EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had an old friend form out of town in this weekend, single guy, my age, always like to rib me on being out of shape. we did a 25 mile trail ride through the foothills Saturday. was nice to be able to see the altitude kicking him in the ass and the fat guy smoking him on the return up hill trail ;)

Nice!

Now Supe needs to join the club.

I got CSB's feedback, but I think she would greenlight a broken unicycle if it meant me joining the EB.com cycling club.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=50132686&ab=blocks_BikeEvent2015_A001_9731&redirectfrmcatfam=true&prevCatId=62793496&prevcp=4413986.4417717

That is the bike I'm looking at - Diamondback Axis XE at 50% off. I am looking for something to tool around the neighborhood on, and maybe ride down the local greenway, maybe a bike path if I'm feeling frisky. I am not anticipating hitting any sweet jumps with it, and I guess I'll leave the pegs off this one. Would this do the trick? Adequate for a fat kid with midget legs? I'd be looking at the 18", and I'm 5'7" tall, all of which is upper body (envision Mr. Potato Head riding a bike). I know its from a big box store, but it's hard to ignore a 50% off price tag.

I'm looking to outfit my mountain bike with a seat for junior so he can ride along with LadyFox and I. I don't think I want to do the trailer thing. Any experience/recommendations?

Nice!

I got CSB's feedback, but I think she would greenlight a broken unicycle if it meant me joining the EB.com cycling club.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=50132686&ab=blocks_BikeEvent2015_A001_9731&redirectfrmcatfam=true&prevCatId=62793496&prevcp=4413986.4417717

That is the bike I'm looking at - Diamondback Axis XE at 50% off. I am looking for something to tool around the neighborhood on, and maybe ride down the local greenway, maybe a bike path if I'm feeling frisky. I am not anticipating hitting any sweet jumps with it, and I guess I'll leave the pegs off this one. Would this do the trick? Adequate for a fat kid with midget legs? I'd be looking at the 18", and I'm 5'7" tall, all of which is upper body (envision Mr. Potato Head riding a bike). I know its from a big box store, but it's hard to ignore a 50% off price tag.

The problem in buying a bike from a big box store isn't the quality of the bike. I'm sure that bike is perfectly serviceable for your stated purpose. However, I wouldn't trust a bike assembled by the minimum wage high school kids typically employed by big box retailers. Your liable to have a wheel come flying off on your first ride. If you go that route, find a local bike shop and find out how much they charge to assemble a bike from an outside source. If you buy the one from Dick's, get it unassembled and pay the bike shop the assembly fee. Otherwise, find out how much the low end bikes at the bike shop cost. I'm sure they have one in the $400 to $500 price range.

Diamondback's a legit bike company, but I'd agree with wilheldp. I think the parts on this one are actual parts, not like the crap you'd buy from Wal-Mart. FWIW, you could buy this same bike from REI as well. The advantage to buying from a bike shop is they will make sure the bike is the right size. I bought my Cannondale for $374 last fall, so there are cheaper bikes available.

KF- We had this one http://www.topeak.com/products/child-carrier/tpk_babyseat In fact, it's still in my garage, just sitting. It's yours if you come pick it up.

I thought in the bike thread you would have to support some local bike shop to pay out the nose for bicycle products?

Nice!

The problem in buying a bike from a big box store isn't the quality of the bike. I'm sure that bike is perfectly serviceable for your stated purpose. However, I wouldn't trust a bike assembled by the minimum wage high school kids typically employed by big box retailers. Your liable to have a wheel come flying off on your first ride. If you go that route, find a local bike shop and find out how much they charge to assemble a bike from an outside source. If you buy the one from Dick's, get it unassembled and pay the bike shop the assembly fee. Otherwise, find out how much the low end bikes at the bike shop cost. I'm sure they have one in the $400 to $500 price range.

The Dicks here has a separate assembly area and the guy working there looked to be a bit older. I believe he's the guy that does the assembly and also does the extended warranty work that the store provides. Maybe I will interrogate him and see what he knows. I can always do a once-over on the bike myself, or take it to a local place. There is a large Trek store just down the road, may see what, if anything, they have used in there.

OK, so local Trek place has nothing in my price point new or used.

My one concern over the DB @ Dicks is that it only comes in an 18" frame and up. Poking around the interwebs, given my amputee-length legs and preference to sit upright, it sounds as though a 16-17" frame may be better suited. I will have to head over there some night this week to see if I feel comfortable on it.

I bought a bike over the weekend. I actually haven't had one since high school.

Mini-Kevo and I took out our bikes and rode to the playground. This was the first time she was on her bike and she did great! She only fell off once.
:appl:

had an old friend form out of town in this weekend, single guy, my age, always like to rib me on being out of shape. we did a 25 mile trail ride through the foothills Saturday. was nice to be able to see the altitude kicking him in the ass and the fat guy smoking him on the return up hill trail ;)
:appl: :appl:

Diamondback's a legit bike company, but I'd agree with wilheldp. I think the parts on this one are actual parts, not like the crap you'd buy from Wal-Mart. FWIW, you could buy this same bike from REI as well. The advantage to buying from a bike shop is they will make sure the bike is the right size. I bought my Cannondale for $374 last fall, so there are cheaper bikes available.
^^^this

shit load of used trek bikes here if you want me to get you one and mail it to you..

https://denver.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=trek%20bike&sort=rel

we bought 10 year old used trek bikes that while old, are still probably better than what they sell at the "big stores"
^^^ or this.

There was a whole bunch of other stuff I was going to say, but that about covers it. Go for the used local Trek or C'dale. Be patient, cause somewhere there's some dude jonesing for a newer, bigger, badder twenty-niner if he can just sell last year's TrekGiantDale.

I did check REI, no sales going on there right now, so their cheapest stuff is in the $500 mark. I know there are deals to be had on Craigslist, but my concern is both a) I don't like buying a bike without at least straddling the thing, and b) I just don't have the friggin' time to start chasing/testing online leads. I did peruse the local Craigslist, found one or two that were worth looking at (both Specialized), but neither were nearby, and I wasn't familiar with them enough to validate their age/condition.

I feel the same way about Craigslist... It sucks there isn't something in between these trek stores full of overpriced bikes and sports authority...

It took me months to get our bikes (5). And most of that was dealing with bums from Boulder.... Ugh what time were we supposed to meet again dude?

I have a Diamondback Sorrento rigid frame from 1992 or so. I might be able to swing you a deal if you pay shipping.*

*I could probably just send you the bike for free. It's really my dad's bike, but I've had it for about 17 years now. If he says go, it might be yours.

How tall is your dad?

MP: Giant has been on my watch list, as has Specialized, Trek, Raleigh, Cannondale, and Klein.

Giant tends to be a bit cheaper than Specialized and Trek. I have a couple Giant bikes and have not had any major issues. I test-rode a bunch of brands before I bought my road bike and the Giant seemed as nice as the others but cost 20% less.

Back