Can someone freak out with me a little here?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, everybody! I am much calmer today and here's what I've figured out:

1. It's just a test and it can't kill me.

2. I'm going to go through the entire ASCE DVD exam prep. I've only done parts before and those parts helped a lot. In fact, it took my WR 25% from the first go to an 88% the second go. Same for geotech.

3. I will pass it in October.

4. If I fail, I'm going to apply in a neighboring state. I don't plan on having to do this, but it's nice to not have the pressure of taking a semester of classes.

5. When I pass, I expect two weeks to pass before my calendar shows up!

Thanks again. It's nice to be able to freak out with a bunch of people who have been where I am. All the people at work are still flabbergasted at the new format and the cavity search at the door. If I here, "It's all multiple choice? You can't take any calculator you want?" again, I'm embedding one of my NCEES pencils in someone's skull.

2. I'm going to go through the entire ASCE DVD exam prep. I've only done parts before and those parts helped a lot. In fact, it took my WR 25% from the first go to an 88% the second go. Same for geotech.

4. If I fail, I'm going to apply in a neighboring state. I don't plan on having to do this, but it's nice to not have the pressure of taking a semester of classes.

Thanks again. It's nice to be able to freak out with a bunch of people who have been where I am. All the people at work are still flabbergasted at the new format and the cavity search at the door. If I here, "It's all multiple choice? You can't take any calculator you want?" again, I'm embedding one of my NCEES pencils in someone's skull.
I also found it helped out to have a workout program ahead of the TEST too. I wasn't used to thinking that hard for 8 hours straight, so working out for at least a month ahead of the test help with the endurance, (IQ supposedly), and diet going in.

* Yes, my wife is okay with me going to a massage palor on rare occasions. It dates back to my semi-pro baseball days when I would really get beat up, or have severe muscle tears. Nothing like puking after a massage from all of the toxins hitting the body that are squished out of the muscle cells. Osmosis is not an efficient method of ridding cells of toxins.

When I was preparing for my test I took all kind of advice from our senior engineers. Many of them had passed the test 10 to 15 years ago. The test has changed dramatically since then! Across the board, they all said that they studies the CERM and that was it. All they took to the test was the CERM. Try and do that now and you'll embarrass yourself!

edit: I'm sure we can come up with 12 fake pictures for the calender

Last edited by a moderator:
All they took to the test was the CERM. Try and do that now and you'll embarrass yourself!
edit: I'm sure we can come up with 12 fake pictures for the calender
I beg to differ. The CERM was only 1 of 3 references I used in passing the exam. I had to use the NCEES - EIT equation booklet to verify an equation and the MUTCD to verify a lane closure requirement. Otherwise it was all from the CERM.

I beg to differ. The CERM was only 1 of 3 references I used in passing the exam. I had to use the NCEES - EIT equation booklet to verify an equation and the MUTCD to verify a lane closure requirement. Otherwise it was all from the CERM.
and I beg to differ to this.. I had to look up HCM, AASHTO multiple times.. There is no way you can attempt Transportation depth without additional references.. I am not allowed to discuss the problems in detail, else I would tell on what problems I had to look up HCM as CERM can not answer that..

Some of us here are a little "sensitive" on this issue of CERM is all you need.....

and I beg to differ to this.. I had to look up HCM, AASHTO multiple times.. There is no way you can attempt Transportation depth without additional references.. I am not allowed to discuss the problems in detail, else I would tell on what problems I had to look up HCM as CERM can not answer that..
Some of us here are a little "sensitive" on this issue of CERM is all you need.....
It goes back to the standard engineering answer: "It depends." I think it boils down to the depth you are taking and your comfort level within that depth. I apologize for not going into more detail on my previous post and I hope people still utilize all of their available resources for the exam.

IMO the CERM was the only thing needed in the morning (for the Civil exam). However in the afternoon, I did not have much need for the references they listed for the construction depth. By no means am I saying to not bring the other references because that would be stupid. The MUTCD and OSHA regs were necessary if you're not very comfortable with either, but I had run traffic control for over 2 years on a major urban interstate (over 19 miles of full reconstruct) and had to know the MUTCD and OSHA inside and out for my crews to be successful. The scheduling, estimating, and quantity take off questions were things that most field engineers do for the first year out of college so there wasn't much need to study that info (for me anyways), and the temporary construction structures are all in the order of the morning session as far as difficulty and coverage in the CERM. So for me (which may me the exeption instead of the rule), the CERM was the only really critical reference.

I can understand needing the HCM and the green book for transportation because that was the depth I was originally going to take before the construction was offered. As I read through the CERM, the standard line was "see HCM chapter X for..." or "Chapter X in the green book is needed for...". I agree with you 100% on the HCM and Green Book as well as the MUTCD for the transportation depth. I am unsure of the references needed for the other disciplines.

*disclaimer: This is all my opinion. Only you know what you need to be comfortable for your particular discipline and depth exam. Please use the NCEES outlines as a start to studying for the exam.

I also said that all they studied was the CERM. I'm sorry, but if you only studied the CERM there is no way you passed the test. I only had 2 other references besides the CERM, but they were vital to me passing. Had I only studied the CERM and only taken the CERM, I would be studying again for the October exam.

