What state are you waiting for?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was the only SE test taker in central and SW Virginia for both days in October 2013 and the Friday of April 2014.

I was the only SE test taker in central and SW Virginia for both days in October 2013 and the Friday of April 2014.
Nice! I hope they gave you a huge table to spread out all the references. I remember taking the Vertical in a crowded room with a bunch of PE exam takers. The desk reminded me of being in elementary school...

Well, to clarify, there were about 40 to 50 PE takers (Civil, MEP, etc...), but I was the only SE. Our test is in the community college in Central VA and the desks are pretty large, like the size of lab tables. I couldn't image sitting in a small elementary school size desk!

When I took vertical there were about 4 SE takers I believe. Hard to remember as those days the rooms were full of PE and survey takers as well. This April there were only three of us and the proctors were BORED.

Also, yes, Maine has only one testing location located central in the state. I live 15 minutes from the testing site so I definitely pity the people who come from southern Maine (or the one guy we had from Canada this year and a guy from Texas we had last year).

Something really awkward from when I took both exams last October. The first day was full of PE's and me, the lone SE taker (the Vertical exam, I didn't pass that one). Then, the second day I was the only examinee in the room. No FE's, PE's... just me and 3 proctors. They circled around my desk all day long. The long spiel that they read before each exam was read in the room as if there were 50 people there. That was the exam I passed, the Lateral.

When I took vertical there were about 4 SE takers I believe. Hard to remember as those days the rooms were full of PE and survey takers as well. This April there were only three of us and the proctors were BORED.

Also, yes, Maine has only one testing location located central in the state. I live 15 minutes from the testing site so I definitely pity the people who come from southern Maine (or the one guy we had from Canada this year and a guy from Texas we had last year).

Something really awkward from when I took both exams last October. The first day was full of PE's and me, the lone SE taker (the Vertical exam, I didn't pass that one). Then, the second day I was the only examinee in the room. No FE's, PE's... just me and 3 proctors. They circled around my desk all day long. The long spiel that they read before each exam was read in the room as if there were 50 people there. That was the exam I passed, the Lateral.
Haha, like hawks circling their prey. Reminds me of being out on bridge inspection and getting too close to a hawk's nest. I remember during one of my lateral attempts, one of the proctors came up to my desk and stood there for what felt like at least 1 minute. Picked up my straight edge ruler and starting staring at it closely. No idea why, maybe he was bored?. So then I said: "Is there a problem?" And then he set it down and walked away.

Congrats on passing the Lateral (1st try I assume). And good luck with the Vertical. Any day now!!! (I hope)

1st try on lateral, 2nd for vertical. Ready to be done, as I'm sure you all are as well.

Waiting on Louisiana. I was one of two for both vertical and lateral, however, I was the only person taking both. Different other person for Friday and Saturday. Friday was VERY crowded with all disciplines of the PE and PS in one room. Saturday there were three total people in the room including the proctor.

I was very unhappy with the proctors this go-around in Maine.... I vividly remember being distracted by their eating, opening food, etc. Maybe thats because there were only three of us taking the test - it was a relatively quiet group. Cleary there isnt a 2:1 ratio of graders like there are proctors for the SE.... Guess it won't be today.....

Yeah, not looking promising for today. So I went back and checked the time stamps of result notification emails for my previous 3 lateral attempts (all times in Central):

6/19/12 (PA) - 1:07 PM

6/13/13 (TX) - 3:38 PM

12/16/13 (TX) - 12:51 PM

Should we make this the next time-killing question on this thread???

It looks like the earliest results last year were posted on the Thursday after the grading workshop. So, some states may release tomorrow.

I was very unhappy with the proctors this go-around in Maine.... I vividly remember being distracted by their eating, opening food, etc. Maybe thats because there were only three of us taking the test - it was a relatively quiet group. Cleary there isnt a 2:1 ratio of graders like there are proctors for the SE.... Guess it won't be today.....

Eh, it didn't bother me too much as it was overall quieter than it would have been with tons of PE or FE takers in the room. The two knitting were actually kind of pleasant to listen to, kind of like a ticking clock. However, yes, when they got bored and started rummaging around and doing things I could see someone getting distracted by that. Well, hopefully it didn't bother you too much.

Last April when I got the results from Maine it was June 21st... Hopefully we don't have to wait that long this year.

Just FYI, I called NCEES and they confirmed that the structural scoring workshop was this past weekend. However, they wouldn't give me a release date... at all. I also called the Nevada board, and they confirmed that the scores have not been released.

Well today is Day 61 (from 4/11/14)

I think it's been fairly consistent for the spring (end of week following scoring workshop weekend) and fall (beginning of 2nd week following the scoring workshop weekend). Maybe I'll kill some time tonight putting together a historical summary.

I do remember April 2011 being an outlier. Exam on 4/8/11. Results released by NCEES to licensing boards on 6/29/11 (82 days). I'll assume that's because it was the 1st time for the new exam format.

See attached if you're interested in when results came out in the past, how long it took and when the scoring workshop was held.

SE Exam - Historical Releases.png

Last edited by a moderator:
See attached if you're interested in when results came out in the past, how long it took and when the scoring workshop was held.
Just to clarify, the release dates are when NCEES released results to licensing boards. Not necessarily when individual states notified examinees of their results.

F5......F5......F5......F5......F6-what? Oh hey that lets you select the URL bar..F5.....F5......F5.....F5......

I'm just waiting for the NCEES login page to say "temporarily down for maintenance". Usually that's a pretty good indication it's almost time. Or maybe that just happens on the day the PE is released...

Latest posts

Back