California Dreamin

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feel bad for you guys waiting on results. Hope you get em tomorrow, I'm just waiting on my lic # so I can call myself a PE and order a stamp...
I've already started calling myself a PE and added it to my e-mail signature since my boss and a few other PEs told me to, but I'm still anxious to get the license # so that I can get reimbursed for the exam fee.
You guys should get an F on the take home exam

Feel bad for you guys waiting on results. Hope you get em tomorrow, I'm just waiting on my lic # so I can call myself a PE and order a stamp...
Trev,

You already passed the Surv and Seis? Good for you.
Nope, I'm mech, so just two exams for me. Can't imagine having more, you guys are committed, or perhaps should be committed :)

Good luck

Trev,

You already passed the Surv and Seis? Good for you.
Nope, I'm mech, so just two exams for me. Can't imagine having more, you guys are committed, or perhaps should be committed :)

Good luck

I see, thanks. Yeah, having the extra tests really blows. For me it cost me a year delay on my PE. Having a wife, young baby, house, rental property, full time job (thankfully!), etc., I just couldn't study for all three at once so I did one at a time. That's an extra year and an extra $275 x 2! The Seismic was the worst (that's why I put it off for last - lol). Survey = easy, 8 hour = medium, Seismic = hard (IMHO).

I've already started calling myself a PE and added it to my e-mail signature since my boss and a few other PEs told me to, but I'm still anxious to get the license # so that I can get reimbursed for the exam fee.
Yeah, I don't think you can call yourself a P.E. till you receive your license number. The California Board has to certify that you met all requirements, i.e. pass the exam, pass the take home, ...etc. This is probably why the database hasn't been updated yet.

Yeah, I don't think you can call yourself a P.E. till you receive your license number. The California Board has to certify that you met all requirements, i.e. pass the exam, pass the take home, ...etc. This is probably why the database hasn't been updated yet.
Careful Lando, without a license number you are not a PE yet, you're breaking the law.

6704. Defines who may use engineer titles

(a) In order to safeguard life, health, property, and public welfare, no person shall

practice civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering unless appropriately licensed or specifically

exempted from licensure under this chapter, and only persons licensed under this chapter shall be

entitled to take and use the titles “consulting engineer,” “professional engineer,” or “registered

engineer,” or any combination of those titles or abbreviations thereof, and according to licensure

with the board the engineering branch titles specified in Section 6732, or the authority titles

specified in Sections 6736 and 6736.1, or the title “engineer-in-training.”

good point, but don't they do all that before we are allowed to sit for the exam? I wonder if anyone has ever passed the exam, but was denied a license. That would be very cruel.

Careful Lando, without a license number you are not a PE yet, you're breaking the law.

(a) In order to safeguard life, health, property, and public welfare, no person shall

practice civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering unless appropriately licensed or specifically

exempted from licensure under this chapter, and only persons licensed under this chapter shall be

entitled to take and use the titles “consulting engineer,” “professional engineer,” or “registered

engineer,” or any combination of those titles or abbreviations thereof, and according to licensure

with the board the engineering branch titles specified in Section 6732, or the authority titles

Bummer, I'll quietly remove the title from my signature. That database better update soon before people start asking me why I removed it. How embarassing!

Bummer, I'll quietly remove the title from my signature. That database better update soon before people start asking me why I removed it. How embarassing!
Better than having a client try to verify you're licensed and find that you're not...

Better than having a client try to verify you're licensed and find that you're not...
Well I actually work for the government so that wouldn't happen, but I took it off anyway. We don't actually use the license. The government just wants to prove that it employs engineers who know what they are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well I actually work for the government so that wouldn't happen, but I took it off anyway. We don't actually use the license. The government just wants to prove that it employs engineers who know what they are doing.
@lando: is that the govt's want or just how you'd think about yourself having the PE license? If you become a PE, be proud of it and walk tall. Good luck!

More importantly, once we're licensed, it appears we have a choice or two about the seal design

cape1.gif
cape2.gif

I think I'm going for "professional engineer", I don't like the sound of registered or licensed out the front, and I like the double line version better.

More importantly, once we're licensed, it appears we have a choice or two about the seal design

cape1.gif
cape2.gif

I think I'm going for "professional engineer", I don't like the sound of registered or licensed out the front, and I like the double line version better.

Don't forget, expiration dates are no longer required.

Don't let your license expire, besides paying a late fee, they can also go after you if you use P.E. in your signature while your license is expired. I believe we have to renew our license fairly soon after we get our license.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/licensees/renewal_info.shtml

First-time Licensure - Your examination fee includes licensure through the first renewal quarter after the exam results were approved by the Board. Approximately one to two months after being notified of passing the examination, first-time licensees will receive a renewal notice for payment of the full renewal fee. Once renewed, the license will be valid for an additional two (2) years. The renewal month and day will remain the same until the license is retired, canceled, or revoked.

The renewal fee is $125.00.

@lando: is that the govt's want or just how you'd think about yourself having the PE license? If you become a PE, be proud of it and walk tall. Good luck!
I'll be proud to display the P.E. title, but government engineers don't stamp their drawings. The federal government requires a PE for engineering management positions, but only encourages it for design engineers and design managers. We are exempt since we are not under the jurisdiction of the states. The reason they encourage the PE is so that we are more competent professionals.

I'll be proud to display the P.E. title, but government engineers don't stamp their drawings. The federal government requires a PE for engineering management positions, but only encourages it for design engineers and design managers. We are exempt since we are not under the jurisdiction of the states. The reason they encourage the PE is so that we are more competent professionals.
Do you work for Caltrans? because all the Caltrans plans I've seen are stamped by a PE. I'm just curious. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back