So like what do you think the cut score will be? Like seriously?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all about base load man!! None of this peaking plant nonsense 
I don't disagree with you per se. But baseload is having trouble all over. Gas should be peaking, but its being run as baseload now. It's gonna suck in ~10 years when CNG is super expensive again -yes I know its a cycle and it'll get cheap again a few years later, but that's besides the point.

Time will tell. But the licenses in most of the midwest plants I worked at are coming up due very soon with no intention of renewal.

In the midwest, when I was a consultant power engineer, many of the coal-fired systems were being converted over CNG turbines.
NG is here to stay barring any major carbon tax. It is relatively abundant, easy to transport, and versatile.

I don't know what CGS is. I am a federal DoD employee. 

However, if you work transmission in the PNW I pretty much know you work for BPA... if I pass the exam I will be looking for a job at the Vancouver office!
Ohh, you're an 830. That's because so few agencies are allowed to offer 840. Most nukes get classified as 830 or 1306

Fortunately for the pipeline industry, CFR 192 Pipelines are a hot item and will be so long as NG remains important.

So then a Nuke is no longer economically advantageous so long as natural gas is at its price point?
Nope.  Especially when Part 52 licensing and first of a kind design changes f*ck you into the ground. 

So then a Nuke is no longer economically advantageous so long as natural gas is at its price point?
Combined with an uptick in distributed sources (wind and solar), it isn't for new construction no. Go back to 2004-08, nukes were the ultra competitive.

Not from an infrastructure, permitting, and overall cost of operation perspective it isn't.
Operations costs are still historically low. Spot pricing is a different problem but that effects all large baseload.

inffrastructure, permitting etc - hereafter called debt service, is more a factor for new construction

NG is here to stay barring any major carbon tax. It is relatively abundant, easy to transport, and versatile.
Yep, economics. But we'll hit a cycle where its gets expensive again and the calculus will change.

inffrastructure, permitting etc - hereafter called debt service, is more a factor for new construction
Agreed to a certain extent. But permitting doesn't only apply to new construction. At least that was my experience with all the Exelon plants in the midwest. They were going under due to all the upkeep and maintenance. And when I say cost of operation, I'm talking paid personnel. CNG operations are becoming close to being fully automated (I also consulted on a few of these projects in the Tampa, FL area).

Does it matter? :dunno:
If it is substantiated to be unnecessary than it is justified to be change. I think it matters. I think that is why engineers exist...to make progressive improvements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed to a certain extent. But permitting doesn't only apply to new construction. At least that was my experience with all the Exelon plants in the midwest. They were going under due to all the upkeep and maintenance. And when I say cost of operation, I'm talking paid personnel. CNG operations are becoming close to being fully automated (I also consulted on a few of these projects in the Tampa, FL area).
I'm thinking $/MWhr. The smaller plants are being closed first because the hotel load is too high.

I haven't seen the most recent operations costs /MWe for NG, so I'll take your word for it.

Back