Any Update on the Results???????????

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only Texas tells you your score if you pass. 49/50 states +DC just give you the "Pass" and that's all. The only way to try to find the cut score is from those who failed.
Well that makes things more complicated.  Thanks for letting me know Ellen!

I think 47 is one of the highest scores I've seen that did not pass.  You're very close.  I was 43/80, with very balanced % in categories (50,63,67,44,43,63,63,64,31 top to bottom) except protection which was 31%.
From what I have read on the way they grade/ curve I am curious if I didnt pass because I was not as balanced.  I was 75, 63, 83, 67, 71, 50, 25, 45, 54.  I really tapered off  on the last four topics.  Its just frustrating because this was my third time and I actually felt really good about the test.  I must have fallen for their tricks.

From what I have read on the way they grade/ curve I am curious if I didnt pass because I was not as balanced.  I was 75, 63, 83, 67, 71, 50, 25, 45, 54.  I really tapered off  on the last four topics.  Its just frustrating because this was my third time and I actually felt really good about the test.  I must have fallen for their tricks.
Those are some pretty high percentages.  You must have been very close to passing.  Don't give up!

Not sure if I can devote yet more time on top of what I did this time...it was extremely stressful having my husband take on so much. I have to decide if I will do it again.
I'm in the same boat. My husband has a pretty demanding job but he stepped up and took over for me while I was locked away studying. I missed so many activities/experiences with my kiddo, I'm just not sure I can dedicate the time for a another go at this test. She's only 3 and I don't want to miss out on any more. My job doesn't require us to get our PE. In fact some of our best engineers don't have their PE and say they are not going to get their PE. For me it was just a goal of my own. I have to decide if it's worth it.

I'm in the same boat. My husband has a pretty demanding job but he stepped up and took over for me while I was locked away studying. I missed so many activities/experiences with my kiddo, I'm just not sure I can dedicate the time for a another go at this test. She's only 3 and I don't want to miss out on any more. My job doesn't require us to get our PE. In fact some of our best engineers don't have their PE and say they are not going to get their PE. For me it was just a goal of my own. I have to decide if it's worth it.
PE exam is hit or miss mostly. IMO you shouldn't give up. You already have experience and preparation for this exam. Just keep practicing and focus on week areas.

I understand completely.  If I was in your shoes I might seriously re-consider not taking it.  I have a 1-1/2 year old.  My wife is a stay at home mom and I make more than enough to support all of us, but getting my PE would obviously get me more.  My company isn't requiring me to get it, but they are very supportive and if I do I will have the only PE.  In fact I'm one of only 2 designers and we have to pay another firm to get drawings stamped, so this will be a huge boost.  I'm definitely going to take it again.  

I studied during my child's naps on weekends and at night after he went to bed.  I feel like a lot of the material is fresh in my mind and my score was 43/80 so I should be able to build enough on that to get a passing score this time.

I'm wondering, for those who took it more than once, how different were the exams?  I'm assuming the actual questions were completely different, but was the difficulty/content similar?  From reading various posts, it appears protection gave people the most trouble.  I'm just wondering how best to approach my second go-around.

I think 47 is one of the highest scores I've seen that did not pass.  You're very close.  I was 43/80, with very balanced % in categories (50,63,67,44,43,63,63,64,31 top to bottom) except protection which was 31%.
That's what I got. I kind of figured I was very close after taking the exam. It's just that most of the protection questions threw me off. If I had gotten those and a few transmission type problems I probably would have passed. The stuff that I had adequate references on and studied a lot clearly showed in my diagnostic. I scored way higher in those categories than people that have passed. So it makes me happy that I'm not incompetent. Just that I didn't have time and the resources to go into the nitty gritty of these subjects.

Lurker here, just wanted to say congrats to those that passed and to everyone that didn't pass - hang in there.  It will be that much more sweet when you finally make it.  I just found out this morning I passed PE Power on my first attempt but I was a nervous wreck.  I feel like I have a leg up because I do power system protection for a living; however, I even found a few of the protection problems pretty damn tough and I know of one I missed (granted, power system modeling has probably made engineers like me lazy on this front).  The general questions I know I missed were questions that there's no way I would have studied (having a butt load of reference books that align with exam specs helps tackle some of these) so I'm not sure how I would have changed study habits if results were different. 

I didn't take any prep courses but if I have any advice generally, it's to do AS MANY practice problems as you can afford/manage (I think I did 4-5) and master your understanding of each one.  This will increase your odds of seeing something similar and this really helps with navigating your NEC/NESC/NFPA 70E books which is becoming the biggest topic on the exam along with protection.  Arc-flash/NFPA 70E stuff in particular is not going away.  On the relaying side, there's so many routes that the questions can go that I'm not sure practice exams will be AS useful, but reading Blackburn is about as good as you can do without a formal college course or 2 on power system protection.  Know the per-unit system like the back of your hand and have a go-to equation sheet/book (I used Graffeo's equation section towards the back of the book as well as one that I made). 

Now - time for a celebratory White Russian or 3 or 4!       

