"Ill Fame" ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first apartment was in a house that used to be a funeral home.
...my grandmother's house was the scene of a brutal murder where the husband/dad stabbed his wife and three children then killed himself. That was a creepy house.
WTF? Does your family know how to pick houses or I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

The creepiest house to live in wouldn't be a former brothel or a former funeral home, but a house where the previous resident was an engineer!
My House ^ I bought it from a fellow engineer who built it.

(I just wish he was a rich engineer that bought better grade material, and wish he was an engineer that had a wife with taste, but neither were the case)

My first apartment was in a house that used to be a funeral home.
...my grandmother's house was the scene of a brutal murder where the husband/dad stabbed his wife and three children then killed himself. That was a creepy house.
WTF? Does your family know how to pick houses or I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

The creepiest house to live in wouldn't be a former brothel or a former funeral home, but a house where the previous resident was an engineer!
My House ^ I bought it from a fellow engineer who built it.

(I just wish he was a rich engineer that bought better grade material, and wish he was an engineer that had a wife with taste, but neither were the case)
Hey, the house has last been a convent before it was apartments...it wasn't until after I moved in that I found out it's full history.

And our house was redone by people who used cheap materials to renovate...and with a wife with poor taste. We're slowly trying to fix all of that...

And our house was redone by people who used cheap materials to renovate...and with a wife with poor taste. We're slowly trying to fix all of that...
You folks get to taste the wives as part of the sale? I guess they do things differently in other parts of the country.

Passaic_Murder.jpg

This is how it hung in my grandmother's house.

EDIT: I found the articles on the murder! It took some work, but here are the links to the pdfs. Turns out the guy was an architect and structural engineer. I also like that there's an article on the second page about encouraging America to start a "US Department of Aeronautics" because "America is asleep to the possibilities of aerial transport."

"Drugs Family, Slays 2 With Ax, Kills Self"

Page 1: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn8.../ed-1/seq-1.pdf

Page 7: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn8.../ed-1/seq-7.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
My in-laws house, the house that my wife grew up in, is also the scene of a murder.

I can't remember if it were the 40's or 50's when it happened, I will need to ask my F-I-L to re-tell the story.

Two guys must have been in an argument down the street, and one pulled a knife on the other, so the other took off. The knife carrying one chased him. The guy ran into my in-laws house (been in their family since before then) and just got into the foyer, when the other guy ran in, stabbed him, threw the knife, and ran away. The guy that got stabbed bled out right there in their foyer. The police couldn't find the knife.

MANY years later, my father in law found the knife behind a radiant heater in that room. It landed between two of the heating fins and had been lodged in there for like 30 years.

The house is a 110+ year old Victorian style. I'm sure that many houses of that age have some interesting stories.

It does say it will save him a lot of fuss and nuisance.

I also like that on the second page there's an article about how the Post Office reported a $2M surplus. Amazing where we were as a country almost 100 years ago.

I also like that on the second page there's an article about how the Post Office reported a $2M surplus. Amazing where we were as a country almost 100 years ago.
I remember seeing something on the history channel that said the US economy DOUBLED between 1914 to 1918. That's pretty amazing when you think about it, but makes sense. Mass production, the automobile, electricity, plumbing, and WWI industry all exploded in that era.

I remember seeing something on the history channel that said the US economy DOUBLED between 1914 to 1918. That's pretty amazing when you think about it, but makes sense. Mass production, the automobile, electricity, plumbing, and WWI industry all exploded in that era.
And there was none of this pesky environmental regulation. Companies could just burn and dump toxic chemicals out behind the factory.

The good old days...

crazy story! AT least the two girls survived.
My mom seems to remember that at least one of the girls lived in a mental institution for most of her life.

It's kinda crazy to think about the economy doubling by 1919, especially know what awaits the US 10 years from that moment.

And there was none of this pesky environmental regulation. Companies could just burn and dump toxic chemicals out behind the factory.

The good old days...
In a glass half empty sort of mood today?

The good old days...
that is the only reason my job exists.

Latest posts

Back