EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TEST:

@JayKay PE , calling my lower intestine! Did you get this notification?
I did! I did get this notification! Right now my notifications only show the two quotes you did and reactions to posts. None of the earlier ones like when you posted the story. Wack.

I did! I did get this notification! Right now my notifications only show the two quotes you did and reactions to posts. None of the earlier ones like when you posted the story. Wack.
Apparently I'm pretty low on the totem pole on these boards. I can't even post multiple PMs without waiting 2 mins between posts. Heck, I'm not even ON the pole. :ROFLMAO:

The mechanics of this rule iteration are weird. Like even as the investigator you have no way of telling anyone anything without getting ded. There's no way this is @RBHeadge PE approved?
You didn't play in the last round right?

@Dothracki PE was town cop and I was mafia investigator. We both publicly posted what we knew after a few days. I waited until I used all my investigations. At that point I'm no longer more valuable than anyone else. I think Doth posted a day or 2 before that. After I posted I kind of became the mafia lead, the mafia doc protected me, and I publicly told the maf what I thought we should do for the nightkill. The town doc was ded so I didnt' have to worry about a save. The town was able to coordinate among themselves in the main thread.

The round started as complete chaos, but by the midgame, after the investigator reveals, things got pretty normal and understandable.

"The Riddle of the Octopus":

Each player gets one chance to PM me (just say you want to solve the riddle) and tell me who you think has the octopus.
Oh nice a logic puzzle, this should be fun
UPDATE! The riddle of the octopus has been solved. Only the person who solved it knows their identity. They will survive one targeting, as mentioned earlier.
...and that didn't last long.

I'm mafia. Not doc or investigator, just plain ole mafia...

Except I have a bulletproof vest on!
Cool, so we're on different sides.
Hmmmmmm. If what @djl PE says is true, and they're mafia with a bullet proof, it means voting for them to lynch would require two days of townie lynch vote majority and it's highly likely that mafia won't vote for them during the night kill (since majority rules). It would make sense to get townie majority to 'waste' the votes on them later in the game.

There is also a possibility that they are lying (!!!!) and are actually a townie, which means they are not bullet proof, and are playing hard and loose with the rules. I'm down for that. Also means we shouldn't vote because we'd be killing one of our own.
I'm thinking the former.
I promise that this round, I am not mafia.
noted
I just don't understand what motivation @djl PE would have to come out and announce like that.
There needs to be some known candles to start figuring things out. The last round was extra-chaotic, but there was some playable game strategy towards the end.
@beccabun PE was lynched. She was the townie investigator.
of freaking course she was.
THE ONE TIME SHE ISN'T MAFIA, SHE'S THE DANG COP!
Isn't she always a special character?
The mechanics of this rule iteration are weird. Like even as the investigator you have no way of telling anyone anything without getting ded. There's no way this is @RBHeadge PE approved?
Nobody asked me. But no, I'm not a fan. The game balance is very broken. I didn't even think we'd be playing this version again.

We sort of worked out an equilibrium towards the end of the last game. There are some advantages to decaling yourself early, both as a vanilla and cop role. But those advantages go away as more people declare or get cleared.

The investigators have a limited number of investigations, so there is a time to put everything out in the open for the sake your one's team. But even saying that information out loud helps both sides; more or less equally.

The mafia doc is OP. Full stop. Destroys any game balance.

This ends up being a 'Team A' vs 'Team B' thing with the "mafia" team has a distinct advantage because of the mafia doc, ability to direct nightkills mid-game and later, and the other later game mechanics. The "town" team has to hope for less-engaged "mafia" players to be able to look at what some players *didn't* do at consequential moments or similar subtle signs. An semi-engaged "mafia team" should wipe the floor with the other team every time.

