April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone should print this out and put it in the cover sleeve of a binder lol

View attachment 16429
lol beat me to it!  I have the drawing on the right printed out already.  The plastic covers on the binders I used had plain sheets of paper inserted and labeled such as "NEC Code Info" or "Eng Pro Guides Practice Exams".  My consolidated binder with all my combined sections and notes is called "THE BINDER" lol.

I was going to take that drawing on the right and use it for one of my binders to see how many looks/laughs I get.

Someone should use it as their avatar lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be careful guys. I think inserting sheets to the plastic cover binder is not a good idea. The papers should be bounded/attached to the binder. That's my perception, atleast. :)  

Just be careful guys. I think inserting sheets to the plastic cover binder is not a good idea. The papers should be bounded/attached to the binder. That's my perception, atleast. :)  
I saw others doing it and none of my proctors ever mentioned it.  A lot of these binders come with a cover sheet already inside the plastic cover.  I just replaced it with something I could identify easily.  You can also buy them without the cover and just write on them with a sharpie.  

The wording is important
FAULT power...NOT total input power

obviously the xfmr has losses but input P = fault + losses

output = fault

therefore the FAULT P component is the same on both sides but total in vs out is not

another take: inf bus Z source = 0, ie, no Vdrop

input P=1/pu Z, no drop means output P =1/pu Z AVAILABLE

the losses are still fault P supplied by the source, even if the bolted fault Z=0 meaning all fault P is dissipated in the xfmr itself

The answer to the questions is D. What I don't understand is why the transformer impedance and transformer rating doesn't cause a change in fault power on the low side?

I took CI #1 at the end of the 1st week in January and scored 63/80 (79%).  

Hang in there.  We have 2 months left, so just start back taking timed tests and make indexes/lists on topics you're struggling with.  You're in my class right?  Feel free to ask me about the any of the homework/end of week problems you're struggling with.  His are pretty good in my opinion.  Cram for PE is a good practice exam to take.  I know there are 4 out there but I only have the first one.
Thank you MetoEE for your kind words about the Cram book. My other two sample test have completely original questions from the first. No repeats! If you could be so kind to leave a review on Amazon so other engineers get the proper feedback. I offer money back for those that leave reviews. See www.cramforthepe.com for details.

Took the Cram practice test #1 today with timed. Got 60/80. 😑

would like ask some questions in some of my mistakes. ☹️

Took the Cram practice test #1 today with timed. Got 60/80. 😑

would like ask some questions in some of my mistakes. ☹️
60/80 is very good. You can send me an email via

http://cramforthepe.com/index.php/contact/://cramforthepe.com/index.php/contact/

I would be happy to answer all your questions. I have two other sample exams that have very different questions from exam 1.  

Took the first half of @Zach Stone, P.E. practice exam today and ran out of time. The code problems are tricky! I need to work on code, capacitors, and getting more familiar with transmission line problems.

Id love to read some more about problem #11 if you have a suggested reference, the whole concept is fascinating!

Took the first half of @Zach Stone, P.E. practice exam today and ran out of time. The code problems are tricky! I need to work on code, capacitors, and getting more familiar with transmission line problems.

Id love to read some more about problem #11 if you have a suggested reference, the whole concept is fascinating!
Hi @speakeelsy, Glad you enjoyed the problem.

Just about any good protection book should touch on transformer inrush and the effects it can have on protection considerations. Blackburn's Protective Relaying Principles and Applications does a good job discussing it in Chapter 9 if you have the book. You can find a link to the book among others that we recommend for the PE exam on our list of Recommended References for the Electrical Power PE Exam.

If anyone else is curious, here is the problem from the Electrical Engineering PE Practice Exam and Technical Study Guide by Electrical PE Review:

Electrical Engineering PE Practice Exam and Technical Study Guide by Electrical PE Review, INC...png

​

Electrical Engineering PE Practice Exam and Technical Study Guide by Electrical PE Review, INC...png

​

Don't forget you can click each image to make it larger.

Coming up on 6 weeks until the exam?

What do y'alls "milk crates" look like?

I will have between 20-25 books (at least) counting my 5-6 "code binders". I will be bringing our "extra large rolling suite case". No way a milk crate is carrying all I'm bringing. 

My references are not in the milk crate yet. I might going to get a storage bin rather than a milk crate because of these big loads I have right now.😂😂😂
Those are some big binders. What do you have in them?

Do you have the NFPA 497, 499, and 30B in that stack?

I will have between 20-25 books (at least) counting my 5-6 "code binders". I will be bringing our "extra large rolling suite case". No way a milk crate is carrying all I'm bringing. 
Got a picture?

Those are some big binders. What do you have in them?

Do you have the NFPA 497, 499, and 30B in that stack?
Those big binders are my practice worked problems and references from different resources. :)   

Yes. all those codes you mentioned are in a separate binder(located on the top left) together with my NESC 2017 . :)  

Those big binders are my practice worked problems and references from different resources. :)   

Yes. all those codes you mentioned are in a separate binder(located on the top left) together with my NESC 2017 . :)  
Heck yeah! Look at those elegantly organized D-rings. You are gonna kill it!

Seriously though, that is SO MANY problems! So much repetition and studying just tucked in every corner of your brain. So good!

Good luck 😃

Heck yeah! Look at those elegantly organized D-rings. You are gonna kill it!

Seriously though, that is SO MANY problems! So much repetition and studying just tucked in every corner of your brain. So good!

Good luck 😃
@ItsStudyTime! ,those setup were inspired by you, though.😂 . Followed your study setup and the index style. The problems are not really repetitive. There  just too many articles and subtopics I added in there just to make sure to kill each of the problems on the PE exam. 😊

Hello,

I think I asked this before but I didn't get any replies. Are there any study groups out there who maybe meet up over skype/discord? I study way better in a group with other people.

Thanks

My references are not in the milk crate yet. I might going to get a storage bin rather than a milk crate because of these big loads I have right now.😂😂😂

View attachment 16621
That looks really good. I kind of feel like I should be doing that considering that all of my worked problems are in sets of spiral bound notebooks. Do you use tabs on any of them?

Back