April 2021 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked NCEES "using the Chat" about SE results and if it will be released today and they told me it is not ready yet

whats the highest failing score you have heard of? i feel theres a chance I may have squeezed out a 50/80 and it seems that many people who have posted failing diagnostics got less than 50/80 which leads me to believe 50/80 may be the approximate cutoff. (this is assuming that the 50/80 includes whatever questions NCEES chooses to throw out and give you credit for)

whats the highest failing score you have heard of? i feel theres a chance I may have squeezed out a 50/80 and it seems that many people who have posted failing diagnostics got less than 50/80 which leads me to believe 50/80 may be the approximate cutoff. (this is assuming that the 50/80 includes whatever questions NCEES chooses to throw out and give you credit for)
56/80 was the highest I've heard of posted earlier in this thread

Took the April 2021 exam for the first time, civil: construction. My husband is also a PE who took civil: construction in April 2012, results were released the Friday before memorial weekend. That was quite a suspenseful day as we were headed on vacation. Needless to say, he was extremely nervous to open that email. He wasn't a great student in school and felt so-so about the exam. But he passed on his first time! Best vacation for him ever... Now I'm here... let me just say, never marry another PE. It sort of feels like a competition and just adds to the stress... because I was a way better student then he ever was, and I will be choking on my own misery if I see the red box.. oh and I have an allergy test on Thursday, so that'll most likely be the day exam results release 🙄

Anyone know if NY releases their results on day 1 or 2? I'll be watching this thread religiously this week.
My husband is a PE, (I took my passing attempt exactly 10 years after his). He kept saying I'd be fine, I was smarter than him, and he passed first try. But when I didn't pass my first attempt, he had to backpedal a bit. :)

This is a mostly futile exercise that can only be compared between the same test in the same session.

Cut score varies. There are many posts about it on this thread and others, but the concise answer is this- Highest cut score reported that anyone here has seen was 57 (meaning someone posted that they failed with a 56/80). 50/80 likely does not cut it.

My husband is a PE, (I took my passing attempt exactly 10 years after his). He kept saying I'd be fine, I was smarter than him, and he passed first try. But when I didn't pass my first attempt, he had to backpedal a bit. :)
So this is just my own personal conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if the tests were harder overall for the past year to encourage repeat testers... i mean NCEES must have taken a big hit by cancelling the exam last April ;) Most people that I talked to who took the exam 10+ years ago said it was mostly common sense stuff.. and the NCEES practice exam seemed consistent with that. But what I encountered on exam day was another beast. My hubs didnt have 2 young children to interfere with studying either! He only had the cats who loved to relax on his notes.

Yes I am aware the cut score varies each exam and historically was more around 56ish. Based on results I have seen posted for Oct 2020, Jan 2021 it seems to me the cut score may have been lowered in these recent few exam sessions. I suspect it may be because they have been transitioning their questions to more conceptual based (and less math/calculation based like their practice exam) in order to prepare for the computer based exam and we are somewhat of their guinea pigs. This is all my theory based on researching, so I should have clarified my questions: whats the highest failing score you have heard of on the previous 2 exam sessions (Oct 2020 and Jan 2021)

Yes I am aware the cut score varies each exam and historically was more around 56ish. Based on results I have seen posted for Oct 2020, Jan 2021 it seems to me the cut score may have been lowered in these recent few exam sessions. I suspect it may be because they have been transitioning their questions to more conceptual based (and less math/calculation based like their practice exam) in order to prepare for the computer based exam and we are somewhat of their guinea pigs. This is all my theory based on researching, so I should have clarified my questions: whats the highest failing score you have heard of on the previous 2 exam sessions (Oct 2020 and Jan 2021)
Good point! I would be curious to know this as well. The exam was heavy on the theoretical questions and I didn't think about the fact that they changed to a different format due to the upcoming conversion to CBT.

So this is just my own personal conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if the tests were harder overall for the past year to encourage repeat testers... i mean NCEES must have taken a big hit by cancelling the exam last April ;) Most people that I talked to who took the exam 10+ years ago said it was mostly common sense stuff.. and the NCEES practice exam seemed consistent with that. But what I encountered on exam day was another beast. My hubs didnt have 2 young children to interfere with studying either! He only had the cats who loved to relax on his notes.
LOL honestly have wondered that exact same thing!!! something seemed to have changed with the types of problems being so different from the practice exam since COVID started.

LOL honestly have wondered that exact same thing!!! something seemed to have changed with the types of problems being so different from the practice exam since COVID started.
Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking this... Much of the problem I had with the exam was psychological. I kept redoing calculations that I knew I had the correct answer for (because I had an almost identical example problem). NCEES really knows how to play at your self consciousness with their answer selections.

Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking this... Much of the problem I had with the exam was psychological. I kept redoing calculations that I knew I had the correct answer for (because I had an almost identical example problem). NCEES really knows how to play at your self consciousness with their answer selections.
Oh my gosh I know! I did Civil Transportation and the last 4 minutes rechecking my guess questions and saw a question I was confident on and realized I did something wrong quickly recalculated and got a new answer that was an option on the multiple choice so I changed it to that. Have no idea if I was right to do that or not lol

Back