April 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father took the FE and PE on back to back days in '93 and passed PE and failed FE.
My husband's boss sat for the PE on a Friday and sat for the FE the very next day. I think he passed the FE but not the PE. I would assume if things happened in reverse (pass the PE but not the FE) that your state wouldn't give you a license until you pass the PE. Not really sure though.

And this was about 7 years ago so who know if that's even allowed anymore. 

you guys as i have been through the sa
Hi all,

To get you out of the pressure. Here is my case:

I applied for licence through endorsement. The board denied and requested me to take both FE and PE exams. I am in the same boat waiting for the April results. But I called the board yesterday and they said you have to provide us with the 4-year experience. Can the board approve someone to take the exam and then ask for the experience. What are your thoughts. 

Hi all,

I applied for licence through endorsement. The board denied and requested me to take both FE and PE exams. I am in the same boat waiting for the April results. But I called the board yesterday and they said you have to provide us with the 4-year experience. Can the board approve someone to take the exam and then ask for the experience. What are your thoughts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband's boss sat for the PE on a Friday and sat for the FE the very next day. I think he passed the FE but not the PE. I would assume if things happened in reverse (pass the PE but not the FE) that your state wouldn't give you a license until you pass the PE. Not really sure though.

And this was about 7 years ago so who know if that's even allowed anymore. 
You mean until you pass the PE*. Yes, my father had to eventually pass the FE in order to be licensed. 7 years ago seems too recent for something like that to be allowed. I guess there are loopholes I'm unaware of.

Some of my co-workers are very competent but don't attempt licensure because they'd have to study FE stuff for which they have no time.
One of my coworkers is trying to avoid licensure since she doesn't want to seal anything and because what she does doesn't align with her degree but the test that moreso aligns with her job has a whole lot of stuff she'd had to learn just for the test. But our company expects licensure so idk what she's gonna do 

Hi all,

Hmmm...I know that you can pass the exam but not get licensed until you document your experience. But it depends on the state. NY doesn't allow that. Experience must be approved by the state prior to sitting for exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Yes, depends on the state. A few states have decoupled the experience requirement from the exams. It's sorta/kinda moving in that direction nationwide. But since many states have the requirements hard-written into law; and some SMEs are just hard opposed to the idea, it may take a while before it's adopted across all 55 jurisdictions.

One of my coworkers is trying to avoid licensure since she doesn't want to seal anything and because what she does doesn't align with her degree but the test that moreso aligns with her job has a whole lot of stuff she'd had to learn just for the test. But our company expects licensure so idk what she's gonna do 
If she has an engineering degree she can take the test in that discipline. As far as I'm aware discipline doesn't matter as long as you're licensed. I know some structural guys who took the test in traffic depth simply because it's easier.

Will it does say as part of the application that you should document the experience. Also, NCEES says: The Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam tests for a minimum level of competency in a particular engineering discipline. It is designed for engineers who have gained a minimum of four years’ post-college work experience in their chosen engineering discipline.

Also, the experience was provided when I applied and they didn't question it at that time. 

Yes, depends on the state. A few states have decoupled the experience requirement from the exams. It's sorta/kinda moving in that direction nationwide. But since many states have the requirements hard-written into law; and some SMEs are just hard opposed to the idea, it may take a while before it's adopted across all 55 jurisdictions.
Once that happens I predict they're going to increase licensing requirements for work in certain fields to maintain competency criteria. For example, I eventually see them requiring an SE license for structural design work.

Since we are all waiting for the April results, has anyone tried to login to MyNCEES and attempted to register for a PE Exam (Especially the year round 4 CBT disciplines), but found it unavailable now? Or all like me still have them available?

0041A997-D576-4B9D-92F3-EF4700E9563C.png

Since we are all waiting for the April results, has anyone tried to login to MyNCEES and attempted to register for a PE Exam (Especially the year round 4 CBT disciplines), but found it unavailable now? Or all like me still have them available?

View attachment 12995
Mine's been like that for weeks. And because I took the FE pre-MyNCEES, I can also register for the CBT FE.

If she has an engineering degree she can take the test in that discipline. As far as I'm aware discipline doesn't matter as long as you're licensed. I know some structural guys who took the test in traffic depth simply because it's easier.
It depends on the state, but most do not require the candidate to test in the same discipline as their degree(s).

There are 11 jurisdictions that license based on discipline, and limit stamping to work related to that discipline.

Also, the experience was provided when I applied and they didn't question it at that time. 
Contact the board and ask them to state exactly what they need. It may be a missing form, missing reference, or just a snafu on their end.

Once that happens I predict they're going to increase licensing requirements for work in certain fields to maintain competency criteria. For example, I eventually see them requiring an SE license for structural design work.
You would still need the experience, but you could take the exam before you get all of the requisite experience. Many states already require SE to do certain structural work.

No matter which test she takes, she'll be learning A LOT for the test. She hasn't really used the knowledge from her degree (mechanical engineering) since she left school. So she's going to avoid it as long as possible I think and I don't blame her 

Taking the PE after 8 years of work experience helped me because structural is very heavy on codes and means and methods. But of course, we still need to wait and see the actual results...

Back