AZ PE Exam Breadth/Depth Requirement Based on Branch of Engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justover

Reaction score
I recently submitted my application to the board to sit for the PE exam. I wanted to start studying and was originally intending to take the construction depth exam, but am a bit confused as to whether I will be forced to take the structural depth instead, based on Arizona's 'branch of engineering'.

Does the Arizona board require you to take the structural specific depth exam if your branch of engineering is structural? Or when they reference "selection of exam" in R4-30 are they more broadly referring to discipline (ie, Civil exam breadth but depth doesn't matter)? I tried talking with someone directly at the board and she couldn't seem to answer my questions, so I'm not really sure who else to reach out to at this point.

For a bit of background, my work experience is as follows:
- 3 years working for steel fabricator / erector in preconstruction and project management
- 2 years working for design-build firm as a structural designer
- 6 months working for GC in pre-construction, primarily working on hospitality and medical structures

There isn't a 'branch' of engineering for construction, but rather each branch of engineering is involved in construction in different ways. The bulk of my work experience falls under the category of 'structural' as defined in R4-30, as a mix of design, consulting, planning, and review.

Appreciate any information you guys can provide.

Back