"Ill Fame" ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does say it will save him a lot of fuss and nuisance.
I also like that on the second page there's an article about how the Post Office reported a $2M surplus. Amazing where we were as a country almost 100 years ago.
I remember seeing something on the history channel that said the US economy DOUBLED between 1914 to 1918. That's pretty amazing when you think about it, but makes sense. Mass production, the automobile, electricity, plumbing, and WWI industry all exploded in that era.
And there was none of this pesky environmental regulation. Companies could just burn and dump toxic chemicals out behind the factory.

The good old days...
In a glass half empty sort of mood today?

Sometimes I feel like we are the first generation who's expected to correct the mistakes of the past hundred years:

Environment

Social Security

Poorly-made infrastructure

Pensions

Lifetime health care for retirees

etc

Meanwhile we have to make sure our kids have it easier than we do.

Providing for ourselves in the present seems to be less of a priority.

That was not the case in 1914 when the economy was going great guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed reading that old newspaper. There was a ton of news packed into 2 pages, and the ads were non-obtrusive and fun to read. People just don't write like that any more. I don't just mean the language differences. I mean the amount of detail included in the stories and the writers really cared about telling the story. Nowadays, you'd be lucky to get one article that well written in an entire newspaper, and you'd have at least 10 obnoxious full-page ads.

But it's the "internet's fault" that newspapers are dying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back