April 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when I first saw this thread for October 18. I was like boy the wait does suck and it only had been few days. Though this was nothing compared to how my feelings got manipulated here during the results week lol

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly is the purpose of the survey? is this our opportunity to complain about errors/discrepancies on the test?

I took WRE for the third time. AM was definitely as others described it; par for the course. Nothing TOO crazy in there, I think. PM was more difficult. Someone above mentioned they utilized School of PE and felt insufficiently prepared for the PM; I absolutely agree. I used School of PE also and, although they did great at prepping me for the AM, the WRE PM section NEEDS WORK. 

I found a lot of old NCEES practice exams and utilized practice problems from other sources to prepare, and it was MUCH better this time around. I also take some comfort in the other repeat test takers out here...Misery loves company :)  I'm sure everyone will do just fine! Welcome to the suck 1st timers! 

Was just having a conversation with a co-worker about recieving the exam results and he shared his theory on when we would receive the results.  He stated that he took the test three times and is fairly confident in his theory.

His theory is that exam results will be released 1-2 days after NCEES has concluded all of their internal exam review meetings. 

Just went to the NCEES website and their last review meeting is scheduled for June 1st.  If his theory is true that would mean results will be released Monday June 3rd.

He was surprised the last review meeting was scheduled so late.  Hope his theory does not hold true.

Just went to the NCEES website and their last review meeting is scheduled for June 1st.  If his theory is true that would mean results will be released Monday June 3rd.
That's a routine meeting. Exams committees hold those all the time. Nothing to worry about.

It's the "cut score" or "exam standard setting" meetings that delay things. There weren't any new (pencil and paper) exams this session so there wouldn't be a need to hold "cut score" meetings.

I would expect most states to release by June 1st. Pennsylvania being the obvious exception.

A higher cut score is indicative of an easier exam.

Measuring relative exam difficulty amongst examinees isn't easily quantifiable.

Previous april exams released after 34-upper-forty days. Interpret that however you will. But do consider if May 6-10 fits in the historic range.

@knight1fox3
Man, you give some really good feedback. Congrats... You just made my list of top-100 people on planet Earth.

Thanks.

Right? I mean I was forcing myself to eat lunch and breakfast I was so nervous. How can you eat all throughout both sessions AND a lunch?
Oh man!!! I had the same exact thing!!! Plus we had an exam NAZI running things, which didn't help.

What i dont understand is why is it a crime to share test questions if every exam is different. Why would it even matter?

That's a routine meeting. Exams committees hold those all the time. Nothing to worry about.

It's the "cut score" or "exam standard setting" meetings that delay things. There weren't any new (pencil and paper) exams this session so there wouldn't be a need to hold "cut score" meetings.

I would expect most states to release by June 1st. Pennsylvania being the obvious exception.
Could you explain a little further on "There weren't any new (pencil and paper) exams this session"? 

I'm not following. 

Intellectual property.They reuse problems
If they reuse problems then it would be in a test takers best interest to know whats on the exam. Im not talking about distributing copies of the exam but telling ppl exam problems shouldnt be an issue. If i knew what I know now about the exam, i could have gotten even more questions right.

Could you explain a little further on "There weren't any new (pencil and paper) exams this session"? 

I'm not following. 
For April 2018, they redid the Power PE. It was leagues above what was offered in April 2017. The topics covered and problem distributions were different. Because of that, it took longer to release scores since they were re-establishing a baseline. New versions of the codes (NEC, NESC, NFPA 70E) were used as well

He's stating that there were no significant changes to the tests for April 2019 so they have their baselines already and scoring would be faster/smoother than in April 2018. 

If they reuse problems then it would be in a test takers best interest to know whats on the exam. Im not talking about distributing copies of the exam but telling ppl exam problems should be an issue. If i knew what I know now about the exam, i could have gotten even more questions right.
That's the point, the test is supposed to be equally challenging for everyone.

For April 2018, they redid the Power PE. It was leagues above what was offered in April 2017. The topics covered and problem distributions were different. Because of that, it took longer to release scores since they were re-establishing a baseline. New versions of the codes (NEC, NESC, NFPA 70E) were used as well

He's stating that there were no significant changes to the tests for April 2019 so they have their baselines already and scoring would be faster/smoother than in April 2018. 
aahh makes more sense now, thanks for the clarification. So I'm guessing their baseline is going to be something similar to October 2018?  This is my second time taking the mech-hvac PE test, 1st time was Oct 2018. In October the raw cut scores based on what everyone was posting was a 51/80, do you think this April's cut score will be very similar to that? 

i missed the cut score by 3 and feel better about it this time around, so hoping to be just above the curve lol

I took WRE for the third time. AM was definitely as others described it; par for the course. Nothing TOO crazy in there, I think. PM was more difficult. Someone above mentioned they utilized School of PE and felt insufficiently prepared for the PM; I absolutely agree. I used School of PE also and, although they did great at prepping me for the AM, the WRE PM section NEEDS WORK. 

I found a lot of old NCEES practice exams and utilized practice problems from other sources to prepare, and it was MUCH better this time around. I also take some comfort in the other repeat test takers out here...Misery loves company :)  I'm sure everyone will do just fine! Welcome to the suck 1st timers! 
100% Agree on School of PE!

Back