initially work. Since I wasn't clear, I wanted to make it fair, but so far the feedback I'm getting is that the mayor died without naming a successor and therefore the role should be eliminated for the rest of the round. Appreciate the feedback so far.

Crap, I never thought about that. I think the "mayor" role was an interesting but bad idea. I don't know. What I'm learning is that you can't apply the same game-balance rules from Ultimate Werewolf to an online Mafia game with PMs on both sides. Special roles make the game interesting, but the round can swing so far from one moment to the next. This is definitely one of the most interesting opening day/nights we've had in a while!

For future rounds, perhaps the mayor will need to choose a successor each night in the event of their death? If they fail to choose and they are killed, then no successor is appointed?

The mayor role only works when no PMs are allowed. Otherwise it's a game-breaking mechanic.
Example:
  1. Mayor casts an inconsequential throw-away vote at the very end of day 1. Their double vote is announced to the whole thread.
  2. If the cop and doctor are paying attention then they PM the mayor immediately.
  3. The mayor announces introduces the cop and doctor.
  4. The doctor protects the mayor on night one; and the cop on alternating nights
  5. On nights when the mayor isn't protected, the mayor makes the cop the successor
  6. The cop continues to build out a large townie coalition as normal
  7. Town victory is nearly assured
Alternately, if the doctor can protect the same person every night, then they protect the cop every night and the mayor makes the cop the successor.

Either way, a town victory is nearly assured.

I'm okay either way on this. It is kind of a neat role. Though it could have some pretty dire consequences if the selected successor is MAF.
timeline-doctor-strange.gif

I'm gaming the various paths from our current starting point. And there doesn't appear to be much benefit to the town in having a new mayor this game. Any scenario where it will help the town is a scenario where the town would likely win anyway.
But as you pointed out above, there are a lot of ways that a new mayor will be to the detriment to the town... especially in our current situation.

Speaking of which....
There are 10 players remaining. Including 2+1 mafia, 1 doctor, and 1 troublemaker. 7T:3M is bad odds under normal circumstances. It doesn't help that we've lost the cop. We're going to have to rely on game theory, some luck, and social engineering to win this one.

Based on feedback I've received already (thanks everyone!), it's almost unanimous to keep the mayor role on the sidelines the rest of this round.

There will be no more mayor the rest of this round.

Speaking of which....
There are 10 players remaining. Including 2+1 mafia, 1 doctor, and 1 troublemaker. 7T:3M is bad odds under normal circumstances. It doesn't help that we've lost the cop. We're going to have to rely on game theory, some luck, and social engineering to win this one.
There are 11 players remaining. Sorry @jean15paul_PE , I forgot to include you in the "remaining players" list.

1631633050231.png

The problem is the rules aren't exactly clear as to when the mayor can choose their successor (my bad!) The last sentence of the role description (re-posted by @beccabun PE above) implies they can choose IF they are killed, but no time limit is set. I made the mistake of being vague in my description of the role to @chart94 in my PM. I told him he may name his successor "in the event" of his death, implying he had to name the next mayor before he died. @chart94 never named a successor, so I'm tempted to remove the role for the rest of this round. Thoughts?
I took it as even if i died i could name a successor. Kind of like a last will and testament sort of thing.

It's a shame we lost both the cop and mayor. I have a feeling that the doc didn't see the note about the mayor until it was too late OR the doc wasn't active in the thread on the first day. Hard to really determine.

We've gotta dig in and move forward with eliminating these mafia / alien scum. Although additional information was revealed in the voting from yesterday, most of it is irrelevant based on the night kills.

Congrats on the new house! Enjoy the move-in! Thanks for playing and hope you keep playing future rounds.
LOL WELP. Peace everyone. It was fun playing for a day :ROFLMAO:

Actually I'm not mad about being killed off because I just moved into my house and I have a deadline tomorrow, so ****'s crazy, fam!!!

