AM portion was apparently too easy...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, man. That was a trick to make you think it's a trick. It really wasn't a trick. And it wasn't zero.
Aha! But what it truly was is a trick designed for people that think that trick problems were just tricks to keep people thinking that there would be trick problems!

I'm pretty sure I got that one, but I was livid that it was on the test. Because, I mean, really? Is that something that we REALLY, TRULY need to know as a professional engineer?
You got a point there. Once I realized that questions like that one could be anywhere else in the test, I hope I didn't overthink or overcomplicate other simple questions as well  :huh:

You got a point there. Once I realized that questions like that one could be anywhere else in the test, I hope I didn't overthink or overcomplicate other simple questions as well  :huh:
Time to let it go. 

There were two questions where I went back and realized I made a silly mistake. I'm glad I went back and double checked.

I wish i knew which question you all were talking about... what subject was it? (geotech, hydro, transpo, etc?)

I wish i knew which question you all were talking about... what subject was it? (geotech, hydro, transpo, etc?)
Question: How much force does a zero force member have?

Plz don't hammer me, NCEES.

(just kidding, btw)

I had that question too, it was "How many times has the United States of America lost a World War?"

Possible Answers

a) Zero

b) Because America

c) Just wait until just after the 2016 election

d) I'm going to punch you in the ovaries

I still don't know the right answer. How was this even related to engineering?

I'm curious... Do they shuffle the questions around from booklet to booklet or do they sneak in different questions altogether? 

There were two questions where I went back and realized I made a silly mistake. I'm glad I went back and double checked.
Yeah, I tried not to check my work too many times, but on one problem, I found I had found the correct answer but filled in the wrong bubble! That was scary and made me super paranoid. I'm over it now, sort of.

Yeah, I tried not to check my work too many times, but on one problem, I found I had found the correct answer but filled in the wrong bubble! That was scary and made me super paranoid. I'm over it now, sort of.
For both tests, I did a first run through without bubbling, then went back over a second time and started bubbling. If I made it through the whole test the second time, I would make a third run through to make sure I didn't make any silly errors. This worked really well for me on the AM portion, as I went through 3 times and felt I had ample time to correct myself from being an idiot.

However, on the PM test, I didn't really get through the test the second time around. So I didn't really have that "solid" check of a third pass that I wanted. Lo! and behold, with about 2 minutes left, I discovered that I had left Question 2 unmarked! I very nearly lept out of my seat, and I immediately went through the rest of the test to make absolutely sure that I hadn't skipped a line and marked one question ahead on the "scantron" sheet.

I didn't, thank God. But I did unlock an achievement: "Nightmares. Realized."

I think everyone can relate to making those kinds of mistakes on these types of tests. I tend to not bubble or mark in any way questions I am not sure about. So on the afternoon session I skipped a question and then bubbled in the next questions answer in its place. Luckily I found it just 4 questions later but it was a little nerve wracking and annoying to make a mistake like that. 

Even when I skipped a question, I made a random guess and filled in the bubble just to prevent a slip-up by filling in the wrong one on the next question.  

Did this for three questions on the exam, surprising thing was when I came back to them..my worked answers matched my guesses for two out of the three.   I hope that is a good sign.

For both tests, I did a first run through without bubbling, then went back over a second time and started bubbling. If I made it through the whole test the second time, I would make a third run through to make sure I didn't make any silly errors. This worked really well for me on the AM portion, as I went through 3 times and felt I had ample time to correct myself from being an idiot.

However, on the PM test, I didn't really get through the test the second time around. So I didn't really have that "solid" check of a third pass that I wanted. Lo! and behold, with about 2 minutes left, I discovered that I had left Question 2 unmarked! I very nearly lept out of my seat, and I immediately went through the rest of the test to make absolutely sure that I hadn't skipped a line and marked one question ahead on the "scantron" sheet.

I didn't, thank God. But I did unlock an achievement: "Nightmares. Realized."
I don't know if it was a movie or something I read online, but I remember it was about someone who knew the answer to every question but then ran out of time filling in the bubbles.  

Glad you caught your mistake.  Just wait till you start having dreams about this stuff. I took mine four years ago and from time to time I still have nightmares about going into the exam without having studied.

edit: I just remembered the story, and it was real life!  It was one of my old coworkers taking the EIT exam.  I can't even imagine...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back