April 2021 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 22614
Figures they would release when I was out in the field all day. After a long day of sampling a puddle with a medicine dropper, a grueling 4 hour exercise, I was horrified that I missed the NCEES email notification. Then I was terrified to check my account. Now I’m happy crying 🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲
Sweet victory! You'll always remember that field day. Congrats.

The Georgia process is total mystery to us. We've been trying to figure out for years if there is a reason why they add some names, and in what order.

What I can tell you is that if it tells you that you passed, then you passed. But the opposite isn't true. Just because it doesn't say doesn't mean you failed. Some people can't find themselves on the website, and then the email comes from NCEES and they learned that they passed.
They take all the papers, throw them in the air and pick them up one at a time to enter them. No rhyme or reason.

Yea, tomorrow is going to really suck for those in states that know others got results.

Cough cough David.

I failed the Civil Structural (42/80)...looks like this October will be the last pencil and paper for the Civil exams and then in 2022 they are moving to CBT. What are people's thoughts on the CBT? For those taking it again are you going to wait for the computer exam?
I'm going to go at it in October. This time around was my first time taking it and although I failed by more than i thought, (38/80), I know how I went wrong and where I went wrong and I have no doubt I'll be able to pass it in October.

And if I don't pass then, well, we'll all be in the same boat anyway with a brand new exam experience and more options to take it. It can only get better from here, right?

Just to give you an idea of how bad it can be starting with this message:
https://engineerboards.com/threads/which-state-will-release-last.34643/post-7610550
Decoupling really slowed things down in Colorado. They were really really late for a few cycles. It's gotten better since then and they'll never be a "day 1" state but it's still a painful wait.
What is Decoupling? Sorry, I am more curious than anything. Hopefully they can be a day 2 state this year, fingers crossed.

"Decoupling" is the process of removing the experience requirement as a prerequisite for taking the exam. About a dozen states have decoupled in the last few years. Those States now have two groups of examinees: examinees who pass and automatically get their license; and examinees who pass and then get a "boxed check" for a later application for license. The problem is that in many of those States the existing licensing system aren't designed to handle two groups of examinees. It's too expensive to redo their whole licensing system for a short-term problem, so it's cheaper to just do it manually for a few years. The wait may seem like a lot to "us" but it may only be handful of worker-days per year for the State and its not really worth the investment to upgrade.

The end result is that in some of those recently decoupled States like: Florida and Colorado is that they have really bad growing pains for a few cycles as they manually adjust to the new system. As time progresses, the number of legacy candidates decrease and the time spent on manual adjustments drops off dramatically too.

Last edited:
"Decoupling" is the process of removing the experience requirement as a prerequisite for taking the exam. About a dozen states have decoupled in the last few years. Those States now have two groups of examinees: examinees who pass and automatically get their license; and examinees who pass and then get a "boxed check" for a later application for license. The problem is that in many of those States the existing licensing system aren't designed to handle two groups of examinees. It's too expensive to redo their whole licensing system for a short-term problem, so it's cheaper to just do it manually for a few years. The wait may seem like a lot to "us" but it may only be handful of worker-days per year for the State and its not really worth the investment to upgrade.

The end result is that in some of those recently decoupled States like: Florida, Georgia, and Colorado is that they have really bad growing pains for a few cycles as they manually adjust to the new system. As time progresses, the number of legacy candidates decrease and the time spent on manual adjustments drops off dramatically too.
Thank you so much for the answer! Makes sense, dumb state of mine!

Congratulation on making it through this process.

To everyone who passed, CONGRATS!!!!! You have achieved a major goal and should take a moment to feel proud of yourself. You earned it.

To everyone who did not pass, I know, it sucks! But this exam does not define you personally or indicate how good of an engineer you are. You're entitled to your feelings. Be sad, disappointed, defeated. But when you're ready, move on and plan your next move. You got this.

To everyone who is still waiting, hang in there. You're results are coming. It sucks at the moment, but years from now you won't care whether you got your results on day 1 or day 3.

I hope everyone decides to come back to EB, we're a fun group. :)

Last edited:
View attachment 22614
Figures they would release when I was out in the field all day. After a long day of sampling a puddle with a medicine dropper, a grueling 4 hour exercise, I was horrified that I missed the NCEES email notification. Then I was terrified to check my account. Now I’m happy crying 🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲
I happy cried too!! Congrats!

I'm going to go at it in October. This time around was my first time taking it and although I failed by more than i thought, (38/80), I know how I went wrong and where I went wrong and I have no doubt I'll be able to pass it in October.

And if I don't pass then, well, we'll all be in the same boat anyway with a brand new exam experience and more options to take it. It can only get better from here, right?
Same here, first timer , PA, and structural. Good luck in October. I will try my best this time. Thank you everyone!

Back