The Fat Season has arrived!!!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green bean casserole and chicken were a hit.  I doubled the cheese on the green bean casserole which helped. 

The "dry brine" (bullshit term) was the best chicken I've ever made, period.  I spatchcocked, and used a heavy dose of kosher salt and baking powder on the chicken before letting sit in the fridge for just over 24 hours uncovered.  Rinsed, patted dry, creole butter stuffed under the skin, pepper, paprika on top, bake at 400F for one hour. 

Mother of God, it was the juiciest chicken I've ever had, and I've done a lot of wet brines.  Both of us normally hate white meat, and we were fighting for scraps.  Even the cold leftovers were juicy.  The salt/baking powder and airing in the fridge really dry the skin out, so it was as crispy and perfectly browned as it gets.  Going to have to repeat for X-mas.  

I had an equipment failure around 2 am. a few years ago I committed BBQ felony and bought a propane smoker, so much easier... until your burner goes bad at around 2 AM when you have a scheduled 12 PM feast planned.  I am just glad I was up and I was able to put it in the oven to keep it cooking without all of us having to get worms.. and then I couldn't go back to sleep.  It was crazy good weather so I hung outside and watched the sun come up by the fire.. then everyone was wondering why I was cranky and ready for  a nap at 9 AM

we had hoped to have our basement finished in time for these guests but that didn't happen, my mom made her unhappiness with this known as she had to stay in one of our kids rooms - which of course sent my wife into bitch mode...

I need to get back to my strategy and just not hosting any more holidays, such a waste of time off...

I need to get back to my strategy and just not hosting any more holidays, such a waste of time off...
well-duh.jpg

I let myself get guilted into it when we went to the Keys for vacation last summer and I told my parents we didn't want them to come down (they live in tampa) well what I really told them was we were renting a fairly small house and there would be no place for them to stay and they would have to get their own accommodations..

I let myself get guilted into it when we went to the Keys for vacation last summer and I told my parents we didn't want them to come down (they live in tampa) well what I really told them was we were renting a fairly small house and there would be no place for them to stay and they would have to get their own accommodations..
That's a surefire way to set off a parental hissy fit. 

crazy thing was that the oil was at about 300 deg, and I hand't yet put the bird in yet. the oil started smoking. I partially covered it and then it went up.

I really like the taste of the fried turkey but just don't want to deal with the potential mess.  Where do you put all that grease?

just kidding.  I'm holding it until I can drop it off to someone w/ a grease trap

I really like the taste of the fried turkey but just don't want to deal with the potential mess.  Where do you put all that grease?
Because you asked: 

http://earth911.com/recycling-guide/how-to-recycle-cooking-oil/

If no option exists, call your local fire department to see if used oil is accepted.
DO NOT ASK NJ though.

If recycling is not available in your community, seal your cooking oil container and dispose in the garbage.
This is what I used to do. 

for smaller amounts of oil well put in an old container (sour crème, cottage cheese, etc) and let it somewhat solidify and throw it away but don't know what I would do with 5 gallons at once..

when we do fish fries we pour the grease over a bunch of newspaper and paper towels in a cardboard box and then set it ablaze in the fire pit

Don't let RG fool you...he's most likely converting it for his biodiesel VW he drives to Boulder on the weekends. 

I feel like @wilheldp_PE should chime in with a good fire story here. 
I've been on vacation for 2 weeks, so I don't have many good stories right now.  Come January/February, I'll start getting all the turkey fryers that people mis-used to set their deck/house on fire over the holidays.

Back