EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On road bikes disc brakes aren't all that common.  They tend to be heavier and less aerodynamic, which are two things you don't want on a road bike. 

On road bikes disc brakes aren't all that common.  They tend to be heavier and less aerodynamic, which are two things you don't want on a road bike. 
So what say you on the sale I posted? Any thoughts/feedback on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say pass. 52 cm is a small frame. I'm 6'-0" (with long arms) and I ride a 61 cm frame (which should be too big for me). Also, the Shimano Sora is a low-middle group set. For just getting started, though, reviews seem to indicate that the Sora is a decent group (gears, derailleurs and brakes) is a good value. But, again, I would say the frame is too small for you. Go to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and get fitted on a frame, find out what size frame works for you, then start shopping.

Edit: This chart should to give you a good starting point:

wwb_img8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only upgrade on that bike is the fork. 

Second the visit the LBS. You should be able to get a pretty decent bike for $500 there and you don't have to worry about what it's been through. Also, they tend to throw in tune-ups for the life of the bike. 

While you're there, buy a helmet. 

As much as you guys know that I don't like "bike people" - ;) present company excluded.

I did find a LBS that I really like (they had bikes from $450.00 to $10K, not from $2K to $20K). Have to say they have been totally helpful to us..

91d4ee5d684e7ff2231ecceeeb3c90d9.jpg

^I don't remember seeing you at my last group ride, RG. Were you hiding in the bushes when we had the pre-ride meeting?

So I keep popping tubes on my bike? Not when actually mtn biking jut easy trail riding?  

Am I either  just too fat or putting the damn things in wrong? They have those weird skinny valve stems?

seems really odd? Any idears?

Is it the same wheel each time?  Check the inside of the rim and make sure there is nothing that could be puncturing the tube. 

yeah its the same one, will check, you would think new bikes they would make to prevent that sort of thing/

luckily my kid can drive, was out about 10 miles from the house..

Did some MacGyver work. Found several little Thorns poking through bike tire?

Shouldn't a normal tire be able to keep a "weed" from popping a tire?

Marked the tube where it was leaking and then inspected the tire and found the weed / splinter sticking into the tire?

128fe755d350ca0833776fdb2abb7158.jpg

dabff4036fac0771fba36c1fabce9e5b.jpg

Borrowing the BIL's road bike for awhile. I think it's made by Giant? Looking forward to trying something different.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

& yeah I was wrong, it does appear that the girls bikes, I mean the road bikes, all have the old school brakes - noticed that when I was getting taken to the cleaners on the thicker inner tubes yesterday..

Shouldn't a normal tire be able to keep a "weed" from popping a tire?
That's no normal weed- it's a goat's head and those flat more tires than you know. I run on Kevlar strips for the skinny tires, because if you're anywhere near a shoulder, you're running over these. 

Do you have a case for your phone?
Yes I have an arm strap for my old GS4. I kept the GS4 and it is now my running/walking/biking tracker which still syncs with my Samsung Fitness app. :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back