EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's the chainset off the Klein that is for sale locally.

As you can see, teeth are pretty much toast, and riveted on which means it would need a new crankset. He was asking $250 originally - worth even making an offer at this point?

Klein Chainset.jpg

Frame and wheels looked to be in good shape. I am going to inquire about shifting. From the looks of where one of the frame scratches are (paint), it looks as though it has lost a chain a time or two.

CSB - can you PM me an e-mail address? I can forward you the additional pics provided.

The closeup on the chainset looks pretty normal for a bike of it's age. I'm guessing the chain actually shifts well. The teeth can sometimes look bent in pictures, but it's maybe the angle. There is some chain slap kind of marks, but that could be from the chain dropping for other reasons. You've really got to be trying to wear out a chainset, especially on a nice bike. (Here's where someone interjects, but really good maintenance will keep those things going forever.)

I'm wondering how much service on Rock Shox that old goes for, just out of curiosity.

I think I stand by my original $200. I think the guy should take that and be happy and not haggle. If he haggles, I'd walk away. Bikes that are that old have the potential for needing a tuneup that can run you $100 pretty easily.

Debbie Downer Alert!

I ride on this road and, while I don't think I knew this guy personally, we all ride in the same circles and I know guys who knew this guy - Jason Young.

Happens all the time where some f*tard can't wait 30 seconds and enjoy the day for a moment instead of doing something stupid and killing a decent guy.

The group that went out for the memorial ride is one that I sometimes ride with.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/truck-driver-ticketed-in-fatal-milton-collision-wi/nk8WG/

The driver of a pickup truck that police say struck and killed a bicycle rider in Milton last week has been charged with reckless driving and homicide by vehicle.

John Blankenship, 46, of Jasper, was charged in the death of Jason Young, 45, of Canton, police said Monday afternoon.

Five bicycle riders, including Young, were southbound on Freemanville Road in a single-file line headed toward the intersection at Dartmouth Road about 7:30 p.m. April 29, according to a police incident report obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Blankenship was northbound in a pickup truck on Freemanville when he approached a slow-moving box truck, which was about to turn right onto Dartmouth Road, according to the report.

Blankenship, the report said, crossed over the double yellow line into the southbound lane in an attempt to pass the box truck. That’s when Blankenship hit the second bicycle rider in the line and Young, the fourth rider. The first rider in the line was not hit and the two other riders crashed their bicycles because of the collisions around them, according to the report.

Young died May 2 from injuries he suffered in the crash, police said. One other rider, a juvenile, was taken by his father to the hospital, but the other riders refused hospitalization, according to the report.

Blankenship, who was initially cited for passing in a no-passing zone, was being held Monday afternoon in the Fulton County Jail without bond, and is scheduled to appear in court on May 18.

About 60 bicycle riders rode to the crash site Sunday morning in a memorial tribute to Young, said Pete Wicker, who owns Outback Bikes in Atlanta and organized the tribute.

Wicker noted that Young was a father, a husband and a coach.

“It’s terrible when something like this happens, and you have to pull together,” he said.

He said he hopes for greater awareness of bicycle safety, including the law requiring other vehicles to give bikes at least three feet of space when passing.

The closeup on the chainset looks pretty normal for a bike of it's age. I'm guessing the chain actually shifts well. The teeth can sometimes look bent in pictures, but it's maybe the angle. There is some chain slap kind of marks, but that could be from the chain dropping for other reasons. You've really got to be trying to wear out a chainset, especially on a nice bike. (Here's where someone interjects, but really good maintenance will keep those things going forever.)

I'm wondering how much service on Rock Shox that old goes for, just out of curiosity.

I think I stand by my original $200. I think the guy should take that and be happy and not haggle. If he haggles, I'd walk away. Bikes that are that old have the potential for needing a tuneup that can run you $100 pretty easily.

Unless the thing ran like a top out of the box, I anticipated having to have it serviced by a local place. They charge $75 for a full diassemble, clean/lube, true the wheels.

Debbie Downer Alert!

I ride on this road and, while I don't think I knew this guy personally, we all ride in the same circles and I know guys who knew this guy - Jason Young.

Happens all the time where some f*tard can't wait 30 seconds and enjoy the day for a moment instead of doing something stupid and killing a decent guy.

The group that went out for the memorial ride is one that I sometimes ride with.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/truck-driver-ticketed-in-fatal-milton-collision-wi/nk8WG/

The driver of a pickup truck that police say struck and killed a bicycle rider in Milton last week has been charged with reckless driving and homicide by vehicle.

