EB Language Learning Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't do anything on my commute since it's a 10min drive. And I tried finding CDs from the library and it was awful. 

I have used the Pimsleur method and materials to learn both Spanish and Japanese when I was headed to Spain and Japan for work.  Since I drive nearly an hour each way to work, it has been useful while driving. I think I've stuck more with the Japanese than the Spanish.  I need to get back into it though, been too long since I picked it up.

Also, I am v envious of your nano commute. Ughhh...
I used to have a 1.5 hour commute one way, driving, so when I moved I tried to get the shortest commute as possible. 

If I had a parking pass for the on-site parking garage, I'd have a 12-minute total commute.

I have used the Pimsleur method and materials to learn both Spanish and Japanese when I was headed to Spain and Japan for work.  Since I drive nearly an hour each way to work, it has been useful while driving. I think I've stuck more with the Japanese than the Spanish.  I need to get back into it though, been too long since I picked it up.
I think both languages use almost identical sounds. Was it pretty easy to learn? I've seen the Pimleur material at the library, haven't tried their Japanese material, only German.

I think both languages use almost identical sounds. Was it pretty easy to learn? I've seen the Pimleur material at the library, haven't tried their Japanese material, only German.
Both are fairly easy to get the hang of, it's well broken up and the way they bring in older lessons to reinforce the current ones are helpful. The only issue I've had with Pimsleur is that sometimes the recording isn't the best and it's hard to hear the pronunciation. 

To sound authentic in French:

1. End your sentences with "quoi," it's just a filler word and doesn't mean anything but that's how they talk.
  2. Replace every instance of "très" (very) with "trop" (too - as in "too much"). E.g. "très bien" becomes "trop bien." Everyone under 50 talks like that.
  3. Also, the word "truc" means "trick" but is also widely used for "thing" or that "thingymajig" when you don't know how or don't want to fully describe something and move on with the conversation.
  4. "Oui" is not pronounced "wee" but it's more like a barely audible hiss of air passing the roof of your mouth. It's VERY Parisian and hip.
Et voilà, you are now equipped to sound like a native. Now get your baguette and chèvre and go!

To sound authentic in French:

1. End your sentences with "quoi," it's just a filler word and doesn't mean anything but that's how they talk.
  2. Replace every instance of "très" (very) with "trop" (too - as in "too much"). E.g. "très bien" becomes "trop bien." Everyone under 50 talks like that.
  3. Also, the word "truc" means "trick" but is also widely used for "thing" or that "thingymajig" when you don't know how or don't want to fully describe something and move on with the conversation.
  4. "Oui" is not pronounced "wee" but it's more like a barely audible hiss of air passing the roof of your mouth. It's VERY Parisian and hip.
Et voilà, you are now equipped to sound like a native. Now get your baguette and chèvre and go!
Thanks. Now all I need to do is learn French quoi. 

My attempts at laungauge learning took a nose dive with pupperoni. But I was using Duolingo anyway. 

Need to look at the community college again. Or the language school 

Oh hey look! The person who started this thread but never made any legitimate contribution! HI EVERYONE.

A little bit of background about me - native born Italian, moved to the states when I was a baby, dual citizen of both US/Italy.  Have basic knowledge/understanding of the language from my Italian-speaking parent but too stubborn/lazy as a kid to pick it up on my own.  Sometimes we'd go through phases where we'd try and speak Italian fluently, but my non-Italian speaking parent would say stuff like, "I don't know why we're doing this, we always give up within a day and just go back to speaking English."  As you can imagine, this was SUPER ENCOURAGING.

I took a trip with my family to Italy several years ago and it was eye-opening in many ways. Without going into too much personal detail on a public forum, it made me realize that I really, really need to learn this language on my own, so that I can visit with my husband one day (sans nuclear family) to see my relatives and go to the places WE really want to visit, relying on my just own language skills. 

While studying grammar and reading is a necessity, there's no substitution for immersion.  I picked up a lot just being in Italy for two weeks.  Here are some resources I've started checking out for immersion:

• Learn Italian With Lucrezia - this is a wonderful Youtube channel with vlogs, grammar discussions, etc.  She speaks very clearly and slowly, which is what I need at the moment (native Italian speakers talk REALLY fast, which is why I can understand my mom just fine but struggle to understand, say, a broadcaster on the RAI).
  • Italki - this is a new discovery that I'm really excited about! You can find a native speaker in the language of your choosing to help you learn.  There are many options to choose from, anyone from community speakers (people who don't have any formal language training but are native speakers) to professional teachers with a more comprehensive language curriculum.  I've signed up for my first Skype lesson tomorrow and am so excited! I'll let you all know how it goes :)

[SIZE=11pt]日本、十三年間すんでた。関西に。その時、毎日、バタバタ忙しゅうやってんまんねんやんか。今の仕事は、あの時と比べると、楽チンポン![/SIZE]

Alrighty, tried out Italki today! It was great! I really liked my instructor and am excited to try another lesson with her.  And she said that my pronunciation is great, so I'm not a total failure, yayyyy.

Latest posts

Back