April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a quick glance, without spending time in the chapters, if you're weaker in protection, it may be worthwhile to go thru the problems. Some of the questions are below the level of the exam but I think they may help you in the long run
Thank you!!! I may try to do some of them then. It's not my best subject, but I'm more weak on the theory than the math.

Yeah I went the Zach way of each section being by the NCEES Specifications page. I made 2 binders A-Z There are 48 total sections so 26 letters x 2 binders means 52 tabs. SO each section has its own tab. I have an index at the start of each binder that labels those sections. 

So if its a illumination or an engineering economy I'm there in 5 seconds. What hurts is when its a small subsection, and its hidden in those 2 binders. I'm trying to add important subsections to my index :(
Not sure if this will help you, but the other thing I did once I had my dividers & sections & TOC sorted was that I wrote on the top right corner of pages - just a little 'keyword note' about what was on that page/in that problem. 'motor, DC, theory' or similar. That helped with the 'sub-section' thing a bit, because i could 'fan' through the corners quickly trying to see if the keyword was in this section or that section if I narrowed it down. The format of the keyed notes is like, 'main thing on this page, sub-thing relevant to this page or problem, other keyword related to this that may not be in top-level-section name' or something like that. Helped with quickly finding problems once I was in the right section, but also helped locate related-but-not-exactly aligned sub-topic type info within a section. Nothing bigger than what would fit in the 1''x1'' square in the top right corner, only a few words, stacked maybe 2 or 3 deep within that square.

How was studying over the weekend???

Anyone take timed practice exams? Score?

Has anyone tried practicing going somewhere other than home to take a timed practice exam?

The exam is just under 10 weeks out, right (April 17)?

Last edited by a moderator:
How was studying over the weekend???

Anyone take timed practice exams? Score?

Has anyone tried practicing going somewhere other than home to take a timed practice exam?

The exam is just under 10 weeks out, right (April 17)?
Had strep throat last 5 days but got to study a pretty good bit on Sunday, I have taken a couple practice test but need to take more timed. Technically I've taken 5 practice test but only 2 were timed. I can not take a practice test at home, I don't see how anyone could with as much reference books as it takes. It's much easier to leave all my reference material at work and just come here to take practice test. 

Yes we have less than 10 weeks! 9.5! 

Had strep throat last 5 days but got to study a pretty good bit on Sunday, I have taken a couple practice test but need to take more timed. Technically I've taken 5 practice test but only 2 were timed. I can not take a practice test at home, I don't see how anyone could with as much reference books as it takes. It's much easier to leave all my reference material at work and just come here to take practice test. 

Yes we have less than 10 weeks! 9.5! 
It's good practice to go somewhere and lug your references with you. Like starbucks or something. Just to get in the habit of gathering everything you need. I think it's a good idea to make sure you keep every book/reference in the same physical place in your crate (or whatever) so it's easier to recognize if you're missing something.

When I began studying I had all of my references in the crate. When I started a session I pulled them all out, and when I was finished I put them all back. I never left anything out sitting on a table or anything. That was also because I would study at different places (in addition to home), so I had really good practice and making sure I had everything I needed for a study session (pencils, calculator, books, etc.).

It's good practice to go somewhere and lug your references with you. Like starbucks or something. Just to get in the habit of gathering everything you need. I think it's a good idea to make sure you keep every book/reference in the same physical place in your crate (or whatever) so it's easier to recognize if you're missing something.

When I began studying I had all of my references in the crate. When I started a session I pulled them all out, and when I was finished I put them all back. I never left anything out sitting on a table or anything. That was also because I would study at different places (in addition to home), so I had really good practice and making sure I had everything I needed for a study session (pencils, calculator, books, etc.).
Random question to anyone with experience with libraries. Like I can't study at home, i got 2 5 year old twin princesses and I can't do it so I have to leave. 

Would it be awkward or raise safety concerns if i wheeled a suit case into a library? I think I have more reference than most EE's, but that's the kind of person I am. I want to feel over prepared and have everything I MIGHT need with me. So I'm assuming. 

