Basement Finishing thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was growing up, we had basements, but the first house I ever lived in had a coal cellar.
It must have been really cool when you first got electric lights, huh?

I'm sorry Mary, I couldn't resist. I think you know, you and I are about the same age.
I need to get me one of those horseless carriages so I can go buy them newfangled electric thingies... :eek:ldtimer:

I used to have micorstation on my work pc but it got taken off

FYI...You can download Microstation and use it up to 15 minutes at a time, and since it saves as you go....you just open the drawing back up. Not all the bad really.

Good work on the renovations though!

well.... here are some updates, seems like I havent really gotten that far, sheetrocking ceilings by yourself, is tough, and SLOW!

th_100_0351.jpg

th_100_0343.jpg

th_100_0344.jpg

th_100_0347.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I started way after you did, and I'm farther along. But that's probably because I hired out the drywall hanging, and have some buddies that know how to frame.

yes, I have just not had much time the last month it seems, I need one good weekend and I will be done with the rock and will be ready to hire someone to mud it.

I am hoping it will go pretty fast after that, not shown but the ceiling to the bathroom is done and rocked, the back room is all rocked.

I wasted a week trying to find the flexible gas line to supply gas to the kitchen before I finished the ceiling under it (we didnt have gas in the current kitchen for some reason and I wanted to be able to have it there whenever I get around to doing that project) thats the yellow thing you see in the picture I need to trim back

yes, I have just not had much time the last month it seems, I need one good weekend and I will be done with the rock and will be ready to hire someone to mud it.
I am hoping it will go pretty fast after that, not shown but the ceiling to the bathroom is done and rocked, the back room is all rocked.

I wasted a week trying to find the flexible gas line to supply gas to the kitchen before I finished the ceiling under it (we didnt have gas in the current kitchen for some reason and I wanted to be able to have it there whenever I get around to doing that project) thats the yellow thing you see in the picture I need to trim back
Yeah, I had my plumber install the gas line to my kitchen and my fireplace while he was already down there doing the rough-in. I don't mess around with natural gas lines in my house.

I am just putting it in place so it will be there when I need to hook it up but am not doing the actual hookup.

my house had the flex gas lines throughout, it turned out to be a commercial product, not very cheap but made roughin in very easy and i didnt have to have a plumber do it, i have 30 extra feet if anyone needs any...

do you mind how much you paid for "mudding" I have had quotes from $900(me buying the mud) to $2500 (which I cant fathom).. I didnt get a real "warm & fuzzy" from the $900 guy to be honest..

I have about 800 SF of space, with those extra corners (trey type ceiling) which I have found take more time and money to do...

If you're paying $900 to get "warm & fuzzy" with the mud guy, I would seriously reconsider many aspects of your life...

I am just putting it in place so it will be there when I need to hook it up but am not doing the actual hookup.
my house had the flex gas lines throughout, it turned out to be a commercial product, not very cheap but made roughin in very easy and i didnt have to have a plumber do it, i have 30 extra feet if anyone needs any...

do you mind how much you paid for "mudding" I have had quotes from $900(me buying the mud) to $2500 (which I cant fathom).. I didnt get a real "warm & fuzzy" from the $900 guy to be honest..

I have about 800 SF of space, with those extra corners (trey type ceiling) which I have found take more time and money to do...
somewhere in the upper middle range might be best, unless you don't care how well the seems come out. mudding ceilings sucks...thats why most people end up putting a texture on it.

I'm paying a guy $2400 to provide, hang, mud, tape, texture, and prime 2800+ sq. ft. of drywall. You could say I'm getting a deal.

Tiles are grouted. They look better than they did pre-grout, but there are still a lot of screw-ups in there.

So...I was going around installing faceplates on electric outlets, switches, and coax cable today. I hooked up the cable faceplates in the gym and pool room, then I went to the theater. No coax box. WTF, mate? I know I ran the cable to a box in there. So I go back and check my pictures in that room, and sure 'nuff, there's a gang box with a coax cable in it one stud to the left of the receptacle and other A/V cables. The drywallers put drywall right over the box. I measured 16" over from the space between the other two boxes, and poked a hole with my keyhole saw. But it was on the wrong side of the stud. I tried it again 2" to the right, and found the box. Now I have a damned 1/2" square hole in the drywall that I have to patch.

Tiles are grouted. They look better than they did pre-grout, but there are still a lot of screw-ups in there.
So...I was going around installing faceplates on electric outlets, switches, and coax cable today. I hooked up the cable faceplates in the gym and pool room, then I went to the theater. No coax box. WTF, mate? I know I ran the cable to a box in there. So I go back and check my pictures in that room, and sure 'nuff, there's a gang box with a coax cable in it one stud to the left of the receptacle and other A/V cables. The drywallers put drywall right over the box. I measured 16" over from the space between the other two boxes, and poked a hole with my keyhole saw. But it was on the wrong side of the stud. I tried it again 2" to the right, and found the box. Now I have a damned 1/2" square hole in the drywall that I have to patch.
that happened to my inlaws whole house when they hired a drywall contracter. they actually cut out maybe 1 for every 4 they missed. FIL was not a happy camper, but that's what happens when you go with the dirt cheap bid.

that happened to my inlaws whole house when they hired a drywall contracter. they actually cut out maybe 1 for every 4 they missed. FIL was not a happy camper, but that's what happens when you go with the dirt cheap bid.
Yeah...I guess I should just be happy that it was only 1 out of about 30.

Painted trim and doors today. The trim was a piece of cake. The doors sucked donkey balls. Cleaning up oil based paint FUCKING SUCKS! My mom got over here a little before 8:30, and we finished up at 4:30. That's not really what I would call a day off. Plus, I have to put another coat of paint on the door slabs because for some reason, they were primed with an off-white primer instead of white...so the white paint didn't cover in one coat.

Sorry to hear you're not having fun. Why are you using oil based paint?

We decided to paint all of the trim in our house white, but because our doors were already white, we didn't think we'd have to paint them. It was only after we painted a bunch of trim and started rehanging the doors that we realized the doors were actually off white. Ended up having to paint all of the doors as well. Husband was not happy.

And when I use the term "we" in the above paragraph, I mean my husband - he doesn't like me to help paint because I'm not very good at it.

The guy at the paint store recommended oil-based for trim and doors because it dries harder. It will definitely be a nice finish, but damn, it's a pain in the ass to clean up. All of the walls have been latex. I don't know what the ceiling is because the can is just labeled "Ceiling White".

Back