John Blankenship, 46, of Jasper, was charged in the death of Jason Young, 45, of Canton, police said Monday afternoon.

Five bicycle riders, including Young, were southbound on Freemanville Road in a single-file line headed toward the intersection at Dartmouth Road about 7:30 p.m. April 29, according to a police incident report obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Blankenship was northbound in a pickup truck on Freemanville when he approached a slow-moving box truck, which was about to turn right onto Dartmouth Road, according to the report.

Blankenship, the report said, crossed over the double yellow line into the southbound lane in an attempt to pass the box truck. That’s when Blankenship hit the second bicycle rider in the line and Young, the fourth rider. The first rider in the line was not hit and the two other riders crashed their bicycles because of the collisions around them, according to the report.

Young died May 2 from injuries he suffered in the crash, police said. One other rider, a juvenile, was taken by his father to the hospital, but the other riders refused hospitalization, according to the report.

Blankenship, who was initially cited for passing in a no-passing zone, was being held Monday afternoon in the Fulton County Jail without bond, and is scheduled to appear in court on May 18.

About 60 bicycle riders rode to the crash site Sunday morning in a memorial tribute to Young, said Pete Wicker, who owns Outback Bikes in Atlanta and organized the tribute.

Wicker noted that Young was a father, a husband and a coach.

“It’s terrible when something like this happens, and you have to pull together,” he said.

He said he hopes for greater awareness of bicycle safety, including the law requiring other vehicles to give bikes at least three feet of space when passing.
That sucks, Wolvie.

He's a handsome fellow though:

Attachment.jpg

Part of me wants to have some sympathy because we've all made stupid mistakes.

Another part of me wants to see this guy in an orange jumpsuit for a long, long time.

Follow up: I did a Google fly-by of the intersection described in the article. I know that road well and have suffered on it many a time!

Where the police report says the box truck was turning right, there is a deceleration lane to turn into the neighborhood and visibilty is pretty good.

...unless you're a f'idiot trying to pass in anger and don't look up to see if there's anything in the other lane coming at you. I'm now leaning much more strongly towards orange jumpsuit.

No response back yet from the Klein guy. Think he may have lost interest in answering questions.

Supe- REI has all their bikes 15-20% off right now?they have some nice looking diamond backs and others but the lowest price I saw was $499-

I had to buy one of those roof rack things for our trip to yellowstone next month (& I need to use it as a new ski rack next season) but I am thinking I am going to squirrel some money away for a set of mtn bikes for the wife and I.

What sucks is they don't count the discounted ones toward your dividend, but at least you know REI will stand by there stuff..

You won't ever catch me on the road with cars but I did about 25 miles through some of boulders trails yesterday and it was pretty fucking awesome...don't ever want to live in boulder county but they have a pretty incredible trail network, nice to be only a few short miles from their stuff though... Take that f'n hippies!

Supe- REI has all their bikes 15-20% off right now?they have some nice looking diamond backs and others but the lowest price I saw was $499-

I had to buy one of those roof rack things for our trip to yellowstone next month (& I need to use it as a new ski rack next season) but I am thinking I am going to squirrel some money away for a set of mtn bikes for the wife and I.

What sucks is they don't count the discounted ones toward your dividend, but at least you know REI will stand by there stuff..

You won't ever catch me on the road with cars but I did about 25 miles through some of boulders trails yesterday and it was pretty fucking awesome...don't ever want to live in boulder county but they have a pretty incredible trail network, nice to be only a few short miles from their stuff though... Take that f'n hippies!
Thanks, I'll take a look. They seemed super high priced when I took a look last time.

so if any of you recall my 25 year old bike in this thread somewhere..

I was feeling Froggy yesterday so I went and did this 7.5 mile Walker Ranch Loop (big fucking mistake)- I figured 7.5 miles? piece of cake, guess I should have taken note of the trail being marked "difficult"

http://www.bouldercounty.org/doc/parks/walkertrailgraph.pdf

Didn't walk too much but did stop to breathe, even living here at high altitude, hard work at 6500 FT (anything uphill) takes a toll on you..

I had to LOL I was the only person NOT on a $3000 mountain bike

Fun but I wont attempt again until I get a newer bike & this was the only time in my life I was glad to be wearing a MFN bike helmet

Back