Cross-discipline PEs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you take the PE exam in the same branch of engineering as your degree was in? (eg., a BS in Civ

• Yes - same as degree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I crossed disciplines

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
bump - a personal interest of mine, and instructional for everyone else, as well. If you haven't voted in this poll, please do so. And of course, feel free to comment.

I have a B.S. Mechanical Degree, but took the P.E. in Civil.

I worked as an Industrial Eng. from '97 to '99, and been in Civil since '99.

I have a BS from the SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS!!!

No degree, TRYING to pass the PE in Civil. Does that count?

BS in Computer and Systems Engineering

MS in Information Technology Management

Work Experience in the Navy Civil Engineer Corps

PE "especially qualified in Civil Engineering"

But I always wanted to get my PE in Control Systems Engineering... maybe next year! The pass rate is 80% for first-time takers.

I have a BS in Geology. I worked for a structural firm (with a 2 year degree in nothing - started as a draftsman under a GREAT engineer). Went back to school early 90s after 10 years with structural firm. After I got my degree, I said what the heck, lets see if I can get into the PE exam. It worked.

I did both architecture and engineering. Finally decided on engineering...

BS - Civil/Structural

BA - Architecture

MS - Structural

Just took Structural PE....

Did not cross disciplines

BS Civil Engineering

MS Environmental Engineering

PE in Environmental Engineering

Crossed from undergrad:

BS - Chemical Engineering (1991)

MS - Civil & Environmental Engineering (2001)

FE - General (2003)

PE - Environmental Engineering (passed April 2007)

I'm considering taking the PE exam in Civil (Enviro depth) next year. I'd have to learn Structures and Transportation for the morning, though.

I crossed:

Degree: BS ChE (1988)

Exams:

EIT - General (I guess) (1988)

PE - Environmental Engineering (passed October 2006)

BS CE (Enviro Emphasis)

FE: Civil/Enviro

PE: Civil/ Water Resources

Hard decision between taking Water Resources or Enviro in PM

BS: Engineering Science, focus on materials and structural analysis but with my thesis in MEMS & semiconductors.

FE was easy, heh.

PE in EE: Power. That was harder. In my state (VA), there's no restriction to discipline, so you can pass any module and practice in any engineering field, which works out well for me.

I'm considering taking the PE exam in Civil (Enviro depth) next year. I'd have to learn Structures and Transportation for the morning, though.
I may do something similar. I work more in civil with an envl slant than hardcore envl. I took the Envl PE though because that's what my Master's is in and I was fresh outta grad school when I started studying. I figured get the PE, and take the other later if necessary.

BS = Chemical Engineering

MS = Environmental (starting this fall)

EIT = Chemical

PE = Environmental

I work mostly mechanical / environmental / water treatment since getting out of school in 2001. So, the PE in environmental seemed like the best fit. Guess I should find out soon. (Still waiting in Maryland.)

Not only did I cross, I'm crossing back. And, I didn't finish my degree. I went to NCSU for 3 years in Civil, worked in Civil for several years doing design under a PE. Then, I crossed to Mechanical, new product design. I passed EIT and took PE in Mechanical 3 times. Waited about 12 more years and decided to take PE again. I knew I needed a review course and the only available for me was in Civil. Since I had been in Civil and had a desire to return to Civil, I convinced the board to let me sit for Civil exam. I passed. Would I have passed Mechanical 4th time? Don't know, but I'm looking forward to going back into Civil. In many ways, I think engineering is engineering. I have a good deal of valuable project management experience that can work in any discipline.

Back