April 2019 SE Results Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of a tangent here but are any of you that are confident you've passed this time or already have an SE license planning to be a part of SECB? I didn't even know what it was a few days ago and when I read about it I don't really know what the point is, it just seems like another membership fee for little value. I think having "SE" after you're name is already impressive, I'm not sure why SE, SECB would be any better. But I admit I know nothing about the board, so feel free to enlighten me.
No. Done after this.

A bit of a tangent here but are any of you that are confident you've passed this time or already have an SE license planning to be a part of SECB? I didn't even know what it was a few days ago and when I read about it I don't really know what the point is, it just seems like another membership fee for little value. I think having "SE" after you're name is already impressive, I'm not sure why SE, SECB would be any better. But I admit I know nothing about the board, so feel free to enlighten me.
seems pointless if you have an SE.

A lot/majority of states don't recognize the SE license so technically anyone with a PE can practice structural engineering regardless of if it's in their field of practice. Basically anyone can put an 'SE' after their name but it doesn't mean anything to prospective clients. One of the main goals of the SECB is to provide a uniform certification process so anybody in any state regardless of whether or not they recognize the SE license will know that someone has an appropriate level of education/experience to practice structural engineering. There are other goals but I took that one as the main reason behind the creation of the SECB. Other disciplines have certification programs (like specialized doctors, architects etc) and I think this was modeled after those.

I think it's still pretty new compared to other licenses which is why a lot of people haven't heard about it. I only found out about it because my previous supervisor used to be on the SECB board. I agree I don't see much value if you're in a state that recognizes the SE license to some degree but I could see value if you either live or do work in states that don't recognize it.

A lot/majority of states don't recognize the SE license so technically anyone with a PE can practice structural engineering regardless of if it's in their field of practice. Basically anyone can put an 'SE' after their name but it doesn't mean anything to prospective clients. One of the main goals of the SECB is to provide a uniform certification process so anybody in any state regardless of whether or not they recognize the SE license will know that someone has an appropriate level of education/experience to practice structural engineering. There are other goals but I took that one as the main reason behind the creation of the SECB. Other disciplines have certification programs (like specialized doctors, architects etc) and I think this was modeled after those.

I think it's still pretty new compared to other licenses which is why a lot of people haven't heard about it. I only found out about it because my previous supervisor used to be on the SECB board. I agree I don't see much value if you're in a state that recognizes the SE license to some degree but I could see value if you either live or do work in states that don't recognize it.
I don't think anyone can put 'SE' after their name just because they're a PE practicing structural engineering. If you're a PE practicing structural engineering, like myself, you should put PE after your name. But if you pass the SE and are licensed in any state that recognizes SE licensure then you can put 'SE' after your name, regardless of where you practice, as long as you don't suggest you're a licensed SE in a state that you are not. So, if you've passed the SE exam, which is basically a prerequisite of applying to SECB unless you've taken the exams awhile ago or an odd combination of exams, you would likely put 'SE' after your name on your business card and email signature, regardless of the state you actually practice in. Why does 'John Smith PE, SE, SECB' mean anything more than 'John Smith, SE' to anyone who would be hiring John or his firm? Seems like more letters behind a name to make someone feel like they've achieved something more than others with only 'SE' after their name, when in reality it just means you're paying another fee to be a part of a board that doesn't clearly define what they're doing.

If I happen to pass this exam at some point I'll gladly pay to be a part of a board or group that provides some type of service or increases my value, but the website makes it seem like you should apply so you can have the prestige of putting 'SECB' after your name, which seems a little misleading.  

I don't think anyone can put 'SE' after their name just because they're a PE practicing structural engineering. If you're a PE practicing structural engineering, like myself, you should put PE after your name. But if you pass the SE and are licensed in any state that recognizes SE licensure then you can put 'SE' after your name, regardless of where you practice, as long as you don't suggest you're a licensed SE in a state that you are not. So, if you've passed the SE exam, which is basically a prerequisite of applying to SECB unless you've taken the exams awhile ago or an odd combination of exams, you would likely put 'SE' after your name on your business card and email signature, regardless of the state you actually practice in. Why does 'John Smith PE, SE, SECB' mean anything more than 'John Smith, SE' to anyone who would be hiring John or his firm? Seems like more letters behind a name to make someone feel like they've achieved something more than others with only 'SE' after their name, when in reality it just means you're paying another fee to be a part of a board that doesn't clearly define what they're doing.

If I happen to pass this exam at some point I'll gladly pay to be a part of a board or group that provides some type of service or increases my value, but the website makes it seem like you should apply so you can have the prestige of putting 'SECB' after your name, which seems a little misleading.  
Yeah, no. I'm done after this too. I'm also putting SE after my name despite the fact GA does not recognize SE's because they deny PE licensure reciprocity to anyone practicing building design without having the new 16 hour exam (The old SE exams are grandfathered). I also may start my own organization and add SDESSE to my credentials (Super Duper Extra Special Structural Engineer) or maybe even ASS Provider (Accredited Structural Services). ASS Provider certification will definitely be an elite group of engineers held to the highest standard.

Edit: Now that I think of it, ASS Provider would go well with PMP certification (Project Management Professional). It's only a matter of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dreamed last night that I passed both Vertical and Lateral.  I was in shock but experienced such happiness.  That's unlikely to be the case when I get my actual results, but at least now I know how happy I could have been!

I dreamed last night that I passed both Vertical and Lateral.  I was in shock but experienced such happiness.  That's unlikely to be the case when I get my actual results, but at least now I know how happy I could have been!
You gotta be kidding me. I had a double dream last night. I just saw acceptable for the vertical portion on mine and didn't scroll down enough. Woke up and immediately logged in to NCEES on my phone to check my results and to my happiness saw that I had indeed passed it!

But then my alarm for 5:30 went off and I was back to wandering in this forum.😥

You gotta be kidding me. I had a double dream last night. I just saw acceptable for the vertical portion on mine and didn't scroll down enough. Woke up and immediately logged in to NCEES on my phone to check my results and to my happiness saw that I had indeed passed it!

You dreamed that you dreamed you had a passing result? And then in your first level dream, you woke up? Who gave NCEES the technology from Inception?

But what if you're still sleeping

Another day goes by.  Hoping it does not become 'Another Summer Goes by'. Life has been on hold because of this dang thing for the past two years. 😞

God bless our souls. It is been tough hang in there ladies and gents. We should have them very soon (day or two). I have this beautiful feeling......

Back