the spring 2023 SE exam waiting game begins!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washington results out. Passed both. Thought gravity morning was extremely difficult and lateral afternoon the same if that’s any constellation for anyone out there. Best of luck all!

Do states release their results at different times? Florida has not released theirs on NCEES as of 2:04 p.m. EST
In case anyone else does not have their exam results like Florida, I spoke to NCEES. They said that if your state board elects to release their results through NCEES itself, that the results cannot be released until the state board gives permission. Hence, why some states have theirs before others. Hope that helps those that are still waiting.

Yes passed on the vertical, but Lateral was rough. Not having earthquake loads here in Florida was not a help. Halfway there but I am content with that. Onto October

For anyone who cares, saw this theory floating around on a previous years forum ^
Only applies for buildings.

View attachment 28610
For anyone who cares, saw this theory floating around on a previous years forum ^
Definitely does not work for bridges. I can confirm that. 22/40 in AM, A/IR/A. I should have 22+10+5+20 = 57/80 for bridges. Also someone has posted 23/40 AM, A/A/A on this thread page 1, that is 23+10+10+20 = 63/80 for bridges.

Last edited:
Definately does not work for bridges. I can confirm that. 22/40 in AM, A/IR/A. I should have 22+10+5+20 = 57/80 for bridges. Also someone has posted 23/40 AM, A/A/A on this thread page 1, that is 23+10+10+20 = 63/80 for bridges.
Can it be pass if get A/IR/IR/IR in pm section?

Can it be pass if get A/IR/IR/IR in pm section?
I think that theory is specifically for Buildings. So, as per the theory for you to clear the exam you will need a minimum of 31/40 in the AM part. That way you will have 31+10+5+5+5 =56/80

Last edited:
Wow. I don't think i've ever been quoted before. This was my original post and I still believe it holds true. I've yet to be disproven (for buildings).
So you believe you can have an unacceptable in the afternoon and pass? General consensus around the office is an U is a death sentence

So you believe you can have an unacceptable in the afternoon and pass? General consensus around the office is an U is a death sentence
I've heard that one U is a death sentence as well, but they don't release passing score breakdowns, so who really knows? Maybe there are people who do get one U and crush it in the morning (like a 37/40 or something). Also, it may be that most people who do not pass generally do get one U in the afternoon, but also don't score so great in the morning. Again, without seeing the breakdown of passing scores it's tough to say, but to @TheCraic 's point, the theory seems to work from what I've seen.

View attachment 28610
I think, it is more delicate than that. The graders must be given a rubric consisting of partial credits for final answer, equations and code citations, required graphics, abiding by assumptions, cleanniness and etc... So, you could be and A but get 8 or 9, you could be an IA and get 5 or 6, you could be an UA and get 2.

I refuse to accept that a single UA in the afternoon is an automatic fail. Say you get 35 in the AM and 3 A’s and a UA in the afternoon. By my theorized scoring system that’s a 65/80 or a 81%. There’s no way they can fail you with that score. I think it’s just that a single UA is very hard to overcome.

Back