2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In mid January I went out and loaded up on 9mm, and grabbed several  boxes of buckshot that happened to be available - we have a local store called https://www.jaxgoods.com/  its sort of like an REI / Gun Store / Army Navy Store / Hardware Store, Ranching / etc -  I have been going there in lui of Home Depot since I can get stuff like Cat Food and ammo in one trip..

But I think people "stock up " the closer you get to the "state shutdown order" cause that when our stores cleaned out of stuff like guns and ammo - glad I made some rounds in January-  I looked at getting something "fun" that shoots a 5.56 mm but decided against it :(  

Yea, but wouldn't those be too fatty?
Perfect for crockpot cooking?  Fat on top so it melts through while cooking.

Is this not a thing?  It's def a thing.

Also, covid-19 related: got my mask today (sewn one).  I'm just trying not to go into the hospital if I don't have to.

My friend's mom made her a bunch of masks from a dusty rose velour party dress. My friend mailed me some.. At some point they'll be here.

I wore a buff when we went to Home Depot on Saturday but with hair & glasses, it doesn't work well for me. 

I would recommend a Sig P365 as a carry gun.  Very compact with a high magazine capacity.
There was something about the ergonomics of the Sig I wasn't a huge fan of.  I guess after so many years of match shooting with olympic-style rifles, I'm just super picky about grips.  I actually preferred the feel of the 320X better than the 365.  I like the more upright 1911-ish grips, and I'm really picky about where the pad of the thumb sits since I have short, wide hands.  I like the CZ a lot, and the Walther trigger is top notch, and has interchangeable backstraps, which I REALLY like.

I'll eat half the neighborhood before I lay a finger on a dog!
But which half?
Our little neighborhood is about a 50-50 mix of old people that originally lived here and whose kids are grown and out of the house and younger families who moved in as other old people moved into condos.  I think we'll be fine here....

My friend's mom made her a bunch of masks from a dusty rose velour party dress. My friend mailed me some.. At some point they'll be here.

I wore a buff when we went to Home Depot on Saturday but with hair & glasses, it doesn't work well for me. 
Mine is black with white feather print.  Blue strings to tie.  I haven't tried it on/attempted to tie it, since I'm avoiding going into the hospital, but if I go out to a store or something I'll be wearing it.  Don't think I'll be wearing it while I attempt to go running this afternoon.

Our little neighborhood is about a 50-50 mix of old people that originally lived here and whose kids are grown and out of the house and younger families who moved in as other old people moved into condos.  I think we'll be fine here....
A nice variety.  Younger for a leaner cut, but older that you can just throw in the crockpot for the whole day and grab after.

I'm just glad we're all in agreement, that the dogs are to be saved, and neighbors to be eaten.

Yes we are Americans!  We dont eat the dogs..

<<Not being racist to the fucktards that do eat dogs, but fuck them just the same>>

Our stores are mostly back to normal, eggs are full again, meat was about half full,  people here are still too good to eat chicken leq quarters apparently, cause those are full.

Main aisle that is empty other than TP is the pasta aisle - & here I thought Denver was too good for gluten?

I went to Costco late last week and it was well stocked save for toilet paper and cleaning products, e.g. lysol wipes, hand soap, etc. They were also restricting the number of people they let in the store at one time as well, so that was nice.

I went Friday afternoon. Beef, bacon and butter areas were fairly. empty. Guess dont have to worry about heart disease if world is ending. 

Paper aisle empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Costco late last week and it was well stocked save for toilet paper and cleaning products, e.g. lysol wipes, hand soap, etc. They were also restricting the number of people they let in the store at one time as well, so that was nice.
Limiting number of people is good, but walmart near me it is groups of 3 or 4 people shopping together. Block aisles, walk so you cant get around them. I think it should be one person per family and no kids.

When Hawaii has problems, we find that there are “the usual suspects”. Depending on the type of issue, we can break it down by race, religion, living condition (specifically homeless), etc.

I was just surprised by what I was viewing and reading yesterday; things are different in Hawaii so we don’t have the same issues as on the mainland.

