April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's the studying going?
Okay.

Saturday was a wash since I got called into work, but Im making some good progress though Zach's course. It's taking longer than I expected, but I've been taking pretty detailed notes, and hit a few havent-seen-in-a-decade topics this week. 

I feel a bajillion times better about phasor diagrams than I did last week, so that's a win!

I'm doing ok.  I took a break from doing a timed practice exam and just went back through the Eng Pro Guides Full Exam.  I went over stuff I missed, but also took an index sheet (Zach Stone calls it an index sheet.  Really it's a list of problems/sections you've missed so you can go back and review) and wrote down WHY I missed the problem.  That way I can keep track of not only what I'm missing, but why.  For example, the following may be a few reasons why I missed a problem.

1.  Calculator error.  The WORST mistake.  Not only is it careless and preventable, but I actually knew 100% how to do the problem, but not having my answer match any the choices so I started doubting my knowledge of the topic.  Went around in circles before finally giving up on the problem.  I wasted time as well as got the problem wrong. I guess slowing down a bit helps but hard to do sometimes under pressure.

2.  Completely not knowing where to begin or understand what the question is asking.  This is where I need to review a topic from multiple sources (class notes/videos or even YouTube videos).  The diode/rectifier problems and some of the economics problems were this way at first.

3.  Understanding the problem and knowing how to go about the solution, but getting one thing wrong, like mutliplying or dividing by sq rt 3, adding or subtracting 30 degrees for leading or lagging, etc.  These kind of issues I"m finding it's helpful to do drill problem after drill problem to ingrain the right habits and learn how to make the right phasor or single circuit equivalent diagrams to keep everything straight.

4.  A qualitative question in which 3 answers all seem to make sense, or none of them do.  One trick is finding two answers that are opposites so you can at least narrow it down to 50-50.  In the past (during review) I would write down not only the right answer, but why the others were wrong.  This helped me on the last actual exam, just not as much as I would have liked.  

I have 4 days where I study (one of them being a timed 8-hour practice exam) and 3 days where I don't.  I never take two days off in a row and I never study more than 2 days in a row.  I think this is good for balance. 

Going on these boards and looking at other problems people post helps too.  I have others who PM me problems and that helps.  I greatly appreciate everyone's help on here.  

I completed CI practice exam 1 yesterday. I scored a 70. I was happy with how much I was remembering but nervous about some of the simple errors I made. Those are really the first problems I've worked outside of circuits so I'm hoping that once I really start digging in I make some big strides. I know that if I would have taken EngPro Guide, Zach's or the NCEES practice exam it would have been disastrous!

I made the well known sq. rt. 3 error on one problem 

Had my calculator in rads instead of degrees at one point

There was a TCC problem. I found the correct multiple of pickup but as I was following the line up my eyes skipped to the neighboring line which gave me the incorrect time dial setting. 

I didn't replicate testing conditions exactly. I got a late start and wanted to get home for dinner so I finished up a couple hours early. I'm hoping that if I would have spent time checking my work I would have found some of the simple errors. 

I'm also notoriously bad about reading a problem, then immediately start punching numbers in my calculator, finding an answer and writing it down without showing my work. In order to go back and check myself I need to get out of that habit.

Plan is to study around 2 hours Mon-Wed., have a long study session on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday. It's all on the calendar so now it's time to just dig my heels in for the next few months. 

Had my calculator in rads instead of degrees at one point

Last summer I was doing a timed practice exam, and my calculator literally "froze".  I have the Ti-36X Pro and it has a factory default "reset" button on the back.  A simple press with the pencil and I was back in business.  However, it defaulted to radians and took me a while to get it back to all the settings I wanted.  Would have cost me a few mins and possible error on the actual exam.  I ended up buying a backup calculator and making sure both were set to identical preferred settings.  

I'm also notoriously bad about reading a problem, then immediately start punching numbers in my calculator, finding an answer and writing it down without showing my work. In order to go back and check myself I need to get out of that habit.

This can happen with simple ratio problems such as finding turns ratio on a CT, or being asked what the current reading is on a CT.  Easy to do.  Best to flag the problem, come back to it later and re-read the problem.  

I ended up buying a backup calculator and making sure both were set to identical preferred settings. 
I use the Casio fx-115es plus and I have a backup as well. When I took the FE I needed to use the integrate function for a problem. It was taking the calculator a VERY long time to compute. I started freaking out then remembered I had a back up. I was able to get through 2 different problems with my backup before my other calculator finished the integration. My heart was racing for a quick second. I will never take this exam without a backup!!!!

I use the Casio fx-115es plus and I have a backup as well. When I took the FE I needed to use the integrate function for a problem. It was taking the calculator a VERY long time to compute. I started freaking out then remembered I had a back up. I was able to get through 2 different problems with my backup before my other calculator finished the integration. My heart was racing for a quick second. I will never take this exam without a backup!!!!
I've literally had dreams where one of the following happens:

1.  I start the exam and my calculator is nowhere to be found.

2.  My alarm doesn't go off and I wake up at exactly 8am, too late to get to the exam site.

3.  I go somewhere for lunch after the morning session and some altercation happens (the restaurant gets robbed, I run out of gas, my car breaks down, I fall asleep and wake up two hours later) to where I can't take the second part.

