Anyone fail MD depth, then took TFS depth?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you guys on MERM problems, they do take a lot if time to work. Let me tell you my delimma with it, though.

The first time I took the exam, I only used MERM and the associated practice problems to study. I only got a few chapters done before test time, due to my father having major health problems and having to travel and take care of him during a portion of time. But I did exceptionally well on those areas of the exam (100%, 90's%). My scaled score was a 61, I bombed all other sections of the exam. I knew I would fail it.

This past time I focused on sample exams: all three 6MS (only afternoon portion of MD book), both 2001/2008 NCEES sample exams, and Carlos Chapek exam. I worked them and worked them, and felt like I had prepared well. I actually felt good about the exam. I knew I didn't nail it, but really felt like I would pass. I did worse this time, with a scaled score if 55, and this has stumped me.

Feeling lost, so I'm almost positive I'm going to sign up for Dr Tom's Classroom this week, and will definitely take TFS this Oct.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took School of PE as well and it literally helped me pass. I believe I answered all but one problem correctly in the AM, though the PM (M&M) was a different animal. As others may have mentioned, all of the online classes, the way its outlined, you will ace the morning. On exam day I talked to some fellow ME's who took the PPI course ( they used the Lindeburg Practice Problems, and Sample Exam)

Some key tips from the instructors( most were good):

Machine Design (if you decide to take this portion again): Schaum's Outline, Shigley & Mischke Machine Design, Dynamics (your college book).

T&F: Know all of these sections in the MERM well., Crane's. Know how use the Appendix. Instructors claim that all you need is the MERM, conversions book.

HVAC: Will have to know this as well since its somewhat relevant to T&F. Note: The 13ed. of the MERM is more thorough than the 12th (non- existent). 13th has ASHRAE codes, etc. Instructors claim that all you need is the MERM, conversions book.

Proj. Mgmt, Statistics/ Probability, Economics:

I chose the MD since its relevant to my career (Aerospace), but also considered the T&F, since it was the claimed to be the easiest of the 3 (Though I think all 3 are hard).

SMott it may be an issue of what type of prep is best for you as well as the material on the exam at that time. I have three friends who all took the TF and passed the first time. 2 out of the three worked NCEES sample exams and the SMS (one took it and passed this April), using the MERM as a reference and passed the first time. The third basically did what I'm aiming to do - work SMS, NCEES and the MERM problems, and he also passed on his first try.

I've worked the SMS and also the Lindeburg practice exam and I haven't used Crane's Technical Manual at any point. The Appendix in the MERM covers pretty much everything that you would use Crane for but that's just my opinion.

Thanks guys! I'm definitely doing the TFS this time around. And since I've been out of college for 10 years, I'm going to take a review course.

I'm pretty set on taking Dr. Tom's online only version. He does a 20 week course and guides you on how/what/when to study. Seems like people have had good success, and he teaches to the breadth as well as depth.

Back