April 2008 PE Results, Florida

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations to Florida's new PE's and EIT's !!! :multiplespotting:

For those that didn't pass, hang in there; your time will come.

I was out in the field today and almost didn't make it back in time to call. But I did, and I did..... pass! Congrats to all who passed!
Congrats. I told you to take a deep breath!

Now, tell that boss of yours ......... that you passed <_<

Question for Roy T.,
When you decided to take civil/struct. vs. struct 1 what did you need to study as far as the civil end? Was it just the civile engineering reference manual or was there other books? All my work experience is with structures so having to study for anything else is quess work. Can you tell me what you used for study material? Much appreciated?

I'm not to sure if it too late for me to change to a different exam or if I should stick with STR1? I can't even think about it right now. I'm both pissed off and mad at myself!
The morning part of the civil exam is straightforward. They way i studied is i got the sample exam from NCEES and worked through both morning and most of the afternoon problems from each of the sections. The only other reference i used for the general civil part is the civil engineering reference manual (CERM). that worked for me.

The afternoon structural part is similar but not quite as ruthless as structural 1 - not easy but doable. It was still very code based so your efforts so far are not in vain.

i can understand your frustration and it was a very very difficult choice for me to take the civil exam after failing the struct 1 exam last fall. after signing up for the civil exam this time i almost changed my mind at the last minute to try struct. 1 again but resisted the temptation.

honestly, i think you will find the civil exam to be very passable - not "easy" but passable. much more so than struct. 1.

The morning part of the civil exam is straightforward. They way i studied is i got the sample exam from NCEES and worked through both morning and most of the afternoon problems from each of the sections. The only other reference i used for the general civil part is the civil engineering reference manual (CERM). that worked for me.
The afternoon structural part is similar but not quite as ruthless as structural 1 - not easy but doable. It was still very code based so your efforts so far are not in vain.

i can understand your frustration and it was a very very difficult choice for me to take the civil exam after failing the struct 1 exam last fall. after signing up for the civil exam this time i almost changed my mind at the last minute to try struct. 1 again but resisted the temptation.

honestly, i think you will find the civil exam to be very passable - not "easy" but passable. much more so than struct. 1.
That's what i am going thru right now. The dilemma of taking the struct. 1 again or trying the civil/struct. I can't be wrong this time, it's my last chance! I may just try the civil/struct. and give it a go.

I wouldn't feel so bad if I had thought I didn't prepare enough. I studied a good three and a half months solid from January to April. I basically had no life and up until two weeks before the exam was sleep deprived. I studied 250+ hrs. I felt very confident not overly confident. It just seems that everything I had prepared for was either not on the exam or the question required one step further than anticipated. I just hate that the test is not a true gage of your abilities rather if you can figure out how there are trying to trick you. Whatever, just ranting a bit.

So basically you used the NCEES white booklet (sample exam) and the CERM for the morning session and all of your other structural codes. Is there any bridge questions in the afternoon? Or is it all buildings/structures?

Thanks.

If you are still in doubt at all, listen to Roy T. first time pass rates (for the most recent exam posted on ncees website) for civil 64% repeat takers 29%, for struct I, 46% and 26% respectively. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Now yes, the "civil" includes all 5 specialties......so maybe the other "easier" topics bring up the average..........guard from that thinking, it's just not true, i actually received my degree in structural engineering and even worked a year in bridge design before going over to construction and then roadway design.......i have a lot of friends that took the civil-structural and many who took the civil tranportation......EVERYONE of them passed first time with the afternoon structural one and most took the transportation at least 2 times...........these are all people i went to school with and are of comparable intelligence, simply chose different specialties. My opinion being that structures by iteself is yes more technically challenging, but the shear volume of chit on the trans side more than makes up for that...........

anyway........long story short, do civil-struct........i bet you could pass with the studing you have already done.

I pass (second timer, Power)...

I got my results last Monday, but since I am out of Miami (Puerto Rico), I did not have time until now to let you know the good news...

Thanks to you all, and to those who failed, never give up!!!

Thanks.

RC.

I pass (second timer, Power)...
I got my results last Monday, but since I am out of Miami (Puerto Rico), I did not have time until now to let you know the good news...

Thanks to you all, and to those who failed, never give up!!!

Thanks.

RC.
AWESOME!!!!!

:multiplespotting: Congratulations RC :multiplespotting:

random question, don't want to start a new thread:
how soon can i change my email signature and business card to reflect 'PE' instead of 'EI'? should i wait to be assigned a license number or am i good to go now that i have received the pass letter?
Does anyone know the answer to this? I would like to know as well.

^^^That question comes all the time after the results are released. Morally, and really, you are a P.E. now since you passed the test(BTW....Congrats :multiplespotting: ) Now, before starting to sign e-mails and letters with the P.E. at the end you would have to wait until your license number is assigned. That is the law in many states.

In my opinion, for what it may worth, you waited all these years and all these waiting time to get the results so a few more weeks are not going to hurt you. You are a P.E. and that is the bottom line. Just take it easy.