4.  Someone from this board actually knocks on my car door during the halftime break and gets in the passenger side and starts to draw circuit diagrams to help me with a potential problem.

Because of #1, one of my calculators is ALWAYS in the side pocket of the backpack I use to carry around stuff.  That way whatever happens I will always have one calculator with me. The other is in my study room or at work.

1.  I start the exam and my calculator is nowhere to be found.
I think I posted this in a thread the last time I took the exam. I was in a fairly small room (maybe 50-75 people) and a guy realized he left his calculator at his apartment. He talked quietly to a proctor about it and left. He didn't make it back in time. All of his references sat there the whole day. Nobody knew that's why he left. Someone would have let him borrow a calculator.

Any good reference for variable frequency drives and ladder logic?
I know EngPro Guide has a section on ladder logic and VFDs. It's been a while since I've gone through those sections so I'm not sure how deep into the topic he goes. It's a really good reference so if you don't have it already you should definitely get it.

I think I posted this in a thread the last time I took the exam. I was in a fairly small room (maybe 50-75 people) and a guy realized he left his calculator at his apartment. He talked quietly to a proctor about it and left. He didn't make it back in time. All of his references sat there the whole day. Nobody knew that's why he left. Someone would have let him borrow a calculator.
That's awful and I can't imagine having to go through that.  

This happened to someone during the last actual exam I took.  Another test taker had a spare similar calculator and he/she was able to borrow it.

Another person locked their keys in their car and their cell phone was inside.  Fortunately he had already taken all his exam stuff inside before the test started.  I let him borrow my phone so he could call for help.  I'm glad it didn't affect him taking the test.

I like that small is 50-75 people for you lol

VT had 15 in October 2019 LOL

I know EngPro Guide has a section on ladder logic and VFDs. It's been a while since I've gone through those sections so I'm not sure how deep into the topic he goes. It's a really good reference so if you don't have it already you should definitely get it.
I found the ladder logic section from Zach to be easier to understand than Justin's. It's probably because of the video. And also Boyfriend is a SCADA/Controls technician so hewalked me thru it.

@lost4ever_again I might have something stored in my Google drive, i'll look later and get back to you. Send me a PM if you want. 

I like that small is 50-75 people for you lol

VT had 15 in October 2019 LOL
Haha! The main room has around 300-400 people and then there are probably 7 -10 rooms with 50-75 people. There's also an alternate location for overflow that's at a hotel. I took the exam there once and it was amazing!!! Requested a late checkout so I just woke up, went downstairs for breakfast then went back to my room for my references and headed to the conference room I was assigned to. 

Haha! The main room has around 300-400 people and then there are probably 7 -10 rooms with 50-75 people. There's also an alternate location for overflow that's at a hotel. I took the exam there once and it was amazing!!! Requested a late checkout so I just woke up, went downstairs for breakfast then went back to my room for my references and headed to the conference room I was assigned to. 
Yeah no thanks to that! 

Where are you testing!? 

I dorve the 4 hours to VT to have the small testing group and home court advantage (I took the FE in VT) 

NC State University
I redesigned and took part in the fire alarm system renovations at Winston, Tompkins and Caldwell Halls, the DH Hill Library and worked on many other electrical power/lighting/fire alarm renovations there (Price Music Center, Stewart Theater, Carmichael Gym, etc.)  They were a good client for us.  We moved to TN in 2016 so I'm sure the campus looks a bit different now.

NC State University
Oh nice - I attempted an online masters from them.

Online learning isn't my strong suit lol 

Oh  I found some TCC stuff in my Drive account. Do you need/want it? Or are you good & just need a ruler to follow all the tiny tiny lines? 

We moved to TN in 2016 so I'm sure the campus looks a bit different now.
The exams are always in McKimmon Center. I haven't spent any time walking around on campus. I always drive up on Thursday and at that point I'm just relieved to be there so I go out for dinner and go back to my room. I don't need any extra excitement the day before the exam :)  When the test is over I can't get away fast enough! 

Online learning isn't my strong suit lol 

Oh  I found some TCC stuff in my Drive account. Do you need/want it? Or are you good & just need a ruler to follow all the tiny tiny lines? 
Yeah the amount of self discipline needed for online classes is sorely lacking in me. I just can't do it!

I would love some TCC stuff. In the example that I messed up it was just my eyes skipping over to the next line when I was half way up to the curve but I'm sure there are much tougher TCC problems that I could come across. 

Awful.  I took two full-timed practice exams (School of PE and Complex Imaginary) and got 80% and 79%.  Not great and those are easier problems compared to others I have.  Then last weekend I took the Eng Pro Guides full exam and scored 58%.  

I went back to look at some drill problems I worked on a week ago and I honestly couldn't remember doing some of them.  

I think I just need to keep working through more problems and just keep going but honestly I don't feel good about the whole thing at the moment.
I took the Eng Pro Guides exam as my very last practice exam VERY close to the real exam and I got a failing score....then I still passed the PE. Don't let that one discourage you! It's tough! And worded slightly differently that all the others. It was definitely a curve ball. BUT, then I did my 'parsing' method' and put all those problems in the binder, and then filled a bunch of holes in my binder and was really helpful in the end as a a resource. 😃

Back