I just counted, right now I have somewhere b/w 27-30 Binders/books combined. So I will be rolling in a large suit case to the exam. 

Would it be awkward or raise safety concerns if i wheeled a suit case into a library?
They might think a) You're there to try to steal books, or b) you're homeless and looking for a place to crash lol

Does UTC have study rooms that can be rented out? At my college library there were study rooms that could be rented for the day. It was free to anyone with a college ID.

Last edited by a moderator:
They might think a) You're there to try to steal books, or b) you're homeless and looking for a place to crash lol

Does UTC have study rooms that can be rented out? At my college library there were study rooms that could be rented for the day. It was free to anyone with a college ID.
Problem is parking, UTC is VERY quick at slinging tickets. They have tons of meter maids constantly patrolling. I have a freaking double alumni tag they need to just honor it and not ticket me on weekends. Like no one is there on weekends anyways 😞

Random question to anyone with experience with libraries. Like I can't study at home, i got 2 5 year old twin princesses and I can't do it so I have to leave. 

Would it be awkward or raise safety concerns if i wheeled a suit case into a library? I think I have more reference than most EE's, but that's the kind of person I am. I want to feel over prepared and have everything I MIGHT need with me. So I'm assuming. 

I just counted, right now I have somewhere b/w 27-30 Binders/books combined. So I will be rolling in a large suit case to the exam. 
I never lugged a suitcase into the library, but last year I had the habit of going in/out multiple times to get in all my references, including a large book-bag with shoulder strap, to a table and I would spread out all my stuff before starting the timer.  The library was a great place because they have tables similar to the real exam, plus once in a while you'll hear people and little kids running around so it helps to bring ear plugs anyway.  

I do my timed practice exams at the library or at home.  At home it's not bad because I have the upstairs bonus room to myself and my wife will usually take our son somewhere for a few hours.

We went out of town this past weekend so I wasn't able to to a full timed exam.  I scored 4/10 on the Eng Pro Guides end-of-week exam (batteries, rectifiers, ladder logic), which pissed me off because I did much better on circuits, but it was good for me to know what I need to work on.  I did a 4-hour timed morning session for Cram the Exam Part 1 and scored 23/40.  Those were good problems.  

I go to the local public library.  There's two I can choose from.  Problem is, they're only open 9-5 on weekends, so I can barely get in an 8 hour session.  That's not bad, because at this point most practice exams shouldn't take the full 4 hours so maybe the extra pressure would help me lol.

The library in the older part of our town has homeless people that hang/wander around sometimes so a suitcase would definitely arouse suspicion in my case.

I can not take a practice test at home, I don't see how anyone could with as much reference books as it takes. It's much easier to leave all my reference material at work and just come here to take practice test. 
My final attempt at studying, I studied at my boyfriend's house at a desk that was 24"x36" and awful legroom [I was basically living there and was slowly moving in, he was in fact aware lol]

I didn't want to study at work and have my stuff here since I kept it from most of my coworkers that I was even taking it

My final attempt at studying, I studied at my boyfriend's house at a desk that was 24"x36" and awful legroom [I was basically living there and was slowly moving in, he was in fact aware lol]

I didn't want to study at work and have my stuff here since I kept it from most of my coworkers that I was even taking it
Oh for sure, if my coworkers didn't know i would never study here. But all my directors/VP's made the biggest deal after getting my master's and passing FE that THEY KNEW I WOULD PASS PE FIRST TIME AND WANTED ME TO SIGN UP FOR IN THIS APRIL. So yeah, you're right, if they didn't know about it I would NEVER have anything at work lol. 

I'm the exact opposite.  I told everybody, and no one, not even my boss or owner of the company (it's a small company) seemed to care or remember:

1.  When the exam was.

2.  Whether or not I even took a review course (even though they paid for it).  This third time around, I told the owner I wanted to take a review course (Justin's).  He said, "Oh yeah that's a great idea!" He didn't even remember me taking Zach's course the first time.