This ends up being a 'Team A' vs 'Team B' thing with the "mafia" team has a distinct advantage because of the mafia doc, ability to direct nightkills mid-game and later, and the other later game mechanics. The "town" team has to hope for less-engaged "mafia" players to be able to look at what some players *didn't* do at consequential moments or similar subtle signs. An semi-engaged "mafia team" should wipe the floor with the other team every time.
Makes, sense, except the townies won last round. I think within our group, with mostly semi-engaged players and anyone being inactive or active at any time during the round (with work/life/other hobbies, which it should be), I think the game is more balanced.

After this round, I would like others to weigh in on this format. Some people seem to like the "No PMs allowed", and some don't.

The riddle was fun, but a big mistake on my part from a game mechanics standpoint. I figured with 10 players, this would be a quick round so a good one to experiment with. I'm starting to think this won't be a quick round.

As for me, I'm just relieved to be able to socialize without the PE exam constantly looming in my head :D

Makes, sense, except the townies won last round. I think within our group, with mostly semi-engaged players and anyone being inactive or active at any time during the round (with work/life/other hobbies, which it should be), I think the game is more balanced.

After this round, I would like others to weigh in on this format. Some people seem to like the "No PMs allowed", and some don't.

The riddle was fun, but a big mistake on my part from a game mechanics standpoint. I figured with 10 players, this would be a quick round so a good one to experiment with. I'm starting to think this won't be a quick round.

As for me, I'm just relieved to be able to socialize without the PE exam constantly looming in my head :D
I mostly agree with @RBHeadge PE conclusions. In the endgame last time everyone was identified and the mafia had a 75% chances to win whereas the town had 25%... or maybe it was 66% to 33%. Math is hard. The town had to win 2 or 3 coin flips in a row. The mafia only had to win one. Unfortunately life got in the way and the mafia missed a couple of votes. But mafia should have one.

I really like the traditional games with "no PM's allowed (except for the mafia group PM)". That's different from this no mafia PM but the mafia gets a cop and doc game.
It's fun because sometimes chaos is fun. But I don't think it's sustainable long term.
But I also like the PM allowed games.
And the traditional games where we're tried different roles.

I'm a big fan of variety. I think the games should be mod choice.

Makes, sense, except the townies won last round.
I mostly agree with @RBHeadge PE conclusions. In the endgame last time everyone was identified and the mafia had a 75% chances to win whereas the town had 25%... or maybe it was 66% to 33%. Math is hard. The town had to win 2 or 3 coin flips in a row. The mafia only had to win one. Unfortunately life got in the way and the mafia missed a couple of votes. But mafia should have one.
Echoing @jean15paul_PE above. The town won every coin toss. And there were many coin tosses. The mafia missed a couple nightkill opportunities, and the mafia doc failed to rescue one of their own in an obvious place. That miss ultimately betrayed their alignment too. The town got lucky every time. If the mafia got lucky once then they would have won. That sort of run is unsustainable.

I think within our group, with mostly semi-engaged players and anyone being inactive or active at any time during the round (with work/life/other hobbies, which it should be), I think the game is more balanced.
There is something to be said for this asepct of EB games. I'd still only downgrade it to the mafia has less of an advantage.

I'd like to mod a game in a few weeks. It'll be the Hunger Games themed round. Ideally it will have 13 players. Mechanically it will behave like the usual 3 mafia vs N-3 town, 1 cop, 1 doc, 1 SK. PMs allowed. The titles of special characters will be different but their abilities are the same. However the twist is that each player represents a different district and has their own win criteria. It is possible for the mafia to win, but an individual townie to both die and win. A player can still survive the game but still lose. The inherent game balance will still be present, but the win criteria may be unique enough that it will encourage diverging tactics among the players.
If we have enough players some districts will have 2 reps.

Echoing @jean15paul_PE above. The town won every coin toss. And there were many coin tosses. The mafia missed a couple nightkill opportunities, and the mafia doc failed to rescue one of their own in an obvious place. That miss ultimately betrayed their alignment too. The town got lucky every time. If the mafia got lucky once then they would have won. That sort of run is unsustainable.
I completely forgot how lucky the town was lol. Of course, my memory isn't the greatest.

Back