What state are you waiting for?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda surprised CA is taking so long if the CTS states are out. I would guess you'll see it today. Mine hit around noon local time so probably another hour I'll bet you'll see something.

Nope, still nothing, unfortunately. Maybe I'm better off not knowing. haha

Just taking a SWAG here, but the 29/40 is 72.5% and was likely good enough to pass the morning. Somebody else had a 31/40, two Acceptable, a Needs Improvement, and an Unacceptable and didn't make it.

BELOW IS A COMPLETE GUESS AS TO HOW SCORING WORKS AND HAS NO BASIS IN THE WAY NCEES ACTUALLY SCORES

To quantify the afternoon lets say acceptable is worth 100 points, Needs Imp is 50 and Unacceptable is 0. Averaging all that together he would have 62.5% in the afternoon and added to his morning he would have averaged a 70% (provided the sections are equally weighted) and still didn't pass. So, I would say you probably can't have any Unacceptable OR you need at least 70% in the afternoon as well. This means you would need at least two Acceptables and two Needs Imp in the afternoon, so I'm guessing you were close.

I would say to work hard at the afternoon problems. The multiple choice section you can usually eliminate an answer or two, or "find" an answer somewhere in the code, and, if you miss one, not nearly the percentage of points as missing one portion of an afternoon problem. Also in the afternoon, it's quite obvious if you don't know how to solve a problem, not so much in the morning.
On 2 of my Lateral Bridge attempts, I had acceptable on all 3 PM problems with 20/40 and 18/40 in AM. So if acceptable is 100%, in theory I had 75% overall and did not pass. I guess that means there is a minimum score required in the morning which I have yet to achieve...

Looks like I failed lateral again, I'm laughing a bit since it is just nuts. Not sure I even want this anymore.

A little delayed in posting this, but VA was out last Thursday and passed Vertical- Buildings (2nd attempt)! Passed Lateral - Buildings back in October so I'm golden now!

Thanks for all of the moral support on this forum. Congratulations to those that passed and keep at it for those not receiving favorable results.

Yikes, not sure if it sucks to be that close or not. Either way, you're 90% there, let's both get it next time.

TehMightyEngineer, I feel your pain. 31/40 AM, (1) Acc + (3) Need Imp PM. 3rd time I took this, pretty pissed. I called and complained to NCEES, the guy bumbled around essentially stating they wouldn't share the grading, but it was a composite morning and afternoon score. However, there were minimum levels to be achieved for both. IE you couldn't get a 40/40 and all Unnaceptable on the afternoon. He did state they gave partial credit for the process, but would not show you the graders comments or allow an appeal/rescore. I felt like i had the process correct for all problems and finished each problem. CA used to have a process to appeal and regrade, but they dumped it in 2011.

CaTommy, you were even closer than I was! Man, seems like there's a lot of people this year who were right on the edge of passing. This sucks, I really wish there was some way to do a little extra work and "bump up" our scores to passing rather than go through another entire test just for another few percent of grade.

That is close to what I got my first attempt, except 28/40 AM, same PM. It's frustrating to know that you've passed the individual parts just not at once. I really wish they gave you some comments. I understand why they can't give you the answers but how can you improve your PM technique without some feedback?

Agreed. The morning results give decent feedback but the afternoon results are so vague that I have no idea how to improve.

I agree with the ambiguity of the afternoon grading score and the lack of transparency of the results. I agree with "no idea how to improve" if I don't know first what the graders are looking for, and second what i have missed providing in my answers. California used to have an appeal process allowing you to review your graded essay problems, then provide a defense for your answer. It is still in their rules and regulations, though when i call them they state it only applies to state specific exams, not national. This changed when they dropped the state specific portion of the SE test.

Also, you really want to get pissed, take a look at the CA Bar exam scoring/grading process. For a profession that works in ambiguity, they spell out exactly the grading, weighting, and return a failed exam to you.

Exam Review Policy.PNG

BXDescriptGrade_R.pdf

Attachments

• BXDescriptGrade_R.pdf
    251.9 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back