Ahhh....there is no problem with ordering the cards now. :bio:

It was my 2nd attempt at the Struct 1. I felt worse coming out of the exam the 2nd time compared to my 1st attempt (i was 4 questions from passing!).
There was a reason I felt worse, I didn't pass. I guess I'll be taking the Civil/Struct next time.
Hey I know you! :mellow:

Sorry about the exam; let me know when you're going to start studying, you can get all the water notes from Maxie, and I'll get whatever other ones I have at home or the office.

Now I'm getting ready for the S-2 :p10940623: so that You-Know-Who will give me a brand new Porsche as a bonus if I pass:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are still in doubt at all, listen to Roy T. first time pass rates (for the most recent exam posted on ncees website) for civil 64% repeat takers 29%, for struct I, 46% and 26% respectively. Seems pretty clear cut to me.
Now yes, the "civil" includes all 5 specialties......so maybe the other "easier" topics bring up the average..........guard from that thinking, it's just not true, i actually received my degree in structural engineering and even worked a year in bridge design before going over to construction and then roadway design.......i have a lot of friends that took the civil-structural and many who took the civil tranportation......EVERYONE of them passed first time with the afternoon structural one and most took the transportation at least 2 times...........these are all people i went to school with and are of comparable intelligence, simply chose different specialties. My opinion being that structures by iteself is yes more technically challenging, but the shear volume of chit on the trans side more than makes up for that...........

anyway........long story short, do civil-struct........i bet you could pass with the studing you have already done.
AGREED! I've worked in only Structural (only time I did an Open Channel was during Dr. Chin's 8-in-the-morning CAE430 class at the University of Miami :eyebrows: ) and "had trouble" the first two times I took Struct-1. My opinion is it seems weighted towards bridge design. I took the Civil-Struct. last October, the Structural (afternoon) part was straightforward. As far as preparing for the morning (Civil stuff), go through the problems in the CERM, and go thru everyone one of the review problems. A prep course doesn't hurt, either.

Since the structural depth also has geotech, I'd reccomend using the Six-Minute solutions for both Structural and Geotech, going even thru the depth problems.

Anyway, I'm starting to prepare for the S-2 for October. I feel better about than the S-1, because it lets you choose betwen Building and Bridge problems.

Anybody take the PE Exam in Miami this April 2008,

At the James L Knight Center?

We should let the Board know about the band practicing

during the exam. I feel pretty bad for those that

didn't pass in Miami. It was extremely loud at times.

Totally unprofessional!

Anybody take the PE Exam in Miami this April 2008,At the James L Knight Center?

We should let the Board know about the band practicing

during the exam. I feel pretty bad for those that

didn't pass in Miami. It was extremely loud at times.

Totally unprofessional!
I didn't, thank goodness, but I know someone who did, and I also know someone who did 10 years ago. They even proved to the state the the scores in Miami were lower than those in the rest of the state (the one who took it 10 years ago). State said "oh well".

I recieved my pass notification June 9 by email from NCEES.

I was told it takes 6 weeks for Florida to issue a license #.

I recieved my pass notification June 9 by email from NCEES.
I was told it takes 6 weeks for Florida to issue a license #.
I got my pass notification June 10th, however, it still hasn't posted to the myflorida.com exam results. Anyone else noticing that (I hope they don't have me mixed up or something, because it also says I tested in Kissimee, which I didn't)

For those who you who may be wondering - I contacted the florida board today and they claim they STILL HAVE NOT received results from ELSES. I then contacted ELSES and they claimed to have sent the result to the florida board when we received our results (almost 3 weeks ago).

Obviously, there is/was a problem here. I then informed ELSES that the Board claimes not to have recevied the results and they said that was a problem and that they would contact the Board to see what the situation is.

Hopefully this will get resolved soon and P.E. License numbers can soon be issued to passing members.

I was also told, by the Board, that it would take 8-12 weeks AFTER received results before certificates and pocket cards will be issued in the mail.

So, if you passed the test in April, sometime before you retire you should officially be a licensed professional engineer in florida - but then again, maybe not.

For those who you who may be wondering - I contacted the florida board today and they claim they STILL HAVE NOT received results from ELSES. I then contacted ELSES and they claimed to have sent the result to the florida board when we received our results (almost 3 weeks ago).
Obviously, there is/was a problem here. I then informed ELSES that the Board claimes not to have recevied the results and they said that was a problem and that they would contact the Board to see what the situation is.

Hopefully this will get resolved soon and P.E. License numbers can soon be issued to passing members.

I was also told, by the Board, that it would take 8-12 weeks AFTER received results before certificates and pocket cards will be issued in the mail.

So, if you passed the test in April, sometime before you retire you should officially be a licensed professional engineer in florida - but then again, maybe not.
Thanks for the update, Roy. I can't believe they did not take any actions to find out why they have not got the results.

Latest posts

Back