BUT, to concrete what I'm saying. If you are taking the CERM to the Geotechnical Depth and that is all you are going to take or study. YOU WILL BE TAKING THE EXAM AGAIN! Period.

I also said that all they studied was the CERM. I'm sorry, but if you only studied the CERM there is no way you passed the test. I only had 2 other references besides the CERM, but they were vital to me passing. Had I only studied the CERM and only taken the CERM, I would be studying again for the October exam.
BUT, to concrete what I'm saying. If you are taking the CERM to the Geotechnical Depth and that is all you are going to take or study. YOU WILL BE TAKING THE EXAM AGAIN! Period.

Definately from a studying perspective the CERM is only the tip of the iceburg. I had used at least a dozen different books, guides, websites to prepare for the exam. The perparation went way beyond learning the material, references, and engineering related material. It also included tips to prepare my body for the physical side of the exam (the mental "toughness" of long term in-depth thought, the ability to sit on a hard chair in one place, and the ability to handwrite 8 hours worth of calcs).

However once the proctor said, "you may begin," the CERM accounted for 95% of my reference look-up material.

Definately from a studying perspective the CERM is only the tip of the iceburg. I had used at least a dozen different books, guides, websites to prepare for the exam. The perparation went way beyond learning the material, references, and engineering related material. It also included tips to prepare my body for the physical side of the exam (the mental "toughness" of long term in-depth thought, the ability to sit on a hard chair in one place, and the ability to handwrite 8 hours worth of calcs).
However once the proctor said, "you may begin," the CERM accounted for 95% of my reference look-up material.
You took Construction? For Geotech Depth, I would say that I used the CERM for maybe 10 to 12 out of the 40 problems. In the morning, the CERM is ALL you need

Not to rain on your parade but be careful with this one- if you want to transfer it back to your state, they will probably make you take the 12 hours anyway. If you just want to pass somewhere, by all means. Not sure where you are, but avoid Texas- that app is horrific!

I used the CERM for ~90% of the AM. Maybe 20% of the PM. The answers might have been in there, but I knew where they were in other books so I didn't have to dig. Knowing my score and the questions, I probably could have passed with just the CERM, but I sure the hell wouldn't try it!

A lot of NJ test takers will use DE since they have been a little easier going on experience than NJ in past... I can't speak from experience on that one, but a couple of people here couldn't qualify to take it in NJ, but had no trouble getting approval from DE (10+ years ago).

Not to rain on your parade but be careful with this one- if you want to transfer it back to your state, they will probably make you take the 12 hours anyway. If you just want to pass somewhere, by all means. Not sure where you are, but avoid Texas- that app is horrific!
I used the CERM for ~90% of the AM. Maybe 20% of the PM. The answers might have been in there, but I knew where they were in other books so I didn't have to dig. Knowing my score and the questions, I probably could have passed with just the CERM, but I sure the hell wouldn't try it!
I know a lot of engineers in TX that come to Oklahoma to take the test for various reasons, and application is one of them. They also maintain their license in Oklahoma up until the point they need on in Texas since it is cheaper to maintain a license in OK.

I have personally thought about getting a license to maintain in Hawaii because it is cheaper than OK, and it would just be cool. Also, I could figure out a way to write vacations to Hawaii off on Taxes if I am going to talk to engineers there (J/K).

Although you're yelling it, it doesn't make it any more true. Considering you would likely pass with 35 correct in the morning session and just 23 correct in the afternoon session, will you reconsider? I've very certain you can get most of the morning breadth questions with just the CERM, so if you don't make any mistakes, 35 is reasonable. And do you think there's *any* depth (save maybe construction which is still new) that can't get a measly 23 from the CERM alone? Certainly MANY can do Geotechnical and get 23/40 with just the CERM.

You took Construction? For Geotech Depth, I would say that I used the CERM for maybe 10 to 12 out of the 40 problems. In the morning, the CERM is ALL you need

Yes I took and passed the construction depth. I agree with IlPadrinos post on the use of the CERM and it's ability to HELP pass. Please read my posts above (#27 & 29). It really does depend on your knowledge and comfort level of your particular depth. I knew alot of the construction outline from experience and didn't need to heavily rely on references. I do know that the structural and transportation depths do require more reference look-up's simply because of the shear number of graphs and tables used. For the most part the construction depth did not have many table or graph look-up type questions, but was more of the "you either know it or you don't" type.

Last edited:
Well, maybe. But i still say that you can't pass the PE without more references that the CERM. That's just my opinion. Do however you feel necessary. I personally feel that studying the two different DAS's texts is what helped me pass the PE.

Bottom line is do whatever you feel is best for YOU!

I apoligize for yelling! Just getting used to the entire forum posting thing.

How are you coming along on application and studying? :)

Solid point - well stated, as always.

I can't imagine that! :rolleyes:

^ and don't even TRY to take Structural in the afternoon without a whole pile of references!
Figuratively and literally??

Well, maybe. But i still say that you can't pass the PE without more references that the CERM. That's just my opinion. Do however you feel necessary. I personally feel that studying the two different DAS's texts is what helped me pass the PE.
Bottom line is do whatever you feel is best for YOU!
You bottom line is on point - each person must do what is best for them based on their background, experience, and level of comfort.

JR

Back