2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp... mandatory work from home now instituted for all non-essential personnel.  Unless, of course, you need to come in for any reason.  Then you can come onsite, take care of bidness, and go back home.  Just do what you want, but you must work from home...

things-that-make-you-go-hmmm-gif-2.gif

We are supposed to go to Florida in a couple weeks with my 60 something parents.  Right or wrong, I am not scared of this thing one bit, but am hedging my bets that the beaches and restaurant are open (not to mention the flight).  They, however, are totally stoked and not really interested in canceling regardless of whether the beaches are closed or we eat take every meal.  I'm betting we have to cancel, but I'm not looking forward to tell them that.    

*still coming into work, at a hospital, where I am not a nurse/doctor/someone who can actually do anything to help*

fetchimage
That kind of stuff always really annoyed us when I was at the VA.  We asked about doing flex schedules or 4 - 10hr days and we were always told we couldn't because the Drs/nurses couldn't do it.  Hell, it took 6 years to finally get one telework day per 2 week pay period.

This reads like mother nature / god / spaghetti lord / etc  is coming to square up the marvels of modern medicine that we have invented to keep the elderly and sick alive..

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/health/coronavirus-united-states-deaths/index.html

For those not in healthcare when they say "underlying health conditions" that typically means - already gravely ill  / heavy smoker / drinker / heavy drug use / etc

We are supposed to go to Florida in a couple weeks with my 60 something parents.  Right or wrong, I am not scared of this thing one bit, but am hedging my bets that the beaches and restaurant are open (not to mention the flight).  They, however, are totally stoked and not really interested in canceling regardless of whether the beaches are closed or we eat take every meal.  I'm betting we have to cancel, but I'm not looking forward to tell them that.    
Which part of FL?

That kind of stuff always really annoyed us when I was at the VA.  We asked about doing flex schedules or 4 - 10hr days and we were always told we couldn't because the Drs/nurses couldn't do it.  Hell, it took 6 years to finally get one telework day per 2 week pay period.
Yeah...the VA is more or less the same.  I do have a compressed schedule, so I do get every other Friday off, but it feels silly for me to be here when I could easily do a majority of my work from home (none of my projects are running right now and it's mostly paperwork on my end).  Telework would probably be easier for me, because then I wouldn't get pulled into random projects/conversations with my office neighbor...Who has decided I need to know everything about them.

I’m attending a 2-day virtual conference today and tomorrow.  At first I was kind of annoyed that they didn’t just cancel it since it would be better for this meeting to get together in person and discuss.  But now that I’m sitting here in my pjs, able to wander upstairs for coffee or surf the internet, I think they should all be online!

I think most beaches are still open, but they are enforcing a 10 people group max, and 6ft spacing on the beach. My parents said the governor shut down all bars, night clubs, and tattoo parlors. A lot of places on the beach are considered "bars" instead of restaurants, so a lot of places will probably be closed. And the restaurants that are open can only operate at 50% capacity.

I think most beaches are still open, but they are enforcing a 10 people group max, and 6ft spacing on the beach. My parents said the governor shut down all bars, night clubs, and tattoo parlors. A lot of places on the beach are considered "bars" instead of restaurants, so a lot of places will probably be closed. And the restaurants that are open can only operate at 50% capacity.
Thats ok since we will be the only ones around :)

Topsail state park canceled our camping reservation next week.  FYI, that's a few miles east of Destin.

Found this: "Out of an abundance of caution, all events, activities, special event reservations, pavilion rentals and camping/cabin reservations at Florida State Parks have been canceled for the next 60 days. Florida State Parks remain open for day use; however, hours of operation have been reduced to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m."

The shots of the spring break crowd I saw sure didn't look heavily enforced!

Back