So like what do you think the cut score will be? Like seriously?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would hope the questions pass the 6 minutes rule and difficulty standard before giving it out.
Six minute rules is an average for taking the test. Not a rule per se for the exam designers. Some questions are meant to eat time.

Why set questions with more than one answers?

more than one correct error? Those questions are in error and were never meant to be included in the test. Those are excluded from the cut score calculation.

Could it be too hard to figure a passing score if general exam performance was bad or just too good?

Release date.
I'm not aware of any correlation between ease/difficultly of exam or examinee performance, and release date. Once the "cut score" is determined during the 'cut score' or 'exam standard setting' meeting it is used going forward for those exam problems. The cut score is based on what an average PE would score not how a given group of (non-PE) examinees perform in a cycle.

It wouldn't surprise me if the people in those meetings aren't even consciously aware of how many people would pass for a given cut score.

I would hope the questions pass the 6 minutes rule and difficulty standard before giving it out. Why set questions with more than one answers?
That's not what I meant.  Sometimes a lot of test takers who pass choose between two choices and if NCEES determines that the question is unclear they can give credit to both choices.  I believe this has happened before.  For this reason it's hard to say exactly what the cut score is.  If you are less than 56/80 it's guaranteed you will fail.  If you are at 56 then it's borderline.  57 or 58 I believe is comfortable territory.  

I can't believe this is the first topic in the hot April 2018 thread.  I think using the term "Passing" score gives a more positive feeling.  Who started the term "cut" score anyway.  

We are not playing golf here, but I'd like a few mulligans.

They started the "cut score" because that's where they separate the failure from the success.. Like using a pair of scissors and decide to cut that line.. Thus Cut Score... 

tenor.gif

If the cut score is 57, and say 4 questions were deemed void, a 53 would pass being scaled to a 57?

If there are 4 void questions, does everyone get 4 pts added to their score?  What if you got all 4 right?  Doesn't matter?

Also, Power seems to have a low pass rate usually of ~60%, and the cut score is assumedly 56.  Does that indicate if the cut score was lowered to 55 that it would go up to 70% and that would be too many?

Last edited by a moderator:
1) don't try to figure out the cut score. It's a fool errand.

2) I highly doubt 4+ questions are ever tossed.

3) depends on if tossed or if credit is given for multiple answers

Has it ever been established that a 57/80 is actually a nominal count of 57 and not some scaled equivalent?

Indirectly yes. Those that fail get an exam diagnostic that shows how many questions they got right. The diagnostic doesn't provide the cut score, and intentionally skews comparison bar charts so its hard to determine the cut score too. If enough people post their failing score in a given exam in a given session then the cut score can be determined by inference.

Texas gives everyone their "score", but it appears to be scaled.

Was it ever established the scoring method isnt a bunch of drunk hooligans getting together at "exam setting meetings" playing darts? 
Of couse! "hooligans" and "darts" is a British thing. This is 'Merica! So obviously that's false.

Was it ever established the scoring method isnt a bunch of drunks on vacation hooligans getting together at "exam setting meetings" playing darts shooting dice? 
fify, and no

I really doubt 57 would be the cut score for power seeing as how nobody on these boards has ever reported a failed score of 54 or higher for that exam. According to this it looks to be 53ish. 

Back