I came across a video on twitter where African Americans still appear to defy social distancing rules. So I started reading some news articles:

NBC10 Philly: “ Data on who is getting affected with the novel coronavirus and their racial demographics  is limited right now. Early results in Philadelphia however indicate a higher rate of contraction and death among African-Americans.”

Propublica: “Early data shows African Americans have contracted and died of coronavirus at an alarming rate ... Black people are being infected and dying at alarming rates. Here’s what Milwaukee is doing about it - and why governments need to start releasing data on the race of Covid-19 patients.”

Propublica: ”In Michigan where the state’s population is 14% black, African Americans made up 35% of cases and 40% of deaths as of Friday morning. Detroit, where a majority of residents are black, has emerged as a hotspot with a high death toll. As has New Orleans. Louisiana has not published case breakdowns by race, but 40% of the state’s death have happened in Orleans Parish, where the majority of residents are black.”

Propublica: “Illinois and North Carolina are two of the few areas publishing statistics on Covid-19 cases by race, and their data shows a disproportionate number of African-Americans were affected.”

NYT: “Days after a funeral in a Georgia town, coronavirus hit like a bomb ... Ninety percent of the people who died were African-American.”

wbez.org: “ In Chicago, 70% of COVID-19 deaths are black.”

It seems a lot of deaths can be prevented - by outreach.

Costcos near me are fairly well-stocked.  It was weird looking up to see all the upper shelves empty of literally everything, but the floor was pretty full.  It was weird the things that people were buying in bulk, but we still have restrictions on how much you can buy of one thing.  I did buy produce/fruit from there...I think produce is suffering at Costco because people aren't buying.  I did see crates of rotting fruit and the bag of mandarins I purchased did have a couple rotten in the middle (but I assumed that risk when buying fruit/produce during this weird time).  I try to go shopping in the middle of the week, like Wednesday, to avoid people.  Went shopping last week and grabbed a thing of toilet paper for a co-worker.  Going to see if I can get through another week with what I've got in my fridge/cabinets.  

I'm just being lazy and not cooking anything.  I'm so drained coming back due to the higher level of stress at the facility.

Mine is black with white feather print.  Blue strings to tie.  I haven't tried it on/attempted to tie it, since I'm avoiding going into the hospital, but if I go out to a store or something I'll be wearing it.  Don't think I'll be wearing it while I attempt to go running this afternoon.
We've seen a few people walking with masks on - usually older folks (50s-mid 60s).  And an older man "cycling" with a washcloth as a mask...

I have a friend in Raleigh who regularly runs with a buff around her neck, rarely pulled up unless it's actual winter. And she got so much side eye on her run this weekend for *not* having it up. And so she starting pulling it up when she approached people. 

I get running with a buff up. I don't do it even when it's -10F. But she said there were folks with masks and to me, that just seems silly to wear the mask when you're working out. Since I've seen an article about the likelihood of getting it when running/walking by someone while exercise is low. Plus a lot of people don't know how to put on a mask without contaminating it (same with gloves) so idk 

The nextdoor Karen's have already started Mask Shaming those not wearing masks - If I go for a run or bike ride I am not wearing a masks - I just believe that's dumb -

But I am seriously just not going to any stores on the weekends as I saw some weird shit this weekend on my one trip to Safeway (cause there Spinach Dip is +1)

When Hawaii has problems, we find that there are “the usual suspects”. Depending on the type of issue, we can break it down by race, religion, living condition (specifically homeless), etc.

I was just surprised by what I was viewing and reading yesterday; things are different in Hawaii so we don’t have the same issues as on the mainland.

I came across a video on twitter where African Americans still appear to defy social distancing rules. So I started reading some news articles:

NBC10 Philly: “ Data on who is getting affected with the novel coronavirus and their racial demographics  is limited right now. Early results in Philadelphia however indicate a higher rate of contraction and death among African-Americans.”

Propublica: “Early data shows African Americans have contracted and died of coronavirus at an alarming rate ... Black people are being infected and dying at alarming rates. Here’s what Milwaukee is doing about it - and why governments need to start releasing data on the race of Covid-19 patients.”