That 25 killed it basically. What was it?
Rotating Machines and Electric Power Devices: Electric Power Devices.  Which I dont feel is necessarily my weak spot but only getting 2 out of 8 says otherwise.  I must have made careless mistakes or didnt read things through.  

I saw some 47s and 48s.  You probably missed by less than 5 questions; depending on the curve.  The guys a little bit lower, you have some work to do.

If you didn't get 10-12 out of 12 in the codes and standards.  Those are easy #s to make up.  You absolutely need to be in that range.  Theyre the easiest on the exam and you don't need to know much about the topic to get them right.

I understand completely.  If I was in your shoes I might seriously re-consider not taking it.  I have a 1-1/2 year old.  My wife is a stay at home mom and I make more than enough to support all of us, but getting my PE would obviously get me more.  My company isn't requiring me to get it, but they are very supportive and if I do I will have the only PE.  In fact I'm one of only 2 designers and we have to pay another firm to get drawings stamped, so this will be a huge boost.  I'm definitely going to take it again.  

I studied during my child's naps on weekends and at night after he went to bed.  I feel like a lot of the material is fresh in my mind and my score was 43/80 so I should be able to build enough on that to get a passing score this time.

I'm wondering, for those who took it more than once, how different were the exams?  I'm assuming the actual questions were completely different, but was the difficulty/content similar?  From reading various posts, it appears protection gave people the most trouble.  I'm just wondering how best to approach my second go-around.
So October 2018 was my third time.  I took it in April 2017 and April 2018 before.  The format between April 2017 and April 2018 changed.  Also the new NEC 2017 came out.  I took a testmasters prep course for the April 2017 test.  I BOMBED the test... I really focused on watching the online classes and reading study material and didnt work out problems (I had NO IDEA what to expect on the test).  From what I remember the problems appeared easy but I only completed half the test because it took me like 15 minutes a problem.   So the easy appearance was probably not reality because we all know they make the easy problems difficult.  I retook the test in April 2018 and got a 42/80.  I actually finished this test but was really upset because about 20% of the test were on topics I have never heard of.  I wrote these items down after the test and printed out information to bring in for the October 2018 test (Things like Q-Factor, Reliability, Weird NEC questions).  Unfortunately, only Q-Factor helped me for the 2018 October Test.  I feel like the October 2018 test had more Per Unit type of problems, more protection, and more battery problems then the other two I took.  I also feel the NEC problems were easier than the 2018 April Test.  

My Study Material (Outside of all the code books)

Test 1: Testmaster books (Two books)

Test 2: Testmaster books, Complex Imaginary book, Engineering Pro Guides, NCEES practice book

Test 3: Testmaster books, Complex Imaginary book, Engineering Pro Guides, NCEES practice book, Graffeo's EE Guide to Pass

Honestly, I feel like the study material I have is great and I felt great after taking the 3rd test.  I just need to figure out where I am making my mistakes.  Ill probably be adding information on protection and batteries to my binder when I retake it for the 4th time in April 2019.  I am open to other material out there if anyone has any other recommendations.  Im definitely interested in more practice tests.  From the list above I have around 7 or 8 practice tests.

Texas tester. Failed. My percentages in order of Diagnostic Breakdown: (75, 100, 67, 33, 71, 88, 63, 36 and 23). 36 and 23 were for Transmission and Distribution Power System Analysis and Protection. Definitely need to focus on those areas. Overall 46/80

Texas tester. Failed. My percentages in order of Diagnostic Breakdown: (75, 100, 67, 33, 71, 88, 63, 36 and 23). 36 and 23 were for Transmission and Distribution Power System Analysis and Protection. Definitely need to focus on those areas. Overall 46/80
Sounds similar to me. I have to focus on those areas too. If I hadn't bombed on those areas and the electronics then I would have passed for sure. Some of those questions in these categories were really out there.

Texas here. 2nd attempt. Failed with a 48/80. Feel bummed at the moment. 

I utilized NCEES practice exam, Zachs course, Eng pro guides and was really doing well on all the practice exams and homework averaging the 80's. I did not feel that this exam was reflective of my knowledge base and substantially increased in difficulty from Oct 17 Exam. I received the exact same score in Oct 17 but I know that my knowledge base has substantially improved. 

I will have to find a way to improve moving forward. The problem is that I honestly don't know what to do different or how to improve. A chunk of the exam questions seemed so out of left field, the study materials will not prep you for them. 

Here's to things improving moving forward. 

Aww my little guy is 3 years old too:) It was difficult when he would come into my office and say Mama, lets go play, come on Mama...i would play with him a little and come back but would be up late after everyone went to sleep. I was only able to get 2.5 practice exams done...engineering pro guide, ncees and part of the graffeo exam.

It isn't necessary at my job for me to have but I have two engineers reporting to me and I know eventually it will be expected of me. Its a goal as well for me...I got the FE in 2002 5 months after graduating bc at the time I didn't realize I could take it while in school. I kept putting off taking PE exam and the years flew by. I had to reteach myself everything I forgot but because it takes so long to get approval to sit for exam it ate into time I had. Also there was material I never learned but I didnt better than I thought I would. I really want to try again but the time needed is the problem. 

Back