3.  How many times I even took it (when I took it the second time my boss thought it would be the third time).

4.  If I even passed.  I told everyone on Dec. 13th (yes I still remember)  that I didn't pass.  The owner came into my office a month later and asked if I had gotten the results yet.

I would maybe just talk to someone at the front desk of the library and let them know what you are doing. Once they see the spread you have they should understand why you needed a suitcase  :laugh:

I like to take practice exams at my office. We have conference/training rooms with setups similar to the exam site. I am using a carry on suitcase to carry my references around. I may upgrade to a full size suitcase though. I like having all of my references completely protected. I had an experience last year or the year before when it was pouring rain on test day and my stuff was stored in a rolling crate. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

So far I have taken 2 timed tests. Both Complex Imaginary. I scored around a 70 on both. The last one I took I left a few of my references at home (thus the need for the full size suitcase) and I know I could have answered 4 or 5 more questions with those references. Still not feeling great even if I had gotten those 4 or 5 additional questions correct. The CI exams are too simple so to feel comfortable I think I should be scoring 85+

We passed the flu around in our house last week so I'm a little behind. Trying to catch up this week and plan on taking a timed test this weekend. I'm thinking I'll give one of the Cram for the PE exams a go or Eng Pro Guide.

How have you guys scored on the Complex Imaginary exams. With the scores I've gotten I really need to buckle down.  

I would maybe just talk to someone at the front desk of the library and let them know what you are doing. Once they see the spread you have they should understand why you needed a suitcase  :laugh:

I like to take practice exams at my office. We have conference/training rooms with setups similar to the exam site. I am using a carry on suitcase to carry my references around. I may upgrade to a full size suitcase though. I like having all of my references completely protected. I had an experience last year or the year before when it was pouring rain on test day and my stuff was stored in a rolling crate. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

So far I have taken 2 timed tests. Both Complex Imaginary. I scored around a 70 on both. The last one I took I left a few of my references at home (thus the need for the full size suitcase) and I know I could have answered 4 or 5 more questions with those references. Still not feeling great even if I had gotten those 4 or 5 additional questions correct. The CI exams are too simple so to feel comfortable I think I should be scoring 85+

We passed the flu around in our house last week so I'm a little behind. Trying to catch up this week and plan on taking a timed test this weekend. I'm thinking I'll give one of the Cram for the PE exams a go or Eng Pro Guide.

How have you guys scored on the Complex Imaginary exams. With the scores I've gotten I really need to buckle down.  
I took CI #1 at the end of the 1st week in January and scored 63/80 (79%).  

Hang in there.  We have 2 months left, so just start back taking timed tests and make indexes/lists on topics you're struggling with.  You're in my class right?  Feel free to ask me about the any of the homework/end of week problems you're struggling with.  His are pretty good in my opinion.  Cram for PE is a good practice exam to take.  I know there are 4 out there but I only have the first one.

(thus the need for the full size suitcase) and I know I could have answered 4 or 5 more questions with those references. Still not feeling great even if I had gotten those 4 or 5 additional questions correct.
Welp, I was already going to take everything. I am FOR SURE taking everything now. Seems silly not too. 

Welp, I was already going to take everything. I am FOR SURE taking everything now. Seems silly not too. 
There's no reason not to take something if you've read through it, have a good index or at least put some tabs in so you know where to find something when needed.  

There will definitely be a few books you'll bring that you never use.  That happens to all of us.  I'd rather have 3 books I never use than have one I didn't bring and wish I had it.

I brought a 100lb suitcase with me.  I work in a utility office and have many old books that I found to be useful on the exam.  There are enough "oddball" questions that I thought it's better to bring everything than leave something behind.  You never know if you pass by 1 question or 10, I found one question on the exam in one of my old books that I should've likely never brought to the exam, but I did.  

I had books everywhere, on my table, under my seat, next to my seat, no one complained and proctors didn't say anything.

Back