Comity/Reciprocity Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or a poster comparing lesbian Hitler's...

...wait, what? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Ut oh .. I sense things are getting ready to go down in 3 .... 2 .... 1

Whoops! Too late! :laugh:

JR

It's funny in a way how this started by the original poster simply asking if anyone had experienced this before. I never read in his/her post if they were asking if it was right or not. The engineer mainly wanted to know if the reciprocity would work in other states based on how they recieved the original license in GA where it seems this is the only state that recognizes veterans status in licensing. Quite a grapevine here.:unitedstates:
Hey his question got answered (you answered it didn't you?), so what's the harm in side-tracking and discussing another aspect.

rw:

lick of sense
very punny.

You're centering on the passing score... what about the parameters of the examination? Do you think it's unfair that NCEES Special Testing Accomodations? Isn't this reverse discrimination? Or best case, doesn't it change the bar of "minimally competent"?
Just trying to keep this discussion off the straight and narrow...
There's some interesting conditions they will consider special accomodations for. I wonder, if you have ADHD or a cognitive disability, would they consider allowing you to skip the problems that require too much concentration? Gee, not too sure I want to drive over a bridge designed by a guy who can't organize his thoughts. Hhmmm...

How about cats that look like Hilter?http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/cgi-bin/seigmiaow.pl?

That's kind of close to lesbian Hitler's right? Kitties, Lesbians, you can see how my google search got a little confused right? :p
I would suggest that one shouldn't judge those cats by their appearance. Based on appearances, one might assume that these cats might be members of the NAZI party. However, most cats I've met have politics which tends toward anarchy.

I understand your perspective but I wonder if it's not a little inconsistent. If I accept the concern about increased risk of failure (which I could easily do) what about the licensed engineer that took five times to pass (with a 60, 55, 64, 59, and 70)? Shouldn't that concern you as well? Still, I think it's a red herring - when something stamped fails, it doesn't matter how they got their license... they're liable all the same.

It is *NOT* a curve. It's a state board that has applied a standardized test in a different way. It's no different than how some universities use the SATs differently for some groups under the claim of "diversity".
I don't disagree with states that require further study if you don't pass after a certain number of tries. I think that it would be taken more seriously (ie I feel a lot of the time failure is due to lack of preparation rather than lack of knowledge). If you should differentiate between these groups by raising the stakes. Some states already require that anyway.

You're right, kind of. It's more a matter of selectivity. If require a lesser score, how can you convince anyone anywhere else that you have equal ability? It's why schools are ranked, and your SAT score matters. If Georgia doesn't see the need to have the same "minimum competency" as the rest of the country, that's their choice. But I would like to know how they justify having those engineers working on federal projects- I don't see how they could. And I certainly don't see why anyone else should have to take a less than minimally competent engineer from Georgia and transfer their license.

I seriously do not have anything against the military, and I know it sounds like I do. I just don't see the justification. As I said before, there are other ways of honoring those who have served other than giving them free points on what is supposed to be a standardized test. It's not standard if everyone doesn't start and end the same.

I just realized that the original poster is considering NY. Doesn't NY have supplemental tests, like CA? For some reason I am thinking they do?
I just passed PE in first try from VA. I need to get license in NY through endorsement. Note NY doesnot have comity with any state. That means you need passing score in FE and PE + education + expereicne as req by NY. I have a problem in NY. Any advice will be appreciated.

I was waived from taking FE and took PE directly, becasue I have a Ph.D in Engineering. FE waiver is valid in about 15 states, but NY is NOT one of them. Do anyone know how to deal with this problem without taking FE exam. I do not have the time for FE exam. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just passed PE in first try from VA. I need to get license in NY through endorsement. Note NY doesnot have comity with any state. That means you need passing score in FE and PE + education + expereicne as req by NY. I have a problem in NY. Any advice will be appreciated.
I was waived from taking FE and took PE directly, becasue I have a Ph.D in Engineering. FE waiver is valid in about 15 states, but NY is NOT one of them. Do anyone know how to deal with this problem without taking FE exam. I do not have the time for FE exam. Thank you.
If I were you, I would take the worst case scenerio and start studying for FE exam. As you have a PhD, FE problems wont be any hard for you. Just need to refresh your basic engineering sciences. I took FE 10 years after I graduated and passed the 1st try. Remember, the actual passing score for FE is much lower than PE.

I THINK you can transfer your PE license to NY as long as you meet the requirement. The reason to take FE is because you need to take PE later but you already waived the FE and passed the PE. No need to worry too much. (Are you getting this messages from NY or VA board before?) If they want you to take the FE that I think it is violate the sequense they wrote on NCEEs website. However, you need to request VA to send your record to NY and pay the application fee again in NY.

Anyway, call both (VA and NY)boards before you make any decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I THINK you can transfer your PE license to NY as long as you meet the requirement. The reason to take FE is because you need to take PE later but you already waived the FE and passed the PE. No need to worry too much. (Are you getting this messages from NY or VA board before?) If they want you to take the FE that I think it is violate the sequense they wrote on NCEEs website. However, you need to request VA to send your record to NY and pay the application fee again in NY.
Anyway, call both (VA and NY)boards before you make any decision.
Thanks. I emailed NY and they gave me a general answer. They said ..NY requirement has to be met. Since NY doesnot grant FE waiver, VA FE waiver is not valid in NY, UNLESS you were licensed in VA for 15 years. NECEES suggested that there should be FE waiver for Ph.D.. However, final word comes from the state board. Note that these regulations are changing every year and I will wait and see for the time.

^^ Why not just take and pass the FE? Having time or not, if getting a NY license is that important to you then I would think that just taking the FE wouln't be a problem.

Just my :2cents:

Ok, let's say this way. If you decide to take the FE in NY. "How do you fill out the application?" They will ask do you hold a license or not.

(I know it is out of topic)

On the NY street there are several no parking or no standing sign on the same street but you do need to obey the most strick sign at the time. For example, if there are three signs (Top sign said NO STANDING 11AM - 1PM ALWAYS)(Middle sign said NO PARKING 8AM -11AM EXCEPT SUN)(Bottom sign said METER PARKING 2 HRS 10AM - 10PM EXCEPT SUN)----If you park your car there on SAT FROM 9AM - 11:30AM which parking ticket or tickets should you get it or those? 1. Parking on the NO standing time. 2. Parking on the NO parking time 3. Parking over 2 hrs there.

Thanks. I emailed NY and they gave me a general answer. They said ..NY requirement has to be met. Since NY doesnot grant FE waiver, VA FE waiver is not valid in NY, UNLESS you were licensed in VA for 15 years. NECEES suggested that there should be FE waiver for Ph.D.. However, final word comes from the state board. Note that these regulations are changing every year and I will wait and see for the time.
Good luck with NY. Born and raised here, went to a local college in 1990 when it was an accepted college, came upon hard times with my wifes cancer, (fell behind on college loan payments) so I had to wait to take my FE. When I finally was able to take the FE, almost 18 years had passed by since I started working in engineering and had my associates in Engineering Science. I have since taken the PE and am waiting on my results. My big problem is that I had to take the test in VT, and will be trying to get that licence transfered to NY. On top of that, NY is pushing to make it mandatory to have a bachelors degree in engineering to get a PE in NY. Hope I make it under the wire.

Back