Propublica: ”In Michigan where the state’s population is 14% black, African Americans made up 35% of cases and 40% of deaths as of Friday morning. Detroit, where a majority of residents are black, has emerged as a hotspot with a high death toll. As has New Orleans. Louisiana has not published case breakdowns by race, but 40% of the state’s death have happened in Orleans Parish, where the majority of residents are black.”

Propublica: “Illinois and North Carolina are two of the few areas publishing statistics on Covid-19 cases by race, and their data shows a disproportionate number of African-Americans were affected.”

NYT: “Days after a funeral in a Georgia town, coronavirus hit like a bomb ... Ninety percent of the people who died were African-American.”

wbez.org: “ In Chicago, 70% of COVID-19 deaths are black.”

It seems a lot of deaths can be prevented - by outreach.
There seems to be some bias in the conclusions being drawn by your post. Or a least a severe lack of awareness.

First this...
(sorry, I seem to have lost the source of this quote)

So while everyone can get COVID, this is having different impacts on poorer people who live in high population dense areas.
Some families live 5 people in 3 rooms and can not distance at home. They must move through small public hallways to get from their unit to the street to shop for food in smalls corner stores.
Inner cities have great challenges to stop the spread.
And second this...
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/02/825730141/the-coronavirus-doesnt-discriminate-but-u-s-health-care-showing-familiar-biases

In one analysis, it appears doctors may be less likely to refer African Americans for testing when they show up for care with signs of infection.

Delays in diagnosis and treatment can be harmful, especially for racial or ethnic minority groups that have higher rates of certain diseases, such as diabetes, high blood pressure and kidney disease. Those chronic illnesses can lead to more severe cases of COVID-19.

In Memphis, a heat map shows where coronavirus testing is taking place. It reveals that most screening is happening in the predominantly white and well-off suburbs, not the majority black, lower-income neighborhoods.

In the end its really about this statement "Those chronic illnesses can lead to more severe cases of COVID-19."

Most Chronic diseases are curable / preventable by not eating a bunch of shit and a strong exercise program - and frankly "my people" /  southerners (White / Black) are terrible at both of those.

In the end its really about this statement "Those chronic illnesses can lead to more severe cases of COVID-19."

Most Chronic diseases are curable / preventable by not eating a bunch of shit and a strong exercise program - and frankly "my people" /  southerners (White / Black) are terrible at both of those.
I 100% agree, but that is significantly harder to do for poor people. "Shit" is cheap and easily accessible. Quality food is expensive and difficult to find in poor areas. It's amazing the percentage of poor black people who live in food deserts

A food desert is an area that has limited access to affordable and nutritious food, in contrast with an area with higher access to supermarkets or vegetable shops with fresh foods, which is called a food oasis. The designation considers the type and quality of food available to the population, in addition to the accessibility of the food through the size and proximity of the food stores.

In 2010, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) reported that 23.5 million Americans live in "food deserts", meaning that they live more than one mile from a supermarket in urban or suburban areas and more than 10 miles from a supermarket in rural areas.

Food deserts tend to be inhabited by low-income residents with reduced mobility, this makes them a less attractive market for large supermarket chains. Food deserts lack suppliers of fresh foods, such as meats, fruits, and vegetables. Instead, the available foods are often processed and high in sugar and fats, which are known contributors to the United States' obesity epidemic.

There seems to be some bias in the conclusions being drawn by your post. Or a least a severe lack of awareness.
True. As I said, I don’t know the situation on the mainland but it seems if you can get people to be aware of social distancing, you can reduce the severity of the problem. I just based it off of one video where some people were brushing off police asking them to disperse and they were arguing and trying to get in the face of the police.

In Hawaii, there are some homes (actually many) with 5 or 6 *families* under one roof, or two or three generations. Many of them (at least the ones I know) are using masks (like bandanas) when in the house and trying to practice distancing as best they can. They are also practicing disinfecting. So far, we haven’t heard of any of these homes getting affected in the news.

There is just one case where the son passed it on to his mother.

Latest posts

Back