Hope you all have fun; thanks for modding, @DuranDuran PE !
Thank you! It has been a good move so far. We are much happier in our new town/neighborhood.

Morning of Day 2

Everyone gathered in the command center control room for de-briefing. There was no commanding officer, so @djl PE spoke first. “We lost 2 officers but destroyed the Zerg Queen and her minions. The hatchery cannot reproduce Zerg at nearly the same rate as the Queen, so it buys us some more time. A few reinforcements have arrived (a few siege tanks and a couple of wraiths (small but swift fighter attack craft), but without a science vessel pilot we cannot detect hidden units. Right now it’s a game of re-enforcements. The longer we wait, the stronger our counter-attack force, but it also gives the Zerg more time to strengthen and produce units. I’m turning the discussion over to @squaretaper LIT AF PE to introduce the new adjutant he created.”

Square took the podium. Next to him stood a 6’ tall, perfectly proportioned human creature. “Let me introduce you to Julie”, said Square. “Most adjutant droids don’t even have a human face, but I used my artistry skills to create something more pleasing to the eye. From a scale of 1 to 10, I’d say she’s a 10, so I named her Ten Julie, or TJ.”

1631636866057.png

“You guys are all the same, one thing on your minds”, muttered @beccabun PE . “Hey, gotta have some oasis in this desert, keke”, said Square. “Besides, her internal computer is state-of-the art, so we’ll get the most updated info on the Zerg, so any info the capital gathers from other systems in the galaxy, we’ll know, and she’ll give us the best battlefield analysis. I also programmed her to interrogate us so we can hopefully weed out any remaining potential Zerg among us.”

@tj_PE strolled elegantly to @SaltySteve PE . “Are you Zerg?” “Ummm….I’ll be whatever you want babe.” @BlueBlueprint_PE slapped @SaltySteve PE . “This is serious!” “Ok, I’m not Zerg!” replied Salty. @tj_PE started to make her rounds. Her voice was robotic but confident and direct.

@BlueBlueprint_PE are you Zerg?
@RBHeadge PE are you Zerg?
@Dothracki PE are you Zerg?
@beccabun PE are you Zerg....

“This is bullshit!", said Becca. "Square, in what world does this constitute legitimate questioning? What idiot is going to outright tell us they’re Zerg? What planet are you from?”

“Is that a real or rhetorical question?” asked Square.

@tj_PE turned to @squaretaper LIT AF PE . "Your defenses are weak. Build more bunkers around the perimeter of the base, not just choke points. Stage siege tanks behind each bunker. Satellite images show a new den on the hatchery creep. This means they probably have hydralisks by now. In 2 days the hatchery will evolve into a lair. Your survival probability is now at 40%."

1631636792179.png

Last edited:
@tj_PE strolled elegantly to @SaltySteve PE . “Are you Zerg?” “Ummm….I’ll be whatever you want babe.” @BlueBlueprint_PE slapped @SaltySteve PE . “This is serious!” “Ok, I’m not Zerg!” replied Salty. @tj_PE started to make her rounds. Her voice was robotic but confident and direct.
LOLOLOLOL

@FlangeheadPEAZ you really really really need to stop casting the critical vote to lynch the cop.
I jumped on the site yesterday evening and was like may be I shouldn't vote at all .... so that I don't create a mess like last time... then I was like well now that I am here I should vote this looks too bad ... I should have just voted for someone random and didn't vote for txj to increase their count to 2. I messed up again. I am sorry @txjennah PE and I totally would understand if all town votes for me today I totally did Flanghead stuff lol

Square took the podium. Next to him stood a 6’ tall, perfectly proportioned human creature. “Let me introduce you to Julie”, said Square. “Most adjutant droids don’t even have a human face, but I used my artistry skills to create something more pleasing to the eye. From a scale of 1 to 10, I’d say she’s a 10, so I named her Ten Julie, or TJ.”
200.gif

Back