Did you get my email???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked in a cube type setting for a short while. I loved the cloth walls and all the little doodads they sell to stick in the cloth walls. In my regular office I'm so hesitant to hang things because I have to put a hole in the wall. Seems more permanent to me.

And those clothe walls are a sanity saver. After Katrina for our temporary office we had folding tables set up classroom style with big boss in the front. Everyone was irritable and hated each other after a week of no privacy at all. We worked like that for 6 months and it was hell. When we moved to another open room (our third "temporary" office) I spoke with a high high up in the company about walls and how awful it was without them, so they bought us some cube walls.

I actually worked in a cube farm for 2 years after college. I was right next to the bathroom. Joy. I don't miss it.

It is nice, isn't it? Got my own window, my own door, lots of space. really is quite nice.
Oh. I can open the window, too. I don't miss the ole 6X6 cubes at all.
No window here, but I do have a skylight. Thank God for the skylight. No natural light makes FLBuff an unhappy employee.

When I first started working for the gov, way back in 89, they had the bullpen cube concept. Five people in a 20 X 15 cube is not a happy shiny moment. especially when trying to communicate on the phone.

I worked in a cube type setting for a short while. I loved the cloth walls and all the little doodads they sell to stick in the cloth walls. In my regular office I'm so hesitant to hang things because I have to put a hole in the wall. Seems more permanent to me.
I couldn't survive without those doodads. I have 25 of them on my walls right now. Where I have metal shelves, I actually loop the handle from a binder clip through the holes that are perforated on the backside, so they act more or less as document clothespins.

my cube is about 8x10, a little smaller due to the placement of a thermostat and a pole

Come on people! It's been almost 2 hours and no one has made a snide comment about this?

Either, "Hey Snick - in the engineering world, we call these columns"

Or, "Snick has a stripper pole in her cubicle? TTIUWP"

It must be close to exam time. Normally a post like this would have steered this thread to the gutter in a hurry.....

Either, "Hey Snick - in the engineering world, we call these columns"
To me column has some thickness to it, greater than 5 inches in diameter.

Or, "Snick has a stripper pole in her cubicle? TTIUWP"
it wouldn't work very well in that regard...it is a 2-inch square pole intended to cover the wiring as it comes down from the ceiling.

Isn't that supposed to be "TTIWWP?"

poll_dancing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
we had a cube at a place I used to work (w/roadwreck) that had a square column taking up just under half of the cube, we used to put the co-ops in there, ahh good times....

When I first started working for the gov, way back in 89, they had the bullpen cube concept. Five people in a 20 X 15 cube is not a happy shiny moment. especially when trying to communicate on the phone.
Our original office was in a residential neighborhood, so my department had part of the second floor... other than the boss and two senior guys, the rest of us (6) were in an area that was roughly 20' x 30' with partial cubicle walls separating us... it sucked.

Now I have my 10x14 office (for the last three years). With all the documents I have collected, it seems so small. Many of us have taken over empty cubicles as our storage annexes.

I started out at a secretary's desk in my office in ATL. There were just 3 of us in about 1200 sq. ft. of office space. One of the "offices" was a closet, the other two were sub 100 square foot cubby holes. I was the only entry level so I got the secretary's desk. Eventually I got the closet office. Then we expanded and I got a window cube, then we moved offices and I got a cube with now window (totally sucked). Then I moved down here and got a corner office. I don't think I could ever go back to a cube.

You can't walk away from a K22 paper jam! You must be outa yo mind son.

I like communicating face to face. I hate writing like most engineers in this world. In college I figured out that I can write about 1 page double spaced an hour. I have serious writers block issues. If I have to discuss an important topic I will send an email then I will go talk to the person about the topic. I usually explain everything better in person. The email is used more like a paper trail. In this world its all about CYA.

My boss does an annoying variation of the of the on-foot e-mail follow up. He'll e-mail me with a task to do and I reply with an "OK, I'll get on it." Then I'll do the task and e-mail him the results. 2 hours later he'll walk back to my office and ask if I've completed the task. Even though he initiates the e-mail conversation himself he'll literally go hours without checking his e-mail for a reply he's expecting.

What's even more mind boggling is in these days of Microsoft Exchange and IMAP (we use Google Apps) he still insists on using POP3 to get his email and still refuses to have his email program check it automatically. He literally clicks the 'check email' button every time.

They just installed Office Communicator throughout our company. It's basically instant messaging for 8,000 people and it's integrated with Outlook. I actually prefer it to the 200 "where are we on this?" emails a day I receive from my boss.

They just installed Office Communicator throughout our company. It's basically instant messaging for 8,000 people and it's integrated with Outlook. I actually prefer it to the 200 "where are we on this?" emails a day I receive from my boss.
Make sure you set it to save conversations in case you need a paper trail to hold someone accountable.

Back