Looking for advice on which PE Exam to take (& when)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CivilAgE

Reaction score
Background info:

• I have a BS & MS in Agricultural Engineering + Soil Science

• I'm at my 3 years of experience (not 4 due to my Master’s) with the federal government working as a Civil/Agricultural Engineer

• Job duties are designing, reviewing, and approving as-builts for soil and water conservation systems:

~wetlands, grassed waterways, subsurface drainage systems, edge of field practices (denitrifying bioreactors and saturated buffers), livestock pipelines and watering facilities, grade stabilization structures (rock chutes or earthen dams), watershed protection dams (like floodplain control), streambank restoration and stabilization, ponds, terraces and water/sediment control basins, ag waste structures (mainly manure management or composting facilities made of concrete)

• Considering either the Ag & Bio or Civil WRE

• I've looked at both exam’s reference manuals, testing questions, & exam examples, I’d feel strong in certain aspects of both & weak in others for both

• The advantage to Civil WRE (in my opinion) is that there seems to be more practice exams/study materials since it is a larger/more well known discipline, plus I can take it basically whenever vs only once a year (Ag)

• However, I believe I have more of the Ag & Bio reference materials (books from school mainly)

• I’ll be fresh from multiple work trainings at the end of August & have had a few other beneficial trainings

• But would waiting another year with more design/work experience be more useful?

• I feel like I actually have time to study the next few months with how both my professional & personal lives are currently (although you never know what the future holds but I feel like I have more control in this short term vs a year+ out)

So the options:

A) Take the Ag & Bio exam this October (24, 2023)
B) Take Civil WRE exam at anytime since it is offered year-round
C) Wait and take the Ag & Bio exam until next year (sometime in mid-late October)

Or more recently I have even considered taking both to technically be liscensed in both disciplines (because some day I might jump ship to the private sector in the ag machinery industry)

All comments & questions are welcomed

I personally would take the water resources PE exam. It historically has the highest pass rates, and has fewer standards to know, and it sounds like you did well with it in school. It still applies to work in various ways. Sounds like a win-win to me but those others sound great too!

Back