2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone showed me the us air traffic website today- pretty much leads me to believe there is no real way to contain this and sooner or later we’re all either going to catch it and we’ll have various levels of being sick -

Seems like unless you have this shit or sat next to someone who did we should just go on about life and see what the fuck happens yo?

At the gym with my (Trauma) Doc buddy after work and he was like . Don’t worry about right now, worry about when it comes back in late fall and everyone is not washing their hands / hoarding TP/ etc....

Someone showed me the us air traffic website today- pretty much leads me to believe there is no real way to contain this and sooner or later we’re all either going to catch it and we’ll have various levels of being sick -

Seems like unless you have this shit or sat next to someone who did we should just go on about life and see what the fuck happens yo?

At the gym with my (Trauma) Doc buddy after work and he was like . Don’t worry about right now, worry about when it comes back in late fall and everyone is not washing their hands / hoarding TP/ etc....
Pandemics often come in waves.  Usually the second is worse than the first.   Eventually enough get it so it makes it harder for those who didn’t get it to run into someone  that has it.   Almost want to get it over with.  If you run out of TP there’s always the Washington Post. 

I’d almost rather get it now before the good nurses are either burned out or have it themselves in a few months...

We recently booked a May vacation to Hawaii.    :blink:          :brickwall:            :dunno:
Hawaiian airlines just put out an email that they're waiving change fees for a while in light of the COVID uncertainties. Depending on who you booked with, you may be able to get something similar. They also gave info on their air purification/disinfecting methodologies put in place for the pandemic, which was mildly interesting.

We've got a state of emergency here as well, but only 2 confirmed cases so far. Governor actually declared a State of Emergency before we had ANY confirmed cases, but after a ship with a later confirmed case cruised through 4 islands... (Thanks dudette/dude).

Well now - take this with a huge grain of salt - I did some extra reading yesterday from REPUTABLE sources (Johns Hopkins, CDC, etc.) and one hope I came away with is that warm, humid climates like Hawaii's are not conducive to the spread of influenza and other coronaviruses. There have even been lab studies with guinea pigs where, beyond a certain temperature and humidity (but still within common tropical ranges), influenza infections between the animals drop to zero.  So maybe - just maybe - places like Hawaii, Guam, etc. are more safe than colder places like Seattle, etc. But again - huge grain of salt. Nobody knows for sure yet how this virus behaves, but it is essentially the same little package of proteins, so it seems reasonable to assume it is equally as vulnerable as those other viruses.

The other thing I found was that all that talk about children getting the virus and dying is BS. A pretty sound study was just concluded between a Chinese and US university that found that children do in fact get infected at nearly the same rate as adults (only 7% or so for those living with a confirmed COVID-19 case - really not terrible odds), BUT they have mild or no symptoms. Which makes them potentially great spreaders (and hence the value of school closures?) but NOTat risk of serious disease or death.

Edit - here's the article, summarizing the results of a study by Johns Hopkins and a Chinese university:  https://www.wired.com/story/kids-can-get-covid-19-they-just-dont-get-that-sick/

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost want to get it over with.
No you shouldn’t. On the Chinese news, the decline towards death - if you get this twice - is faster than the first time. The first time, the virus goes straight for your lungs and damages it in many people. Some people in the first time fall dead in the the streets when the virus attacks their heart. The best is to not get this by following the dynamic (changing) recommendations. I’m pretty sure masks may eventually be required wearing when the country gets enough. They are already considered very useful, even for unaffected people, in Asia. Already had some of my family members in China offer to send masks to us.

one hope I came away with is that warm, humid climates like Hawaii's are not conducive to the spread of influenza and other coronaviruses.
Many people get the flu every year in Hawaii, and it is pretty widespread still. And many people still have colds even though temperatures are comfortable enough to wear t-shirts and shorts.

I get the feeling that you lean more toward panic. 
No. I am super excited about this. In the fall of 2017 (Rosh Hashana to be exact), I was honestly expecting the rapture to happen. Since then, after the election of Trump, things have gotten really good and I sort of dozed off at the wheel, so to speak. This coronavirus has all the makings of putting us back on track to the Bible prophecies given in the books of Ezekiel, Psalms, Daniel and Revelation. Perhaps this will crash the world economy and mr. 666 will come on the scene with all the answers. In any case, the dynamics this has caused appears irreversible at this point. We are moving toward a one world system where TPTB will probably scare everyone into a cashless system (maybe by saying that cash can carry deadly viruses) and provide all with the false hopes of peace and security  (per the Bible, not my words).

Currently, I think the rapture will happen when the fullness of the gentiles is reached, that is, a last person accepting Christ as his/her Savior. It could happen at any time, and with the current environment of fear, more are turning to the Lord every hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I like how you present all of that as fact. Not even an attempt at a caveat.

View attachment 16683
Oh, sorry. Just saw the small arrow pointing up. Just sharing what I see on the news coming mostly out of Taiwan. A lot of similar “scary” info can also be found by following Dr. Eric Ding on Twitter (Harvard guy). His predictions are pretty dire for the US, which he says may be greater than 10k infected right now.

No. I am super excited about this. In the fall of 2017 (Rosh Hashana to be exact), I was honestly expecting the rapture to happen. Since then, after the election of Trump, things have gotten really good and I sort of dozed off at the wheel, so to speak. This coronavirus has all the makings of putting us back on track to the Bible prophecies given in the books of Ezekiel, Psalms, Daniel and Revelation. Perhaps this will crash the world economy and mr. 666 will come on the scene with all the answers. In any case, the dynamics this has caused appears irreversible at this point. We are moving toward a one world system where TPTB will probably scare everyone into a cashless system (maybe by saying that cash can carry deadly viruses) and provide all with the false hopes of peace and security  (per the Bible, not my words).

Currently, I think the rapture will happen when the fullness of the gentiles is reached, that is, a last person accepting Christ as his/her Savior. It could happen at any time, and with the current environment of fear, more are turning to the Lord every hour.
What the shit 

It's not the corona causing the stocks to drop.  It's the oil fight going with Saudi Arabia tanking the prices.
Which was precipitated by the lower demand for oil caused as a result of Covid-19. But beyond that, it's not like the global response to the underlying issue was instilling much confidence in the market anyway.

It's going to be a turbulent and rough for the markets for a while.

*hears about oil fighting and immediately thinks of Turkish oil fighting*

Why can't the Russians and Saudis take a leaf from this book?  Much more exciting and less stock market drama?

anigif_original-grid-image-28113-1485995204-6.gif

*hears about oil fighting and immediately thinks of Turkish oil fighting*

Why can't the Russians and Saudis take a leaf from this book?  Much more exciting and less stock market drama?
Put some spoiler tags or something! Even a NSFW note. Geez.

Latest posts

Back